Anybody install a siphon360 to prevent black/grey water odor? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #29

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I installed a solar vent fan that I got from Adventure RV. It evacuates the air out side.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #30

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Trap in Shower Valve--how do I use a tankwand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Over the years I have only had a smell issue a couple of times.

Once it was the grey tank. Even though I am careful about wiping down dishes etc before washing, stuff does make its way into the tank and can accumulate on the bottom of it due to the location of the dump valve it does not all flush out. The weather was hot so sediment/stuff in the bottom of the tank got smelly. Used a Tank Wand to clean it out. I now use the wand a couple of times a year to rinse out the grey water tank and have not had the same smell issue return.
Carol or others--we did some cleaning, for about four hours yesterday, and I also put bac out down the shower drain. We left the a/c off and just had the fantastic fan, and some screened windows open. Today we had other stuff to do and only went back at 7 pm to close it up as it may rain. The shower/bath STILL smelled. I HATE that smell. The cabin is okay, but I have to fix this.

I did get a tank wand and use it on the black water--I'm not sure I did it right though. I think I forgot to shut the balck water tank valve! So I need to do it again tomorrow. But the toilet smells fine when you open it--the stuff I put down actually makes it smell very nice. So it's obviously the shower drain.

So how exactly do I put that tank wand down the shower drain? Do I just take off the grating there, and just snake it down? How far down does it go? Will that get any sediment or food out of there?

If not, how do I clean the trap pipe? Please explain. I do have a handy person at the RV park but he's never worked on anything small like this.

I can call the plumber, but I'd rather do THAT when I have the hepvo mod and maybe a new sink and possibly a ceramic toilet (not sure about THAT expense or not).

Any advice from anybody appreciated. I just can't stand that smell and couldn't stand to use the camper until I have it fixed. I think I closed the shower valve but I'll have to double check tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
If you have a rubber trap under the trailer you just loosen the 2 screws and take it off.. A possibly stinky job, but anyone can do it. It could just be junk stuck in the trap. And put whatever made your black tank smell pretty down the shower drain when you're done...
Old 06-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #32

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
If that smell is coming from the shower drain there are two possibilities. Either it's something in the p-trap, or there's a hole in the p-trap so it's not holding water to block smells from the gray tank. Either way, follow Ziggy's suggestion and you'll figure it out.

Walt
Old 06-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #33

California
Oh yea, and flush the crap (no pun intended) out of the grey tank. If it were me I would first fill the grey tank, open the grey dump valve and run water nonstop for 25 min. or so through shower and sink. Preferably with a sewer hookup, but "out behind the barn" would also work. Be careful that the water doesn't go down the drains faster than it can go out the dump valve and cause a flood. After you have flushed it, close the dump valve, add some black tank chemicals to the shower drain, fill the grey tank by running the shower until it starts to overflow the shower drain. Let it sit over night, flush again and see what happens. If you have blocks raising the curb side wheel few inches may get a better flow out the grey dump and facilitate flushing.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #34

Georgia
Thanks, Ziggy. You guys, I see the picture of the p trap in Eileen's book, which I bought. So it seems like something the handyman at this campground can do. Where can I buy a new p trap rather than clean out a stinky one?

I did flush it the other day but will do so again. I will try to leave some water in there with the odorloss--can I put odorloss into the grey tank? I can't quite see how with that p trap I can use the tank wand in the grey tank.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #35

Georgia
I'd like to either thoroughly clean or just replace the p trap tomorrow, while ordering the hepvo valve and maybe the new sink from customs. I hate our bathroom sink, it's the old style and somewhat yellowed with age.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #36

SW Virginia
That rubber p-trap is a common item available at any sLowe's or Home Despot.

Walt
Old 06-07-2015, 10:49 PM   #37

California
I really don't think the grey wand would do much good in the grey tank anyway. Yes you can put a tank treatment in the grey tank.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:42 AM   #38

Georgia
Thanks much Ziggy and Walt. I will replace the p trap today and will order hepvo mod. How do I put the tsp or odorless into the grey tank? It wouldn't get down there w that p trap? I would love to get something into the tank. I'm going to buy a rubber bathtub stopper too but the bathroom does smell like stinky old socks or I don't know what! I know its not the black tank as the toilet smells nice from tsp even when flushing.

On another note, when I flush the toilet, the part that moved aside looks like it has caked on poo from years or else mineral discoloration (I'm not examining it close up ha ha). What can I use to scrub that off or dissolve it? The opening of the toilet area there when you flush also looks this color)

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-08-2015, 06:54 AM   #39

SW Virginia
If you just pour that deodorant down the sink and follow it with some water, you'l flush it into the tank, no problem.

And I just put on a pair of disposable gloves and scrub the toilet surfaces with a 3M scrubbie and some soap. But I tend not to be very squeamish about such things.

Walt
Old 06-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #40

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I really don't think the grey wand would do much good in the grey tank anyway. Yes you can put a tank treatment in the grey tank.
I don't know about the piping set up on the Casita but I know that the tank wand it will indeed work well on the grey tank on clearing out food bits on a Scamp. I am very careful to wipe off dishes etc before washing but I am always surpassed at the amount of coffee grinds & small food bits etc that accumulate on the bottom of the grey tank. The grey tank drain come off the end of the tank and it sits a 1/2" of so above the bottom of the grey tank preventing the tank from completely draining and trapping all the little bits of food stuff in the tank when you dump. If the tank is left empty in hot weather it can get stinky as it dries up!!

Sticking the water wand all the way into the tank helps a lot get those bits of food items to flush up and over the lip of the tank and out the drain. When I first got my trailer I also attached a bottle type cleaning brush to a long stick and stuck it into the drain opening and ran it around inside the tank - then used the water wand - you would be surprised at how much dried up organic film came out of the tank.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #41

SW Virginia
A popular way to scrub out the black tank is to pour in a bag of ice cubes and a little dish detergent just before a long drive. It works very well. Unfortunately there's no way to get the cubes into the grey tank, barring a fairly major modification.

Walt
Old 06-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #42

Georgia
Hi all, brief update. I did the flush again (because, yeah, the first time I did it, I left the grey valve open and the shower valve closed.) So I flushed with them open, then flushed with them closed, adding odorloss to the sink. It helps somewhat but the distinct pew odor is still there. I really am not quite sure where it's coming from, but if I open the toilet, it smells fine. But I haven't exactly stuck my nose right on the shower drain.
Also, when I run the sink water, at first, it smells a little moldy coming out of the tap. So something in there is not clean--it could even be the shower hose itself. Maybe I need a new shower hose. Or maybe it's the plastic piping under the sink.

I did go to Lowes and get a new p trap (a green rubber thing) and two clamps. The guy who can change it for me for a few bucks, was working today from noon to eight, and I didn't get there in time. I got a little cute microfiber rug for the entrance, various cleaning and waxing stuff at autozone. DH did the whole exterior with soap and water but didn't have time to wax--does that mean we have to soap and rinse lightly again before waxing? It looks nice and clean now.

I didn't get a chance to clean more on the inside either (we'd cleaned the bathroom and all the surfaces of the wood/fiberglass, but not the interior sides of the surfaces, nor the fridge interior. We also haven't vacuumed, nor steam cleaned etc.

So anyway I hope we can get back tomorrow to get the p trap done in the morning.

Clearly there's SOMETHING in the grey or black tank or piping, probably the grey tank/piping. It smells bacterial.

Eddie recommends the hepvo mod (I need to order by email--little customs wrote me back)--the dometic ceramic toilet and maybe cleaning and even waxing the bathroom fiberglass if it absorbed the odor but it seems okay from a sniff. Who knows.

Questions:

1) To clean the grey tank with the tank wand--is there some opening I can stick it through, the way Carol does with her scamp? All I have is the valve i open and close but that has a handle. I don't want to damage anything.

2) Someone at the campground told me I must always have some water in my black and grey tanks especially in the hot summers here. And I now understand a p trap must have water to keep back the odors. That seems such a hassle to remember (use the grey tank, and periodically dump it--I doubt I will be using the black tank much unless it's middle of the night kind of thing)--I definitely want the hepvo valve. I guess I can't just use the sewer hookups at campgrounds except for periodic dumping of grey and black tanks. I'm new to trailers and this is kind of bothersome to me--that I can't have empty tanks ever, without potentially causing them to crack?--and that without the hepvo mod I am vulnerable to odors from a dry p-trap. Moreover, I agree with everybody, sheesh, every time you want a shower, go out and sit down and pull the valve out near the tongue, and then every time you're done, go out and push it back? So a hepvo mod seems essential.

So I will report back if I still have odor after a new p-trap (or see if the old one has gunk.) Ziggy recommended leaving the tsp or odorloss in a full grey tank overnight...I haven't done that yet.