Anybody install a siphon360 to prevent black/grey water odor? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #1

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Anybody install a siphon360 to prevent black/grey water odor?

https://360productsnorthamerica.com/..._restroom_faqs

and

Four steps to solving RV HOLDING TANK ODORS

I notice an odor when walking into the casita today. We're going to clean out the drains, flush, etcetera now. We hadn't gotten a fresh water hose yet. I wanted to use Biokleen Bac-Out, but I can't find it where I am, so I'll have to get it when I'm in the city.
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
What you did to cause the tanks odor?
Old 05-30-2015, 02:25 PM   #3

Georgia
I did nothing, Sergey. We bought the casita Wednesday and towed it to a nearby RV park, we haven't used it yet, we need to clean it (it seems clean-ish but I want to give it a deep clean). So we haven't even used it.

Is it unusual to smell an odor when coming in? It's the first time I smelled it (I was in the casita at the owner's 3 separate times, for some time)--it actually seems to be coming from the grey water drain in the shower, though I'm not sure. I sent my partner to get what he can so we can clean it and flush it out (we have no bacout) but I wouldn't want this problem periodically.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #4

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
The grey water drain in the shower should have "screw in" sealing strainer. You should have the same strainer in the kitchen sink. But it is possible to get the odor from the tank if the strainer(s) was opened.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Get a Hepo valve kit for the shower, it replaces the trap and valve. It is available from Little House Customs. The plastic thetford commode can emit odors. A Dometic 320 short ceramic commode is a great replacement for under $200. Odorlos treatment was suggested by Floyd and it works great. Old solids can collect in the tank but also in the pipe to the dump valve.
Eddie
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_9gos5te5jd_p
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #6

Georgia
Thank you, Eddie. We are currently running fresh water through the sink and hooked up a new stinky slinky and are flushing the toilet. I don't like that plastic toilet so I will look into the ceramic. Is that easy for a plumber to install? Where can I find more info on odors? I love bac out but its not available where I am. I will order it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
This works great for Casita and Scamp black water tanks. Just hold the flush valve down and insert through the bowl opening.
Camco Holding Tank Rinser - Walmart.com
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #8

Georgia
It's the shower drain. The toilet smells fine though we just put tsp in it and also have flushed it a lot. We ran the sink a lot, too. Eddie, why would an odor come from the shower drain? Ugh.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
It's the shower drain. The toilet smells fine though we just put tsp in it and also have flushed it a lot. We ran the sink a lot, too. Eddie, why would an odor come from the shower drain? Ugh.

Do you close the shower drain valve when you are not using it? If I forget to close the valve and drive it stinks things up....
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #10

Georgia
I just wanted to ask--I'd like to run the shower, to cleanse that drain, and isn't there a valve I have to open? Thanks.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #11

Georgia
Shower drain valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Do you close the shower drain valve when you are not using it? If I forget to close the valve and drive it stinks things up....
Please tell me where is the valve? Maybe it's open. The guy we bought it from drove it over here (twenty minutes from his home, which is why we chose this park for now). I haven't gotten brake wiring on my truck yet. We just parked it at an RV spot then it thunderstormed for a few days. This is the first day we've had a chance to do much and we have a LOT to do. We need to clean the whole bathroom. And the entire trailer, which itself looks clean enough but of course I want to do a deep clean.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #12

Georgia
Eddie, or others, which one is the right commode?

Amazon.com: Dometic 320 short ceramic commode: Automotive

Gracias.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #13

Georgia
Or is this it?

Products - Dometic
Old 05-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
What year Casita? The older ones had the shower drain control outside under the front end. The newer ones are located in the closet. If you have not seen Larry Gamble's site, check it out.

Home | Little House Customs
Old 05-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #15

California
At the risk of becoming an Eileen shill, it sounds like you could really use this. A-Z Casita Owner's Guide It explains EVERYTHING Casita. If you buy it direct it can be emailed to you. On Amazon you can only order the CD, but you can see the reviews here. http://www.amazon.com/Casita-Travel-...ords=casita+cd I can't even begin to describe how much this helped us as new Casita owners.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #16

Georgia
Tom, I found the pull (under the front of the casita, sort of where the tongue starts) and opened it. Since it had been closed that was supposedly not the issue. The owner who sold it stated no odors, but clearly there is some kind of odor issue having to do with the holding tanks I guess, or the piping. I ran the hot shower and put soap down, I don't have bac out yet, which should really help. I ordered it. If anybody has ideas where the odor might be coming from (a pipe? A holding tank that was let sit too long?) let me know. The commode smells fine.

I've looked at the customs site (forget the whole name) and definitely am going to order the valve replacement that eddie suggested. I also hate the ugly sink in the bathroom, so I may get their replacement for that, too. And I'm not even too keen on the plastic toilet so if ceramic is safe I'd much rather. I am very sensitive to chemicals and odors and I'm displeased about this odor and want to take care of it asap. Thanks all!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #17

Georgia
Eileen

Who is Eileen? I'll be happy to order if it helps me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
At the risk of becoming an Eileen shill, it sounds like you could really use this. A-Z Casita Owner's Guide It explains EVERYTHING Casita. If you buy it direct it can be emailed to you. On Amazon you can only order the CD, but you can see the reviews here. http://www.amazon.com/Casita-Travel-...ords=casita+cd I can't even begin to describe how much this helped us as new Casita owners.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
Who is Eileen? I'll be happy to order if it helps me.
The author.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:22 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jen, whatever "valve" may or may not be in the right position, the grey tank can get overly ripe. Who thought soap would do that? I have only used Pine-Sol in both tanks for 25 years and never had an odor problem. Might be an idea to do a good flushing and see what you get before investing in extra parts and fittings.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:07 AM   #20

Georgia
Dave, I did run the shower for about fifteen minutes. How do I do a thorough flush? I found a long thread on casita club and copied it. Sometimes it was the traps, for instance, or even the anode in the hot water heater. The first time I was in the casita a few weeks ago I thought I smelled ammonia of some kind. The second two times no odor so the owner must've done something. How would the grey water tank get ripe in just four days sitting? IE we just parked it w a/c on and because it was raining didn't do anything until yesterday when we were assailed by the odor when we walked in.

Thanks to all. We are super busy for a few days now which upsets me as I would rather spend my time getting this solved. I'm going to check it again this a.m. My suspicion is the trap or a slimy pipe with stuck material but hey if flushing the tank helped, great. I recall someone who put probiotics in her tanks!