anybody switch from 13 inch rims to 14's? do i have the space? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I have "cupped" one tire badly, and am not sure if I had lost a wheel weight or had my trailer brakes set to hard and "flat spotted" it in various areas.
What Causes Cupping Wear On ST205/75-15 Trailer Tires And Should I Use Radial Or Bias Tires |

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
Name: kevin
Trailer: 1990 scamp 16ft
so,,, after reading these posts, I assume i just need to find a c or d rated 13 inch radial. I learn something new everyday. Thanks. The search begins......

ampline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Good luck you should be able to find many good choices, don't forget tires tend to deteriorate internally with age so consider if you will wear them out or just have to change them due to age (generally about 5 years). For myself high milage tires don't make good sense, I camp local so I don't put the miles on them.

Another factor is what percentage of the tires load capacity your trailer requires. Having a tires with 50% surplus load capacity means that even as the tire deteriorates you still have a good safety margin left. Especially important if you tend toward higher speed driving as heat speeds deterioration. 13 inch tires will run hotter than 14 inch at the same speed.

Your rims will need to be able to handle the higher 50 psi pressure that the high capacity tires require to reach full capacity.

I think most of the people with 14 and 15 inch tires have replaced axle, one with more "down angle" provides greater clearance to the top of the wheel well. Raises the trailer a bit too. But alas at around $700 it's not in my budget near term.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Name: Maxwell
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Tire size calculator

this will give you your current tire specs, and you can compare against different
♠♠ Maxwell Kustoms♠♠
CMEDROP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #19
Name: Steve
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Scamp 5th Wheel
Las Vegas, Nv.
I have a 19' Scamp 5'er. I needed new tires and decided to also buy custom wheels. I called Scamp and their tech/mechanic guy told me that 205 r 14's, and probably bigger, would fit just fine with no modifications. I found lots of tires locally but had a very hard time finding wheels I liked. I desperately needed tires so had them mount them on the old wheels, finished my trip, and now I'm waiting for my new custom wheels from etrailer. I was gonna just buy off of ebay but everyone wanted a fortune to ship them so I decided to look at etrailer. It turns out that any order over $150 ships for free, nice! Now I wish I had ordered the wheels and tires as they are far cheaper than anything I could buy at Discount tire or Les Schwab and they come mounted and balanced. Live and learn, who would have thought that an online RV parts dealer would be cheaper than Discount or Les Schwab with free shipping?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
Name: Evan
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
I'd check out your axle out before investing in new wheels and tires. If you suspect your axle may be shot you should save some cash up and replace it with a new one which will have a 5-bolt hub. Your trailer will be happier and you wont have to worry about buying new wheels now that you wont be able to use in the future when you fix your axle.
evanwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
Name: joe
Trailer: Scamp 1984 13 ft
West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to JNikirk
Hi Folks: I need help in finding a source for Baby Moon hubcaps and Beauty Rings to fit the original 13" rims on an 84 Scamp. Thanks Joe
JNikirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #22
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Originally Posted by JNikirk View Post
Hi Folks: I need help in finding a source for Baby Moon hubcaps and Beauty Rings to fit the original 13" rims on an 84 Scamp. Thanks Joe
Vintage Hubcaps Wheel Covers, Classic Car or Kustom Wheelcovers at Hubcap's Hub Caps Online Store
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #23
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
You can only use hub caps if there's nubs on the wheel. Innies and outies take different hub caps too.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote