Anyone ever added a toilet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Name: Annette
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Washington
Smile Anyone ever added a toilet?

I have a 1996 16' Scamp, floor plan #4 with the closet in place of a bathroom. I don't care about or want a shower, but I'd like to add a toilet and blackwater tank. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I'd sure like to be able to learn from your experiences, and would love any pointers you have.
apanchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I have no experience with the mod, but I think it's doable. I have floor plan #4 with bath room. Toilet sits on top of black water tank, the tank is inside the bath room. You need to make a hole in the floor for BW tank drain pipe and install drain valve below the floor. The second part is flexible water line from the water pump to the toilet. You can even skip this part and use water jug method.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
And there is the vent to the outside also. Water would have to come all the way from the sink on the other side of the trailer too I suppose. Personally, I would just throw in a cassette type toilet and call it good.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
If I was going to add a toilet I would put a natures head composting toilet in. You Don't need to run any water and it only has to be emptied once a year with a normal years worth of camping use. Plus they don't smell at all!

http://www.natureshead.net

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

Washington
Didn't realize that composting toilets could be so small. Now I'm intrigued. It will be interesting to see what my husband thinks of this new idea. Sure looks like a lot less work then installing a regular RV toilet, and I wouldn't have to hunt for dump stations. Thank you, Kirkman for the idea.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
FYI If you go with what Scamp is using now it's the Sealand 711-M28 toilet. Just be aware you can't use a marine model which is usually found at a much better price. The marine models with tank and bowl do not have a bottom discharge tank and they have to be pumped out. The RV model you have to order the tank and bowl separately and it only comes in Ivory. Call Dometic Sealand and they will give you the correct RV P/N's or order from Scamp.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #7

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanchot View Post
Didn't realize that composting toilets could be so small. Now I'm intrigued. It will be interesting to see what my husband thinks of this new idea. Sure looks like a lot less work then installing a regular RV toilet, and I wouldn't have to hunt for dump stations. Thank you, Kirkman for the idea.

Your welcome!
I do think that is the way to go.
Jason

Old 10-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
If I was going to add a toilet I would put a natures head composting toilet in. You Don't need to run any water and it only has to be emptied once a year with a normal years worth of camping use. Plus they don't smell at all!

Nature's Head Composting Toilets: Saving Our Water for Tomorrow
Minimizing urine odor is described quite well in the users manual, along with the need to install a 12V fan, and vent hose. Need to make sure there is room to disassemble the thing to empty it (solids are separate from the 2 gallon urine container), plus space to turn the crank on the side to stir the mix every time you use it.

No thanks.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #9

New York
Registry
Charlie
It's not for every one. Most of the guys I know that have very small heads on there boats have gone to this. They fit in a very small space and are designed to be operated, opened, and emptied very easily. Plus you don't have to look for a place to dump you can place the composted waste in a dumpster (think diapers) the liquid waste can be dumped in any toilet. The fan is part of the unit and will draw very little from your battery or you can install there solar vent and never have to worry about it drawing down your battery.
It just another option for some one who does not have a toilet and want to save them selves the hassle of running water lines a black tank vent lines and a dump valve. You just bolt this done run the vent outside and you done!😀
Jason

Old 10-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I've been happy with a porta potty. No installation necessary, just set it where you want it and use it. Easy to empty just about anywhere, too.

I see that the composting toilet diverts the urine to a little holding tank, so it still requires dumping every few days just like the porta potty. You're just dumping everything from the latter, whereas with the former you get to carry some if it around with you all season long.

I guess we could say that the Nature's Head would provide, um, an interesting diversion?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #11

Washington
Yeah! My husband was easy to convince. We're going with a composting toilet as long as it fits well. I have a porta potty already, and want something more convenient, as I may be spending 2 or more months straight living in my trailer next year. After spending most of yesterday visiting websites and watching You Tube videos on them, we think a composting toilet seems to fit that bill perfectly. Easy to install, no blackwater to deal with, long time between dealing with solids, and easy disposal of liquids. Looks like it will be either a Nature Head or an Air Head, though I'm leaning towards the Nature Head just because I like the way it looks better.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #12

Washington
I don't know if anyone is interested or not, but I've "lived" in my camper with a new Nature's Head toilet for 4 weeks now. I love it. I'm only using it part time, as during the day I have other facilities available. I've emptied the urine tank 3 times, and I don't anticipate needing to empty the solids before this trip is over in early June. I have to say it is the most pleasant experience I have had with any type of "sewage". I've dealt with both black water tanks and chemical toilets, and I prefer the composting toilet by far over both.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #13

New York
Registry
That's great to hear I don't know why trailer manufactures don't offer them as a option. I would rather have one in my camper.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for the update! I have heard nothing but good things about the Nature's Head. I have dealt with cassette toilets, porti-pottie and black tank. Black tank is my least favorite. We have full-timed with large tanks.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, I can't figure this out. What's the big deal about dumping a black tank, really?

Are you not using chemicals or enough water? I've had a water flushy in an all molded towable for 12 years. I don't know why folks consider it such a big deal.

Have you ever changed a baby's blow-out dirty diaper? At least I can wear gloves dumping a blackwater tank and walk away from the smell! Which is very minor due to the chemicals.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I changed many diapers. My older son for 2 years and my son with DS and food sensitives for 6 years so I have seen the worse of that.

Probably the worse is why others drive away with dripping from the black water area after emptying their tank or stick the sewer hose over the fresh water nozzle just before leaving a site. Always wipe down a fresh water spigot and run a little water before hooking up your fresh water hose.

There will never be any agreement about the black water tank, to me, they are gross. If you use chemicals, they smell even worse than without. They drip when people drive away after emptying and take a lot of water to really rinse them clean. What puzzles me most is the people who say there is no odor involved as for every kind of toilet made, I have heard that they smell from some and others say they never have a smell.

I think composting toilets are great and the wave of the future!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I am adding a bathroom to our 13' Boler, and it will still sleep at least 4 when I am done with it...here is the link to my mods:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post516672
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #18

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I am not "adding" to my 16' Scamp, but for all practical purposes it is new for a front bath in the center of the space since I could get the new shower pan, toilet and black tank.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture8564.jpg

I am planning on using the "wasted space" on the driver's side for outside access (adding a door) on the power part for a macerator to pump the 8 gallon black tank either to the dump or to the gray (now black) tank in the rear or to empty either or both. The smaller diameter discharge hose will live here as well.
The upper part of the "wasted space" will be a storage cabinet for towels or whatever.
This space is about 37" X 24" at the bottom and of course the front wall curves out a little for more space.
The cross brace was moved to the rear a little during frame repair to enable this mod. It was also reinforced with two 3 X 1 1/2" square steel tubes from frame rail to frame rail extending to the bottom of the door.

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Those composting toilets seem pretty neat but at $950 I figure I can dump the tank on a $125 porta pottie a whole lot of times for the $825 difference.

If your model came with an optional flushy where you have a closet I would figure the tank and toilet that would normally be installed there might be the best option. Running a water line should not be a big deal. Vent stack might be more of a hassle. Ask someone that has one to post some pictures and model numbers. Then you can scope out the cost.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote