Anyone ever try this...Paper bag Floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Anyone ever try this...Paper bag Floor

I have not tried it and have no idea how it would work in an egg.......

Paper Bag Floors :: Hometalk

I belong to a Glamping sight and one of the girls is rebuilding an old stickie( a lot of folks on that sight do rebuild them) anyway being short on $$$$ she decided to give it a try and see how it works out.Judging from the pictures i have seen it looks real good in her unit.

Don't know if this is the sight she used to learn from,but she said she just Googled paper bag floor and picked one.....also stated she did extra coats of poly finish. There are lots of pictures and instructions there to look at.

Just thought I would pass this information along for some that might want to give it a look see.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Oh how I wish I'd seen this last summer!
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
looks better then I thought it would.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Thanks for sharing Lynn. It is fascinating. I refinished a hardwood floor last year and it is a lot of work. M

I like everything about it. The color, the pattern, the technique. It is very cool and a worthy option for a camper as that amount of space is much faster.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Interesting. I wonder how long it lasts? I suppose you can add coats of polyurethane over time, as it wears.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
There is different types of 2 part epoxy....my boss told me about the time they used epoxy on the bar tables at his volunteer firehouse.... so it could be made relatively permanent.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Actually I have! I did my Casita floor a few years ago. Will get a pic today for you. And though my Casita hasn't gotten a lot of wear and tear the last couple of years, it still looks great. And I know it will for years to come as well because I have done this technique on a floor in a home we had years ago. And when I sold the home it was still looking great after 4 years of heavy traffic. I also did this technique on a friends pop up camper, which get's lots of wear and tear with 3 teenager daughters and their friends plus dogs. On her's I did 5 coats of poly and just last year she put two more coats on to maintain it. I haven't done any maintenance on my yet because of low wear and tear, but most likely will this summer sometime. Just to keep it looking great!

Super easy to do! I have always been a wood floor person (my Dh owned a hard wood floor company) But, I do like other hard floor surfaces as well. I hate carpet (I know I own a Casita ) but the carpet on the walls doesn't bother me as much as carpet on the floor! So because I wanted something different than everyone else I did the paper bag technique and I'm happy I did!
I have also done this technique on walls. On wall's it looks like leather. Because you don't have to use as much poly.

The hardest part of that project was tearing out the Casita carpet off the floor! That was a B_T_H!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But after getting it out and some elbow grease to get the worst of the glue whittled down. Then it's just a matter of crawling around the floor. I do not roll the poly on in small projects, because it's hard to get a nice even stroke. I sponge it on. Takes longer but worth the effort to me. I do at least 5 or 6 sponge coats, letting the poly dry between coats.

On the Casita, I did not use the Elmer's glue solution to glue down. I just used the poly to adhere the paper. Because my Dh did hardwood floors I kinda knew that the poly would also adhere the paper down so gave it a whirl and it did exactly what I thought it would do. Wet the paper with poly and stick it down. I did use the Elmer's method on my floor in our home, but truthfully, it's just an extra step! The difference is the Elmer's will give you a more crackled finish. You can also just wet the paper with water and squeeze it out to get a crackled finish. You will get tears and wrinkles in the paper, but that is what gives it character!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: F.l.
Trailer: Perris Pacer
New Mexico
My parents did this in their kitchen, looked great for awhile, when it got wet, the water somehow seeped thru the poly, and it took days to dry. When dishes or anything got dropped on it, it tore or ripped. She would touch it up very easily. About a year in, they quit fighting with it and ripped it up. It wasn't adheared to the floor, just pulled right up.

I believe the problem is that the poly doesn't fully penetrate the paper. Therefore it becomes a shell over a flexible paper product, causing micro cracks. And holding moisture.

On the other hand, she did a " feature wall"
With wallpaper paste. Looks like leather. And holds up well. No poly.
Fmspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I can understand liking the aesthetics of this style flooring but I do not understand the notion of it being a cost saver. I purchased prefinished laminate flooring for my Scamp at Menards for a cost of $30 for 50 Sq feet.(Closeout)
Cut , Install ,Done . Applying 5 or 6 coats of poly seems to me to be a lot of time and labor for no real gain but to each his /her own
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #10

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
Yes I somewhat agree with above.
HD has vinyl tile 12"x12" squares w/ sticky back, $1.00 each.
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've never seen a floor, but (I think it was pre-hack) we had someone here that did it on the walls of an egg. She wanted the "leather" look without the expense. Looked good!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Glad everyone enjoyed the post. Don't know that it would be a cost saver,,,if done like in the link I posted.Since I posted it I have gone back and looked at others that I think would work better. Robin G. I like the way you described your project and Donna D. thinking back I do seem to remember that leather wall look that someone did. Wish we could see it again,along with so many of the other hacked pictures.

I often like to share new things I find,you just never know when it might be just right for someone, even if it is not something you yourself would like.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
LOL Steve, I understand your thoughts, as I said my Dh owned a Flooring Co. But when I was looking to do something different in the Casita everyone and I mean everyone was doing laminate flooring.... I personally already have issues that my Casita looks like every other Casita on the road. And as for expense, my cost almost nothing because I had most of the supplies.

As for in our home, only because we had 3400 square feet of hardwood already and I needed something to break it up. It's so easy the 6 coats is really nothing. 10 min, let it dry, reapply, etc......

I forgot to go out today and take a pic. So this pic is without lighting and it's wet! Because I had to wipe the grime from some mods that are being done in the Casita. My handy man is messy but good at taking my ideas and making them happen.
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg  
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Nothing against what anyone has done with paper flooring; it's very innovative and it creates a certain 'look' like nothing else. But if a trailer floor happens to be plywood and if the surface could be prepped decently, I think some stain and polyurethane right on the plywood would look as nice or nicer than a paper bag floor (JMO). And it would be a fair bit easier to do.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote