Anyone Ice Fish in a Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Anyone Ice Fish in a Scamp?

I am in Minnesota & after seeing some ice houses on the lake I got to wondering if anyone had modified their Scamp or other brand camper in to a ice fish house... I don't think I would try it with mine but if I found another Scamp & had a bunch of extra $'s it would be fun to put some hydrolics in & re-do the suspension so the camper would go down flush against the ice & have some spots for maybe 2-3 holes. It would be nice with the stove & beds & any other amenity. I'm just dreaming but it would be fun to see if anyone on the forum has thought about doing this.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I bought my scamp primarily to use as an icehouse, and it has worked fabulously. It was quite easy and not very expensive, and does not require dropping the camper down to the ice. I bought hole covers and drop down plastic sleeves at fleet farm, and cut two holes in the floor to install them. The sleeves come in two lengths, but can be cut down to make an airtight seal when pressed into the snow and ice under the house. The covers snap in place and sit almost completely flush with the floor. I placed them with just enough room to fit my ice auger inside the camper and drill through the floor and through the ice. Both holes are in front of the bench seat, because once you take the placement of the axle into account, there are not that many other options other than under the table.
My two children call it ice camping, and its free anywhere the water is frozen. I probably spend an average of ten to fifteen nights every winter in the iscamp. If anybody else has done this I would be very interested in hearing about it.
John Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
John, This begs some pictures!! How long does it take to auger through a typical hole? Is the tool big like a post hole digger, or more like an impact drill? Gas or electric?

Sounds like fun!

Matt
Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Over the years we have had referrals posted to "for sale" ads about trailers converted for Ice Fishing. I haven't searched the "For Sale Archives" to see if any are still in there...
Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #5

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I have been watching them fish all day out there on the lake, then a car drove by on the ice. Weird.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #6

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
I am in Minnesota & after seeing some ice houses on the lake I got to wondering if anyone had modified their Scamp or other brand camper in to a ice fish house... I don't think I would try it with mine but if I found another Scamp & had a bunch of extra $'s it would be fun to put some hydrolics in & re-do the suspension so the camper would go down flush against the ice & have some spots for maybe 2-3 holes. It would be nice with the stove & beds & any other amenity. I'm just dreaming but it would be fun to see if anyone on the forum has thought about doing this.
Barry,
Try a search titled this
1999 16' Casita fishhouse - $3,500 - Milaca, MN

It has some pictures including one of the hole in the floor and cover.

It's listed on another site.

Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Those holes and covers are exactly like the ones that I use. I will post pictures of the iscamp in action when I take it out in the next couple of weeks. As far as drilling through the ice, the auger is rather like a post hole auger, and only takes about 90 seconds to go through twelve or fourteen inches of ice. Oh how I would like to see a gathering of eggs on ice!
John Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hill View Post
Barry,
Try a search titled this
1999 16' Casita fishhouse - $3,500 - Milaca, MN

It has some pictures including one of the hole in the floor and cover.

It's listed on another site.

Wayne
Direct Link: 1999 16' Casita fishhouse | Milaca, MN | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #9

Iowa
Registry
The Yahoos my son rides with at work think my 5ver would make a good fishing shack. Right.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Funny Story for ya...

"Ice Flow"

Posted 01.18.2005 by Terry in Buckhead (10)
I live today in Buckhead, Georgia, but I grew up in Northern Minnesota. You can imagine the culture shock when I moved here. You can play tennis year 'round here! Up north, for six months out of the year, you're stuck with winter sports. Like ice fishing.

I know what you're thinking: ice fishing? What in the hell is that?
I'll tell you. Ice fishing is taking a snowmobile out on a frozen-over lake early in the morning, entering a portable hut heated by kerosene heaters, and sitting around on your fat ass all day looking at a one-foot-round hole in the ice. When not staring at the hole you participate in other exhilarating activities: telling stories, listening to hockey games on the radio, eating Vienna Sausages out of the can, dropping the line into the hole, waiting, eating more sausages, drinking Mountain Dew (I don't drink alcohol, but some of the guys drink beer all day), waiting some more, staring at the hole, and eating some more sausages out of the can.

At this point you've probably made a few legitimate assumptions about my intelligence level, my social skills, and my background, and have surmised that I live in a doublewide and am married to a woman named Dixie. But I assure you: ice fishing is not just for morons and losers. I know quite a few lawyers and bankers who love ice fishing. But then again, most lawyers and bankers are morons and losers anyway. But I digress.

When you ice fish, you stay in a hotel on the banks of the lake, get up at five a.m., eat breakfast, and head out to the lake. You do NOT under ANY circumstances go back to the hotel until it is DARK. That's twelve hours out on the ice. Don't ask me who wrote the rules, but they are followed religiously. It's a guy thing. An unwritten code. Anybody who goes back to the hotel, says they are cold, complains, talks about business or politics, or who doesn't eat sausages all day is marked as a weenie man, and is ostracized from our little community. I didn't make the rules; but, being a manly man, I follow them.

This sad little tale involves a three-day ice fishing expedition with four of my friends back in the nineties. We got to the hotel on a Thursday night. While checking in, I had an instant connection with the extremely lovely deskperson whom I will call Sally. She was dressed in a navy blue vest with a white button-down shirt, and she was adorable. She asked if I was there to ice fish and I told her we'd be there for a few days. She said she hoped I caught plenty of fish. I asked her what she did besides work, and it turned out she was a nursing student. To say that I was attracted to her was an understatement. As an added bonus, she even professed to like ice fishing; and as I went up to my room it was pretty obvious to both of us that we would get together to talk sometime soon. I told her exactly where our hut was on the lake, and told her to stop anytime to say hello. I'd be out there all day, every day.

The next morning arrived. We set out at six (breaking one of the rules already) loaded down with Vienna sausages, fishing gear, Mountain Dew for me, and beer for the rest of the guys. About fifteen minutes of snowmobiling later, we arrived and entered our rented fish hut. The hole was a bit frozen over, but we hammered it open and began fishing. Joe caught the first fish. He also took the first dump.
Pooping on the ice isn't a problem, even though there's nowhere to poop. You just exit the hut, drop your pants, and crap. When you've got five guys, Vienna sausages, beer, and Mountain Dew, the crap heap grows by leaps and bounds. The heap is quite unsightly, although the smell problem is usually eliminated because the logs freeze within a few minutes.

As you buzz around on the frozen lake, you'll see that each hut has its own crap pile. Nobody worries about crapping out on the lake. In fact, it is considered fine form to shout out a salute if you pass a hut where a guy is pooping.
The first two days we caught a lot of fish, and ate a lot of Vienna sausages. My only complaint was that Sally wasn't at the front desk for the next two nights. I was positive that there had been a very nice warm feeling between us that I wanted to pursue. I wanted to take her out to dinner, but she was nowhere to be found.
Our third day on the ice was a major boon for the crap pile. Guess what we ate at the restaurant the evening before? Polish sausage and sauerkraut. After all the Vienna sausages, it was almost disgusting, but there was no other choice. The restaurant was a bed/breakfast joint -- so you ate what they brought out. The sauerkraut smelled like the breath of a pregnant owl just after it swallows the diseased appendix of a sea otter.

See the above rules. Nobody complains, and that applies equally to the lake and the accommodations. End of story.

On the ice, the crap pile was expanding. Some unsuspecting bottom feeder was gonna have an early February feast if it got any bigger. It was our last day on the ice, so we didn't worry about it.

The fish hut smelled like rotting seared sauerkraut all day as the guys farted out the nasty methane. I had to drop my trousers in the late morning, and I exited the fish hut with the well wishes of my hut mates. I could not believe the size, look, and smell of the pile. My pants were in the fully reclined position and as the sauerkraut was blasting its path out of my blowhole a snowmobile's drone met my ears. No big deal. I obviously couldn't interrupt the flow, so I didn't even turn around to see who it was. Usually the snowmobiles pass on by and keep on trucking, but this one was approaching.

Rising to a full standing position, I turned around, pulling up my boxers, wondering whom it was. Maybe the folks in this little hamlet in lake country decided to come say hello and see how them fish are hooking.
Nope. Sally!

I wanted to bury my head in the crap pile. Apparently I had made quite an impression on the lovely young lady, and she didn't want me to leave town without a proper send off. Cutting the engine, she sat there staring at me, and me at her. No one dared to speak first. I just didn't think that "How's it going" would come off all that casually. Hours passed, her on the Snowcat and me standing beside the pile. Seemed like hours, anyways.

In any situation of a social nature there is always SOMETHING to say. If you fart, you can at least say, "Excuse me, I'm sick." Nothing that appropriate for this situation was coming to mind.

At last, I was able to say something. "I enjoyed meeting you the other night."
She smiled. "The feeling was mutual." I relaxed.

On the ride home, I tried to recreate the scenario and find something in retrospect amusing and tension-breaking to defuse the situation. All that came to mind was, "That sauerkraut was mighty tasty, but I should have kept to the sausage."
I am sure you've never been utterly humiliated like I was on the ice that cold February day; but if you have, then you know that you might as well go on living your life, hoping that you live to tell the story to someone, some day, to at least get a few laughs out of the disaster.

Today is that day.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #11

Iowa
Registry
Another Day on the Ice

The little village keeps growing then moving with the fish. This is our neighbors rig. Everyone was out there yesterday but today must be a day of recovery.
Attached Thumbnails
Icefishing.jpg  

Tags
ice fishing, scamp, winter camping