Anyone use Optima batteries? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Anyone use Optima batteries?

I'm going to convert over to Gel or AGM batteries after I upgrade my Magnatek Convertor. Has anyone here tried the Optima batteries? If so Which are the best to get? I see they have blue tops and yellow tops, etc. Or if you have another recommendation in the same price range I'm all ears.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I think your best way to get a good answer is to call Optima (actually call Johnson Controls in Canby Oregon) and ask for the technical rep.
He can guide to the right battery.
Now my tale of woe, I though that I would improve my battery situation by going to a Trojan true deep cycle battery. Cost me over $100 for Trojan, It was stolen from my trailer and I replaced it with a Walmart battery. Probably made by the Johnson Controls. It's worked great for about 3 years now and before that I had the original from Scamp that lasted almost 10 years. If you're flying an airplane inverted then a sealed battery might be worth the cost, but I don't think so for a TT.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:37 AM   #3

Registry
Let me tweak my question just a little. In addition to wanting to upgrade my single battery to two batteries I also want to move them inside of my Oxygen. There is a lot of unused hidden away space that frankly isn't all that accessible on an every day basis but would be fine for batteries. Between Gel and AGM which would be more suitable for an inside installation.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:15 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
About Optima batteries. I own a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) that came new with an Optima Red top. Just before that time Johnson controls bought Optima and the general thinking was that Optima quality was downgraded. The OEM Optima batteries didn't last long in the CRD's and their full charge voltage is a little lower than a normal battery that caused problems with the no less than 7 computers in the Liberty getting along.
I replaced it with a no longer available Sears P1 made by "Odyssey" in October of 2011 that is still working very well.
https://www.odysseybattery.com/
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #5

Name: Craig
Trailer: 2003 Bigfoot 2500 9.6 B
California
Time for lithium?

Seems like you are at a great time (because of replacing batteries and upgrading charger/converter) to consider lithium batteries? You can use considerably less space and weight as well as having maintenance free batteries that can hold their charge for nearly a year. Not to mention getting to use almost all of the amp hours of capacity you purchased. I’m just waiting for my lead-acid batteries to die so I can make the swap.
Craigb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigb2000 View Post
Seems like you are at a great time (because of replacing batteries and upgrading charger/converter) to consider lithium batteries? You can use considerably less space and weight as well as having maintenance free batteries that can hold their charge for nearly a year. Not to mention getting to use almost all of the amp hours of capacity you purchased. I’m just waiting for my lead-acid batteries to die so I can make the swap.
I would love love love to go Lithium however the price scares me. From what I've seen they are pushing $1000 each U.S.. Not only does the cost scare me but my utter ignorance with charger/convertors and solar panels makes me think I could ruin them in fairly short order if everything isn't done perfectly.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #7

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
We use red top Optima batteries for our battery-backups on our Outdoor Warning System (tornado siren). Six batteries in series in case they lose ac power.
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I would use yellow tops for your application, they tolerate deep draining better than the red tops.

Having said that, I suggest you consider Odyssey. I have one in my vehicle for several years now and been very impressed. It isn't very big, only a Group 34, but it has run my CPAP and my 12 volt fridge overnight without discernible effect on starting the vehicle the next day. And during the polar vortex when it got down to minus 30 here it cranked a little slower but not by a lot. Also, made in the USA.

Whichever you get, make sure your charger is designed to charge AGM batteries, they like a little higher voltage than regular lead-acid to charge fully.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I'm going to convert over to Gel or AGM batteries after I upgrade my Magnatek Convertor. Has anyone here tried the Optima batteries? If so Which are the best to get? I see they have blue tops and yellow tops, etc. Or if you have another recommendation in the same price range I'm all ears.
I like the firefly batteries they are 12 volt but you only use one battery and you will still have a longer power life with it than with 2 x 6 v
Peter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #10

Registry
Who makes firefly? Are they suitable for an interior installation? Thanks
Old 06-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Who makes firefly? Are they suitable for an interior installation? Thanks
Yes they are if you look up firefly batteries you will see the story on them.
We can get them in Canada so I would think you could get them in the USA
Peter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #12

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Vermont
Optima 31M. Blue top. Great value. I've been using a pait in a Casita for over 11 years. Solar only. Engel 48qt refrige. 130w panel. Never been plugged in. Still get full voltage charge and seem to have same capacity.
Yardsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardsailor View Post
Optima 31M. Blue top. Great value. I've been using a pait in a Casita for over 11 years. Solar only. Engel 48qt refrige. 130w panel. Never been plugged in. Still get full voltage charge and seem to have same capacity.
Wow, that sounds like great performance.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
Steve: Between Gel and AGM, I think AGM is the better choice for camping trailers.

If you decide to move to 2 batteries inside the trailer, remember that Gel and AGM both sill need to be vented to the outside.

If you can handle the weight and the form factor, (2) 6V GC2 golf cart batteries will give you much more reserve power for boondocking.

Optima batteries promotes their Blue Top as the choice for RV and boat use. It is a hybrid between a starting battery and a deep cycle battery. If all you need is deep cycle capability, there are better choices out there.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT GEL-CEL and AGM BATTERIES ARE DIFFERENT AND HAVE DIFFERENT CHARGING REQUIREMENTS.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...el-vs-agm.html

Excuse me for yelling but many don't know they are different.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #16

Registry
It's fine to yell if a point needs to be made. In my case I want the entire system to be holistic and work well together. I'm looking for the best (affordable range) batteries and then will pair them with the best converter. If you have suggestions/experience with either I'd love to hear pros and cons.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalmike View Post
Steve: Between Gel and AGM, I think AGM is the better choice for camping trailers.

If you decide to move to 2 batteries inside the trailer, remember that Gel and AGM both sill need to be vented to the outside.

If you can handle the weight and the form factor, (2) 6V GC2 golf cart batteries will give you much more reserve power for boondocking.

Optima batteries promotes their Blue Top as the choice for RV and boat use. It is a hybrid between a starting battery and a deep cycle battery. If all you need is deep cycle capability, there are better choices out there.
Thank you for your informed opinion. This is the kind of info I have been looking for. It was my understanding that Gel batteries could be installed anywhere and in any position without harm. I plan on sealing and venting them anyway but good to know nonetheless.
With the golf cart batteries that you recommend are you talking standard acid or something else?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #18

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalmike View Post
Optima batteries promotes their Blue Top as the choice for RV and boat use. It is a hybrid between a starting battery and a deep cycle battery.
Just to make things confusing, all Optima marine batteries have blue tops, which really just means they have additional screw terminals in addition to the standard battery posts. But you have to look also at the color of the case. Blue top with dark gray case is a starting battery, the equivalent of the automotive red top. Blue top with light gray case is the deep cycle/dual purpose version, equivalent to the automotive yellow top.

My only complaint about Optima is their spiral cell configuration ends up costing them valuable case space, resulting in lower capacity for the same battery size. This is most apparent for sizes like group 31 or 27. An Optima group 31 yellow top has a capacity of 75 amp hours, whereas an Odyssey group 31 has a capacity of 100 amp hours. Big difference, and if you look at the case configuration you can see why, the Odyssey simply has more internal volume to store that power.

Now, in theory according to Optima, their spiral cell configuration is more rugged and durable to mechanical shock, so there may be trade-offs worth considering there.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #19

Registry
Lol, not confusing at all. Good informed information. I only wish Lithium weren't so pricey. That would solve all my problems.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #20

Minnesota
Registry
Yeah, I have been thinking about lithium (specifically LiFePO4, as there is more than one kind of lithium battery) for my camper too, but after looking at it this spring I decided to wait another year. The problem is you then also have to get the right charger, because lithium does not like to be trickle charged. Once it is full up, stop charging. What this really does is impact my decision on replacing my power converter. Progressive Dynamics does make a converter for lithium now, but they don't make one that is switchable between lead-acid (and AGM) or lithium.

Fortunately my power needs are modest so it isn't a big deal if I wait for resolution.