Anyone using ClimateRight AC? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #21

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Thanks. I'm curious, what are the window openning dimensions? I'm preparing to order a Scamp but don't have it yet. With your example I think I will not get the roof AC.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
But still get the a/c prep option. I think that includes a roof insert as well as per-wiring. A few $$$ now can save a lot later if you decide you don't want your Scamp to loose a window and get a slight case of being appearance disadvantaged.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Aprox 15.75 x 18.50
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #24

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Thanks

DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Texas
I'm going with Mike's idea. I just don't have the guts to drill holes in our Scamp. I hope Climateright accepts returns.
Lat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Holes are no problem. If you want to get rid of them, just cover the holes with 3" or 4" Battery Compartment vent covers. They will always look just like they belong there.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I don't see why one could not put the 4 inch holes in the floor of the camper. Out of sight, easier to plug if one decided to abandon use of the device.

Might even be able to route connecting pipe under camper to put exhaust and cold air lines in better locations than right next to each other.

That said $500 for 2,500 btu is a bit steep and would probably be undersized by a good bit. 13 footer is small but it is bigger than a dog house.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Climaterite is showing a new 8200 btu a/c on their website. Price and availability not listed, but looks to be a good option if you don't need heat.
ClimateRight 8000 btu A/C (no heat)
Daniel E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #29

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Hmmmmmm comments with bugs!!! Neat
Old 02-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #30
Whs

Name: Will
Trailer: Scamp 16 layout 4
Nevada
Anyone have an update on the climateright?
I've been researching the 5000 btu model and I like the looks of it. Seems pretty easy to hook up, and I'd doing it on the tongue. I'd like to see if anyone pulled the trigger.

Will
Whs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #31

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
I don't have one but if I did I would look at making a temporary panel to fit in a wndow for the vent hoses, similar to other in house portable AC units. My brother-in-law had one for a teardrop trailer and it had a couple PVC pipes from below on the side of the trailer that connected to the interior.

Doug,

What kind of reliability did your brother-in-law have with the Climate Right ac/h unit?

Thanks,
Tonnie
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #32

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
The ClimateRight looks suspiciously like the 'PetCool' A/C unit I bought several years ago for our teardrop trailer. I built the teardrop in 2006 (with a Fantastic van/vent installed in the roof) & we've towed it 25K+ miles since & enjoyed every mile/minute of it. It is however, a fair weather camper (there's no place to get out of inclement weather) & we're gettin' to the age where it's harder & harder to put one's pants on lying down, hence the move to molded fiberglass trailers .

The PetCool (2500BTU I think) was touted as the be all-end all for A/C in a teardrop trailer, & since we're in hot'n humid Arkansas I 'bought into' the idea. The distributor was having a pre-stocking sale of the units with $100 off so I ordered one for around $300 best I remember. After it arrived I examined the 'delivery/return air' ducts, plumbed the teardrop for 'em, & we gave it a try. IT WORKS, but ain't the most user friendly system I've ever seen. The controls are on the unit itself which sets outside so you hafta go outside to change temps which is a bit inconvenient to say the least. We've used it maybe a half dozen times in 5 years, at the lake(s) in Arkansas camping with family, & at a teardrop gathering on Lake Texoma, OK. At Texoma we took a 2hr afternoon nap in +98degree temps & were perfectly comfortable. While camping in AR in July I had to go outside & raise the temp control a couple of times, & then turn the unit off as it got too cool inside the cabin. Our teardrop is 5'X114" outside measure so there's not a lot of cubic feet to cool. Normally the Fantastic Fan does a good job of cooling, just doesn't reduce the humidity. The PetCool does OK, just not convenient to use & I doubt the 2500BTU unit would efficiently cool a 13' trailer, not to mention a larger one.
Attached Thumbnails
Pet Cool Ductwork-6.jpg   Pet Cool Ductwork-2.jpg  

Pet Cool Ductwork-5.jpg  
Attached Images

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #33

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Smile Revised idea and made it into a new thread 12v AC

Our roof will not support a traditional air unit, they do make an RV side wall unit made to take the shaking of a trailer ride. Problem is you need 120v and lot of it.

Thinking of getting a HD locking boat cooler mount a little rad (heater core) on top with low amp 12v fan one end to blow into trailer, plus a 12v pump at other end water and ice block in cooler piping up out through pump to rad out back into cooler to cool trailer. may mount rad and fan inside the seat at wall and just have tubing to cooler and pump then it would be easier to fill cooler pump could be on floor of trailer that way. with quick connects to cooler. The last is the preferred idea.

Place under seat, vent motor heat out side and create removable duct work in to fan and out into trailer through seat walls. Extra battery to run this would work at a wilderness site. Block ice, cubes or crushed would work in cooler. Also could have a bypass water hookups for connecting to a cold stream with an input filter.
12v AC sounds good any ideas for possible improvements?
Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #34

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Our roof will not support a traditional air unit, they do make an RV side wall unit made to take the shaking of a trailer ride. Problem is you need 120v and lot of it.........

12v AC sounds good any ideas for possible improvements?
Don't forget to take into account the condensation dripping off of the cold heat exchanger, and unless one recirculates the inside air across the heat exchanger (radiator) you can get a cool breeze off the radiator but not really drop the temperature by any more than having the bucket of ice melt inside. Now if you can circulate ground temp water through the system that offers potential to remove more heat since you can do that continually.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #35

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
The Climate Right 5000 is supposed to come with a remote. How that would work from inside the camper, I just don't know...
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #36

Name: John
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Texas
I just completed my Mike-N-Laurie style installation. I need to find a little thicker pipe insulation, but it works beautifully. Cooled that little Scamp off in just a few minutes.
Lat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:02 AM   #37

Florida
Try Ace Hardware that is where I found the extra thick pipe insulation. I think it is for a water heater pipe. Once you find the thick stuff it will fit like a glove.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #38

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
A/C

We have a Lil Snoozy with a 8000 BTU A/C unit from Sears and it gets to be a frozen meat locker in there . When Lil Snoozy first started up they put in a 5000 BTU unit it was not sufficient . So they ended up with a 8000 unit . It is cut into back wall and they build a fiberglass container to fit the A/C unit .Go to Lil Snoozy .com and you can see.
Also I've seen the split A/C ( mitsubishi ) units being used on the tongue of some scamps I believe . We have been looking at Escape trailers but I do not want a RV roof model A/C thinking about a closet A/C unit instead ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #39

Florida
5,000 BTU in the Scamp will freeze you out as we have to run it on low. If you put a 8,000 BTU I don't think it would cycle properly remember it's less than 75 sq ft inside.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #40

Florida
The insulation in the Scamp 13 is pretty good. In the Florida sun 5000 btu is fine.