Anyone using ClimateRight AC? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #41

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Has anyone done something similar to Mike-N-laurie's window mount in a Boler? I have a 1300 and want to add ac before I start fulltiming

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #42

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
5000 BTU Small AC and Heater | ClimateRight

Just wondering if anyone has recently installed the ClimateRight system. The 5000 BTU and 2500 BTU units are only $50 in difference and now come with a remote control.

My 13' Scamp has now become my little office, and I don't want to put in a window air conditioner or it'll be blowing into the back of my head! I just need to take the edge off of the heat inside--don't need it freezing! I can easily use a portable heater but having it part of this system seems like a nice design.

ClimateRight seems like a plausible option. I could probably install the vents through the floor boards under the bunkbed/sofa seating area.
morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I installed the 5,000 btu in my 13' trailer in July and I'm glad I got the bigger size. It cools well, easily kept the inside temp at 74f while outside was 95f. I think the smaller one would have to labor real hard to keep the temps. down.
The remote does not work from inside the trailer so I got the thermostat that is wired to the in-flow port of the Climate Right.

That night the temps. dropped to 42f. and the heater worked but the thermostat cannot be set lower than 61f, which was too warm for us for sleep. We turned it off and stayed warm enough until time to rise in the morning when the heater was welcome warmth.
Daniel E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If someone is thinking about buying the 2500btu unit, I received an email from ClimateRight that it will be on sale tomorrow only, for $399. That's $100 off the regular price.
Daniel E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #45

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
Just wanted to let everyone know that I recently purchased the Climate Rite 5000 btu unit. Upon delivery the unit seemed to be packed well and made well. The instructions for installing it were thorough and the videos helped a lot. We made a platform for the unit on the front tow bar, routed two holes into the fiberglass of our 13' Scamp, and pulled the in/out tubes under the bench seat in the middle.

When it was cold last month, the heat worked very well. But now that we are having 80 degree weather here, I'm having issues with the cooling portion...namely the thermostat is fluctuating way too fast and turning the condenser on and off. I think that it is a mechanical error, and I am currently working with the company to fix the problem, either on my end or theirs. I will update you all on my experience with their customer service!

I do want to confirm that it is true that my remote cannot operate the unit from inside the camper.

Updates later!
morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #46

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
I'm looking at the climateright 5000 as well. Any feedback?

We have an old model that is not reinforced for a roof unit, and we're not interested at all in a window unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #47

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Anyone using ClimateRight AC?

Like Mike-N-Laurie and Norm & Ginny, we just started using a 5000 BTU window unit. Like Mike-N-Laurie, ours is mounted in the back window of our Scamp13. We would not travel with the unit in the window; it is just temporary for those rare occasions when we are in high heat and humidity and really need AC.

I knew that I did not want a permanent roof-mounted AC and I also did not want to cut holes in the Scamp shell to run duct work.

Once the rear slider window glass is opened, you can also slide the screen over too and you then have an opening that is just over 16" in width. A Frigidaire 5000 BTU unit fits just fine and I imagine that other brands would too.

Although the insulating pipe foam might make a nicer looking installation, you can also use various sized "pool noodles" that would be available at WalMart and various pool supply stores.

I knew that I did not want to damage that window track so, thus far, I have used a combination of various sized pool noodles (cut to length and slit open along their length) to cushion the load and fill in the larger gaps as well as some other soft foam to fill the smaller gaps. I also use a quarter-inch plywood "platform board" (under the AC) that rests on the bottom pool noodle and it is also supported by a length of PVC pipe running clear down to the rear bumper of the Scamp. The PVC pipe is currently attached to the wooden platform board and to the Scamp bumper via zip ties.

I may try to improve on the current setup over time but, for now, it seems to be doing the job. Time will tell ....... 😉

BTW - Yesterday, in parts of the KC metro, temperatures were over 100 degrees with some humidity.

Good luck to all!
Stay safe out there and try to stay cool too! 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #48

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
small looks interesting
Old 06-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #49

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
I don't have one but if I did I would look at making a temporary panel to fit in a wndow for the vent hoses, similar to other in house portable AC units. My brother-in-law had one for a teardrop trailer and it had a couple PVC pipes from below on the side of the trailer that connected to the interior.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
I'm also thinking of running an outside AC with the hose coming in through a window. We juggled with different ideas and just about all of them required cutting a big ugly vent in the side of the camper. Right now the cheapest option is running a window AC with the cold air coming through a dryer vent in the small door window.

Or a more permanent mount would be to install it under a dinette bench with the hot air ducted out the floor. But with that you lose allot of storage space as well.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #50

Georgia
I don't have a sliding window in the back (have an '82 Scamp), hence the climateright. It's in a box in my foyer right now. Checking out different ways to install. Really like the clean set up in the pics with the tear drop posted earlier in this thread.

Where do you think is the optimal location for the input and output vents?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #51

Georgia
AND unit arrive damaged. Not a happy camper.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1467305126.209896.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	96910Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1467305139.576332.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	96911

Old 01-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #52

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Air should be recirculated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
. . .Right now the cheapest option is running a window AC with the cold air coming through a dryer vent in the small door window.
Or a more permanent mount would be to install it under a dinette bench with the hot air ducted out the floor. But with that you lose allot of storage space as well.
An AC will be more efficient if you recycle the room air back to the unit to be recooled. otherwise, you are throwing away (for example) cool 75 degree air and sucking in more 95 degree air. Typical ACs have a differential of 12 to 18 degrees, so eventually cool a space by incrementally dropping the temp in stages. Otherwise, you are just blowing in more 80 degree air.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #53

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E View Post
. . .
The remote does not work from inside the trailer so I got the thermostat that is wired to the in-flow port of the Climate Right.
Climateright does sell an optional wired thermostat control for $40. Or you can just buy a "remote control extender" from $4 to $20.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #54

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Climate Right customer service

We have used the Climate Right 5000 BTU heat pump with our Hunter Compact II for a solid year now. Last night I emailed the company with a specific question about an air-conditioning cycle. This morning I had a personal response waiting in my inbox. The company representative led me through a diagnostic dialog, via email, that solved my problem in less than 24 hours. I am very impressed with Climate Right's customer service. It was a very refreshing experience.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 AM   #55

Name: Samantha
Trailer: Amerigo
Vermont
I have the 5000 btu ClimateRight for our 16ft Amerigo, it works great, have used it for 2 years. Originally we uses it just with the remote, but after the first season we decided to buy the indoor thermostat for it to regulate the temperature better and it works great. Its great to have both ac and heat in the same unit. We didn’t put holes in our fiberglass, we made a wooden board to accept the hoses in our utility door that is attached to vents under our bench/couch area. We did not install it on our tongue, we carry it in our vehicle when we travel and put it on collapsible stands when in use behind the camper.
skpcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #56

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
ray from Missouri from bob in Missouri we have a 13f scamper it has roof a/c I wish it wasn't there in 2 years we have never turned it on. if we go to Bennett springs the only place we pay for camping we run the basic site.

our system we stay outside until dark by then it has started cooling off I have a 12v truck fan after about 1 hour it has cooled down so much we are looking for covers and turn the fan off!

high humidity never a problem either for us maybe we are just hardy!! if I had a tt without a/c I would mount it in the closest as some have done those little 5k units runs so quite and efficiently!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:40 AM   #57

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I have a climateright 2500btu unit left over from a different project, its a very small unit. They use them in atm machines and dog houses. I put the 2500 unit in a 10x10 room and it was barely able to keep up with the temperature in the high 70's.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #58

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
The plan with our LIL Hauley build out is to use a climate right AC and carry it with us in case we need it. We are also considering a propex heater and to carry and use when we need it. They would use the same trailer penetrations. In our research my wife found this very appealing window AC unit. Apparently it is a new design funded by crowd funding. They anticipate sales to start about now, but I could not find. I could just be vapor ware! It would certainly be a nice unit for an RV, especially if you put it in a window like Mike N Laurie do.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #59

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
All,

I posted this on another thread but this seems to be the main Climate Right thread.

I had a very unsatisfactory experience with the 2500 btu unit. I bought one for our Little Guy teardrop, tested it at home (shore and generator power), where it was a little temperamental by not always cooling, but that eventually went away. We drove to Alabama in the summer where it refused to cool (no refrigerant). Climate Right sent me a new one (to my home, not to Alabama) without even asking what went wrong. I must not have been the first with the problem. I still had to endure Alabama with a broken AC.

The new one I again tested, though for longer, then drove to Missouri in the summer. It was DOA, same problem. The fan would come on but the compressor would not engage. No refrigerant. We survived with a Lowes $110 window unit with ducts made from the box it came in and duct tape. Climate Right refused to replace it since it was more than a year after the original purchase of the first unit.

Taking it apart (since it was a $500 door stop at this point) you can see where they cut corners and don't put in vibration dampers on the copper refrigerant tubes and coils.

You can look at the glowing reviews on their website, but try to find a place there to submit a review. Tells you something.

I spent a lot of time installing the ducts and building a mounting platform for the Climate Right and never had it work except in testing at home. I will stick with the window unit that our Snoozy came with and replace it with a Lowes/Home Depot/WalMart unit if I ever have to.

I can confirm, however, that when it was working in testing it was sufficient to cool a very small (4 wide) teardrop.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #60

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I am leaning strongly toward getting a ForestAir mini split this spring.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote