Anyone using ClimateRight AC? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 AM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Question Anyone using ClimateRight AC?

Just wondered if anyone is using a ClimateRight AC unit for their trailer?
ClimateRight Air - Portable Outdoor Climate Control Systems
If so, how did you hook it up, how do you like it, etc?
Thanks.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:45 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Not using one but based on specifications, it would struggle to cool a 13-foot trailer. And, it requires cutting a hole in the wall because the unit sits outside when in use. Not sure I would want to cut a hole in the wall of my camper for something like this when I could add a permanent mount A/C.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
What's in a name?

I'm always specious of names like Climate Right. Are they trying to save the planet or cool/heat your trailer (space)? More likely they will not adequately cool or heat your trailer. The ratings seem inadequate for either function.

In Europe they are going to require reduced wattage hair dryers to save electricity. Since a hair dryer removes water from hair and that takes a defined amount of heat (energy) cutting the wattage of the hair dryer in half just insures that it will take twice as long and use the same amount of energy.

Personally we have a 5000 watt BTU air conditioner, twice the cooling power of the Climate Right that draws a similar amount of current and only costs $120 and a heater with twice the output that cost $20. Our heater and air conditioner have proven to be adequate for 95% of our camping environments.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There is a 5,000 btu unit for $549 and both units require two holes cut in the wall, one for cool air in, and one for exhaling warm air out.

ClimateRight 5000 btu A/C & Heater
Daniel E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Texas
I ordered one for our Scamp 13. They were out of stock so it will be a couple of weeks. Not sure exactly where I'm going to drill the holes yet.
Lat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

California
Registry
I don't have one but if I did I would look at making a temporary panel to fit in a wndow for the vent hoses, similar to other in house portable AC units. My brother-in-law had one for a teardrop trailer and it had a couple PVC pipes from below on the side of the trailer that connected to the interior.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #7

Texas
Interesting thought for sure. I'm not thrilled with the idea of drilling two four inch holes into the fiberglass shell. The front window (under the gravel shield) would be a good candidate for something like that.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #8

Texas
Just got a tracking number. It will be here Friday the 26th. Decision time coming soon. ��
Old 09-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The thing I don't get about ACs and sizes is why they only refer to square feet and never to how much you need to lower the temperature. It seems like a unit that would cool from 85 to 75 wouldn't have to be anywhere near as large as one that had to cool from 105 to 75, but that never seems to be part of the formula.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'm always specious of names like Climate Right. Are they trying to save the planet or cool/heat your trailer (space)? More likely they will not adequately cool or heat your trailer. The ratings seem inadequate for either function.

In Europe they are going to require reduced wattage hair dryers to save electricity. Since a hair dryer removes water from hair and that takes a defined amount of heat (energy) cutting the wattage of the hair dryer in half just insures that it will take twice as long and use the same amount of energy.

Personally we have a 5000 watt BTU air conditioner, twice the cooling power of the Climate Right that draws a similar amount of current and only costs $120 and a heater with twice the output that cost $20. Our heater and air conditioner have proven to be adequate for 95% of our camping environments.
2500 BTU' s is too small to cool a trailer when temps are in the 80's or 90's and when temps are in the 70's a roof fan would suffice . A unit that small will never cool the trailer to a comfortable temp nor remove a sufficient amount of humidity and IMHO is a waste of money and energy
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just take a look at the smallest RV specific roof mounted a/c. The smallest I have ever seen was about 7800 BTU, a lot more than what you are getting.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:55 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
I thought of installing but didn't want the holes. For $119 a 5000btu fits nicely in the rear window. Easy in and out and it stowes under couch if wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
Frigidaire 5000 BTU 002.jpg  
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #13

Name: Tom
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Laurie View Post
I thought of installing but didn't want the holes. For $119 a 5000btu fits nicely in the rear window. Easy in and out and it stowes under couch if wanted.
Mike, do you find 5,000 BTUs adequate for FL? I had Scamp put a roof top A/C on our build. We wanted it primarily for FL. It is 13,500 BTUs and seems like it might be overkill. In fact someone told me it is the one Scamp uses on the 16s and 19s as well. We only used it a couple times so far, but we joke that the air in the trailer is colder than in the frig. If your unit passes the Florida test, I think it would be a better option. I like your non permanent installation too.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Scamp and other RV builders tend to only use the 13,500 BTU unit because it seems to cost less than the lower production smaller units like the Polar Cub 9,600 BTU (?) unit. It also means that they can buy the one model in quantity and only have a singular unit in stock.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Mike, do you find 5,000 BTUs adequate for FL? I had Scamp put a roof top A/C on our build. We wanted it primarily for FL. It is 13,500 BTUs and seems like it might be overkill. In fact someone told me it is the one Scamp uses on the 16s and 19s as well. We only used it a couple times so far, but we joke that the air in the trailer is colder than in the frig. If your unit passes the Florida test, I think it would be a better option. I like your non permanent installation too.

Tom
Tom I think I figured the sq footage at about 75 sq ft. The 5000 btu is more than adequate. Actually we have to run it on low as is gets to cold inside. Now I know some have built them into the closet next to the door but with the unit hanging outside it's much more efficient. I would think a larger unit wouldn't cycle properly. Now Casita puts a 8000 BTU in the 16' model but again it's built into a cabinet and I'll bet its losing efficiency.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #16

Florida
I would never be able to fit it in the carport or a garage as it is to tall with the roof top. I would prefer to have a permanent mount but I can run the 5000 btu on a Honda Eu2000i rather than having to have a heavy Eu3000i at 3x the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar 003.JPG  
Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Michigan
Thanks for the reply Mike. We got the A/C primarily for visiting your state. I was just wondering if 5,000 BTU's were adequate. Since you live there, you are my Subject Matter Expert. I am having a difficult time finding an indoor storage facility for our Scamp. We'll need at least a 9 ft door. We plan to move, so I don't want to build a permanent solution at our present home. I'm thinking we could have went with a window A/C such as you have. Oh well, what's done is done.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #18

California
Registry
Mike-N-Laurie, it looks your AC mount is just a water pipe insulation tube between AC unit and windowframe and a piece of wood to keep the unit from falling out. Is that really all there is? Looks wonderfully simple.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #19

Florida
Yes and it fits like a glove...
Old 09-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #20

Florida
Make sure you use the thicker pipe insulation.
I found it a Ace Hardware.