Appraisals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you had your fiberglass rv appraised?
No I have not had my fbrv appraised 4 100.00%
Yes - it appraised for more than I paid/invested including mods 0 0%
Yes - it appraised for less than I paid/invested including mods 0 0%
Yes - it appraised for what I paid/invested including mods 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Appraisals

Okay I am sure this has been discussed here before but I just read about a U-Haul resto-mod on a facebook group that appraised at $19K, surprisingly more than I expected even though it is a top notch unit. Now I am wondering what my '71 Boler will appraise at once completed of our frame up resto-mod...

So I thought I would do a poll of who has done appraisals of their fbrv and if anyone would like to share the details (make, model, year, mods done, appraisal value, who done the appraisal, pics, etc.) I would love to hear about it...

Thanks,
John
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Hi Johnny,

I bought an '81 Scamp. I went to my bank to try to get a loan. NADA does not list my camper. NADA only goes to 1984 on Scamp campers. They don't even list Bolers. I could not get a loan against my trailer because NADA had no estimated value. Fortunately I had the cash saved up.

That being said, this is more of a niche market. It's not much different than vintage cars or trailers. The value of the trailer is more in what someone is willing to pay. You will never get out of it what you put in, unless you were really stingy with parts. Your substantial labor (and love) investment will not hold much value to the next owner, unless they like your artistry and craftsmanship.

And I find your restoration journey to be insightful and very helpful. Thank you for sharing it.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:38 AM   #3

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Hi Johnny,

I bought an '81 Scamp. I went to my bank to try to get a loan. NADA does not list my camper. NADA only goes to 1984 on Scamp campers. They don't even list Bolers. I could not get a loan against my trailer because NADA had no estimated value. Fortunately I had the cash saved up.

That being said, this is more of a niche market. It's not much different than vintage cars or trailers. The value of the trailer is more in what someone is willing to pay. You will never get out of it what you put in, unless you were really stingy with parts. Your substantial labor (and love) investment will not hold much value to the next owner, unless they like your artistry and craftsmanship.

And I find your restoration journey to be insightful and very helpful. Thank you for sharing it.
Thanks Kay for the input and kind words. I agree with what you said, but my main aim here with regard to appraisals was for insurance purposes. I think it would be much easier to get an insurance company to insure to a specific value if you had a reputable appraisal.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Where does one go for an appraisal? I know my insurance company bases everything off of NADA, so how do you go about getting a realistic appraisal that the insurance company will accept?

Now you have really peaked my interest. I am hoping someone who has gone through the process can help.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #5

Deep South
I am thinking about calling Paul Neumister since he is a Boler guru. If you have a Scamp I would think Evelands could appraise it?

The U-haul I mentioned above was appraised by Tim Heintz with Heintz Designs Vintage Trailer Restorations. I am sure there are other reputable sources for appraisals although they may be hard to find. The TV show Flyte Camp comes to mind too. Maybe the admins could add a new section for links to appraisers for vintage trailers.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here my insurance company (Intact) said they will send their own (or contracted) appraiser when our restorations are complete and we're ready to hit the road and have the trailer fully insured.

My only concern is if the appraiser will fully understand the value of these old trailers. If not, he's in for a lecture in FG trailers 101. Over the last years I've collected all the classified for similar FG trailers. They show asking prices, not actual selling prices, but around here asking prices are high, these trailers sell almost overnight are are very sought after, so I'm ready to demonstrate the value of my trailer should he come up with some out of line value.

I paid $7000 for it 2 years ago, I'm expecting nothing short of 10K, and lately many similar trailers were up for sale in the 10k range *not renovated*. I've also extensively documented my renos, here and on a dedicated blog.

The appraisal will take place in a few weeks, since we're almost done with the renos.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #7

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
Here my insurance company (Intact) said they will send their own (or contracted) appraiser when our restorations are complete and we're ready to hit the road and have the trailer fully insured.

My only concern is if the appraiser will fully understand the value of these old trailers. If not, he's in for a lecture in FG trailers 101. Over the last years I've collected all the classified for similar FG trailers. They show asking prices, not actual selling prices, but around here asking prices are high, these trailers sell almost overnight are are very sought after, so I'm ready to demonstrate the value of my trailer should he come up with some out of line value.

I paid $7000 for it 2 years ago, I'm expecting nothing short of 10K, and lately many similar trailers were up for sale in the 10k range *not renovated*. I've also extensively documented my renos, here and on a dedicated blog.

The appraisal will take place in a few weeks, since we're almost done with the renos.
Thanks Carl for the insight. I too have well documented everything and have receipts for everything from the new axle down to the light bulbs . So when I get to that point of actually getting the appraisal done I too will be ready to give a fiberglass 101 if needed but I am hoping to find someone who can do it who has the knowledge or at least the ability to research the values of these gems. Ours being what I believe is one of the first 200 American Bolers made I believe make it all the more rare but we will see. After extensive brainstorming we have decided to call our "Suite 13". Here is the graphix I have been working on for the front window.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler American logo 1971 vintage-01.jpg  
Old 03-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #8

Name: Terrice
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
This maybe a bit off topic but, I have a 17' Boler in almost original MINT condition and I would like to get it appraised. I have been asking around but no luck. Also, Is it best to leave it as is because of it's condition like for example repainting or removing the original furnace that was a fire hazard and putting in a newer one. I don't want to do anything to lose it's value. I keep it stored in a storage facility all winter.

A) Does anyone know a licensed appraiser?

The original paint is in good condition. A little sun bubbling and the decals have been removed to prepare for a new paint job. Even though I can paint it, should I!

C) Removing the original propane furnace ( history of being a fire hazard) and replacing with an electric one. Again, I am struggling with the decision to do it or leave it for value and originality.

Thanks,
Terrice
Blondee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
No way I would remove that furnace. At best, removal and replacement will not affect the value, but you spent money to do it. I would put zero value into an electric furnace myself. If I have shore power, then a $25 small box heater works fine.

No, you shouldn't repaint it. Its a ton of work, and the supplies will cost you money. I thought the original 17 Boler was polished gel coat and not painted.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:36 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I just got my annual insurance policy. I pay less than $100 for comprehensive. My 11 year old Trillium was about $13k new. That's what's listed on the policy. Obviously, they will pay as little as they can. Should I need to collect I will direct them to:

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/

Insurance and warranties are arguments waiting to happen. In the end you take what they give you.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #11

Name: Terrice
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
No way I would remove that furnace. At best, removal and replacement will not affect the value, but you spent money to do it. I would put zero value into an electric furnace myself. If I have shore power, then a $25 small box heater works fine.

No, you shouldn't repaint it. Its a ton of work, and the supplies will cost you money. I thought the original 17 Boler was polished gel coat and not painted.
Thanks Thrifty for your response.
Leaving it as is sounds like the best advice in the long run. I still ned to find an appraiser for a true value analysis since it is an investment.

Terrice
Blondee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Try This Site

https://www.goodsam.com/valueplus/
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
an RV should be considered an investment in yoiur mental health, enabling you to travel with minimum hassles. they are in no way a sound financial investment in the conventional sense, better to put your cash in a S&P 500 Index Fund.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Value ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post

I can't even IMAGINE Good SAM / Camping World giving you top dollar for your '71 boler . . or my Scamp or my Compact Jr. You've seen what is on their lots; Bulgemobiles , Gigantibagos, or campy $20,000 Solartronic Teardrops . They don't know fiberglas eggs and don't CARE. Somewhere there is some Individual who would love your boler, Scamp or Compact Jr , so somewhere there is an Individual Appraiser who would appreciate and value it correctly. Hopefully someone on fiberglas RV will know .David in Fresno & Sonora
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I would find a suitable newer propane furnace that can be adapted to fit where the original one was, if the original one is considered unsafe.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I can't even IMAGINE Good SAM / Camping World giving you top dollar for your '71 boler . . or my Scamp or my Compact Jr. You've seen what is on their lots; Bulgemobiles , Gigantibagos, or campy $20,000 Solartronic Teardrops . They don't know fiberglas eggs and don't CARE. Somewhere there is some Individual who would love your boler, Scamp or Compact Jr , so somewhere there is an Individual Appraiser who would appreciate and value it correctly. Hopefully someone on fiberglas RV will know .David in Fresno & Sonora
It is a place to start and get the lowball answer then go from there.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:27 PM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
an RV should be considered an investment in yoiur mental health, enabling you to travel with minimum hassles. they are in no way a sound financial investment in the conventional sense, better to put your cash in a S&P 500 Index Fund.

Agree!

Best answer I have ever heard on this was from a guy with a $1 million motor coach. He said he knew it would quickly lose value but to him, it was an “investment in lifestyle”. He and his wife were living in it full time and retired. You can’t take it with you and it was clear he could afford it so they were living a lifestyle while they physically could. Life is short.

On appraisals, I’m a fan of the fiberglass RV 4 sale site. Look at the listing of sold trailers. Actual selling prices are not listed but I would guess that most sell for close to asking price. Look at the pictures and compare what you have up and down. See if anything is currently for sale (the competition) and go for it.

The market will tell you. If you price too high, it won’t move. At that point, adjust price.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote