Attach wood to gelcoat??? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Attach wood to gelcoat???

What is the best way to attach a wood block to the gelcoat finish?

I cannot fiberglass it on.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by artspe View Post
What is the best way to attach a wood block to the gelcoat finish?

Well, since it IS April 1, I'll lead off by suggesting 5 inch spiral Ardox nails. Just be sure you use the coated ones, as you do not want rust streaks running down the side of the trailer....

Old 04-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Command Strips

If whatever you're attaching is not too heavy, you can use command strips ( All Products:*Refill Strips ).
They're a version of high bonding double sided tape and they can be easily removed.
I used 4 of them to attach this shelf.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
SSL22081.JPG   SSL22082.JPG  

Old 04-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
If whatever you're attaching is not too heavy, you can use command strips ( All Products:*Refill Strips ).
They're a version of high bonding double sided tape and they can be easily removed.
I used 4 of them to attach this shelf.

Ron

Ron,

I am making drawers for under the bed. I need to attach a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" piece of wood on both sides to attach a face board to . Need something permanent.

Art
Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #5

Registry
I've used 3M 4200 Fast Cure polyurethane adhesive in the past to attach blocks inside the closets. I also used it to re-face the kitchen when I installed the propane furnace. The re-facing is holding well, but it also has help from some of the appliances, and it's not really carrying any weight. I can't say how well it will hold on the smoother surface of gel coat, if it had to support any significant weight.

Depending on where you're placing the blocks, you could always use wood screws from the interior of the storage areas? I hate to drill holes anywhere if I can help it, but sometimes it's the only reliable method.

Here's what I did for my drawers.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0950.jpg   100_0952.jpg  

100_0954.jpg   Furnace-18.JPG  

Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
I've used automotive adhesives like 3M Duramix 4240. This is a two-part mix that requires a professional's application "gun" (usually available for rent). Sets up fast. Works great. I recommend that you scuff up the gelcoat area (use masking tape to create edges) before you glue.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
I've used 3M 4200 Fast Cure polyurethane adhesive in the past to attach blocks inside the closets. I also used it to re-face the kitchen when I installed the propane furnace. The re-facing is holding well, but it also has help from some of the appliances, and it's not really carrying any weight. I can't say how well it will hold on the smoother surface of gel coat, if it had to support any significant weight.

Depending on where you're placing the blocks, you could always use wood screws from the interior of the storage areas? I hate to drill holes anywhere if I can help it, but sometimes it's the only reliable method.

Here's what I did for my drawers.
i like those under the bed drawers. can you remove the whole unit if your planning on using the dinette once in awhile?
seems like i could work that up. sometimes we take the camper for a day trip just so we can have a comfy place to sit and eat .like a trip to the museum , or zoo.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #8

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Attach Wood To Gelcoat

You could use JB Weld. It's a 2 part system. Just squeeze some from each tube, mix, and apply. It will need support until dry. They offer regular and a Quick Dry formula.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #9

Registry
John,
Our EggCamper has a permanent bed and a small side dinnette. The drawers work great for us, since we can remove the plastic tubs, take them in the house to pack, then just throw them in the trailer and we're set to go. The wheels are from Rockler. I did add a closet pole across the bottom front of the drawers for travel. The catches on the small handles just didn't hold them in on the road.

Ron
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #10

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I would imagine it would need to be supported, but peterh said this about 3M 4200:

Most marine stores carry the 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant products; the "Fast Cure 4200" product should work well for most fiberglass trailer applications as long as you want the thing you're sticking on to be permanently attached;

So here's where I'll use 3M 4200: to permanently attach the plastic hatch frames I just bought into the holes I've cut in my trailer's sides. 4200 is a good choice because, unlike butyl tape, 4200 will bond the frame to the fiberglass, allowing stresses to be borne by both fiberglass shell and the hatch frames, and this'll prevent stress cracking in the fiberglass at the corners of the hatch.

a tube of 4200 costs something like $20 and has to be used within 48 hours of when the seal is broken;

I copied this info from this thread, which has nothing to do with what you're asking... I just came across the info: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/butyl-tape-vs-butyl-caulk-newbie-looking-for-input-34669.html#post142167
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: Shopping
Rhode Island
3M 4200 will hold a lot, 5200 even more; both are permanent adhesives. Kind of depends on how much weight said block will have to hold.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #12

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Drilling holes for bolts to attach something to a fiberglass panel is more reversible than glueing the something to it.

If you can reach the other side drill small holes for 6/32 or 8/32 bolts and use stop nuts. If you are drilling into a blind space use 6/32 or 8/32 well nuts.

You can fill the holes with epoxy putty later if you change your mind.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #13

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Drilling holes for bolts to attach something to a fiberglass panel is more reversible than glueing the something to it.

If you can reach the other side drill small holes for 6/32 or 8/32 bolts and use stop nuts. If you are drilling into a blind space use 6/32 or 8/32 well nuts.

You can fill the holes with epoxy putty later if you change your mind.
That's fine Brooke, except Art has an Eggcamper and it's double-hulled... no through bolts, screws or rivets. No point starting now!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #14

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
I have a uhaul. Well nuts work great to attach things where you can't get to the other side and they seal the hole from moisture too.