atwood gas water heater - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #15
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Atwood uses a plastic plug for a reason. Brass and aluminum do not get along too well. You will get some corrosion from the reaction of dissimilar metals. Stainless steel would be a better choice.
You're right of course. And I'd gladly pay the extra for a SS one.
When the plastic ones from Amazon come in I'll take one around and see if I can find a metal one.

Past owner of 1995 13' Casita, 1994 16' Casita, 2012 Parkliner.
Current owner of 2002 17' Bigfoot
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #16
Name: Leo
Trailer: Scamp 13 ,Front room Layout 2
atwood gas water heater

Jon V
Great input, thanks! wattage matters but I don't have problem waiting.
If I am camping I have the time and you know I really don't need hot water
all i need is a little warm water. thanks again and have wonderfull day.

Snowberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #17
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
You can add a "Hot Rod" element - one example: (Robot Check). It will heat much slower than on gas or compared to a water heater with built in electric because the element is fairly low wattage (425 watts compared to 1500 for a built in element), but it works.
A 425 watt element will work very well -slowly, but very well- with a small generator. I used one with my boat years ago. I had a small Honda generator, less than 1000 watts and loved the set up.
Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #18
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
What's the problem that's being solved?
My water heater runs on propane only. I turn it on for about 15 or 20 minutes in the morning and turn it off. Uses very little propane. If all you want is warm water, it will still be warm many hours later.
Heater gets turned on again for 15 min. after supper for dishes and gets turned on for showers.
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #19
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Glenn Baglo;581030]What's the problem that's being solved?

The problem I solved was carrying propane tanks that I didn't use for anything else and paying for a refill once a month. Campground electric where we go is included in the daily rate. Not that the money was an issue, I just wanted to cut down the tongue weight
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #20
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Same here as Mary & Bob. I completely removed my propane tank. Use one $9 hot plate and a toaster oven (to which I've used from day 1). I use the Hot Rod, have it wired into my breaker box with its own breaker. I have a slot cut in the front of my breaker box cover (for my finger) so a switch can not accidentally be turned on. IF you turn it on and there's no water in the might get 1 minute out of the unit without burning it up. Be fore-warned!

There's no going outside to light my tank as before. It's very quiet and runs without even knowing it's there. Cheap upgrade that I would not be without now. I use nylon bushings and a special tool I made for the setup to remove a "crow's foot". The bushings can easily be purchased at a "Tractor Supply" store (TSC).

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote