Augmenting cushions with foam, weight limit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #1

Name: Evan & Sue
Trailer: 1986 13' Scamp
Iowa
Question Augmenting cushions with foam, weight limit

Just bought a 1986 13'Scamp. Stayed one night on the way home from picking it up. The bed was so hard it was like sleeping on a board. I don't want to put a foam topper on it because I would need storage when using the table. So some creative problem solving would be helpful.
1. I thought about putting foam topper in each cushion. They need recovering anyway and I want an inner cover and outer removable washable cover. (previously done in another Scamp). But if I do that will the cushions fit back into seats by the table? Or does someone have a better idea? Foam topper attached to ceiling that drops down?
2. Second question. How much weight will the bunk beds hold? Adult use of 150, 200 pounds?
3. I am cleaning (Softscrub with bleach) and preserving (3M Marine Restorer and Wax) because that is what I used on previous Scamp (2000 was year of work can't remember year of 5th wheel). Are there better products now?
Thanks
BuildStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Burro
Iowa
For cleaning I used generic magic erasers from the dollar tree and water. It was incredible how quickly it went from looking old to new.
Mtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I've read on FGRV that the 13' Scamp bunks hold about 100 pounds.
Designed for children, not adults.

YMMV, though.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Augmenting cushions with foam, weight limit

There is no official weight limit for the Scamp bunk. A lot depends on the condition of the mounting ledge under the front window. Everything in good condition, 100-120 pounds is about right. Definitely not full-size adults.

As to the foam, preferences vary. We are fine with ours. There were a couple of discussions a while back about substituting a different grade of foam. If there is an upholstery supply warehouse near you, they could probably identify what you have and guide you to an appropriate replacement.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We bought IKEA solid foam mattresses 7" thick in their AS IS deparment for 50% off, and cut them to fit our needs. They're comfortable, but a little heavy.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
My suggestion is to get a self inflating camping mattress. When not needed roll it up and put an attractive pillow case over it and just leave it out to lounge against. They are easy to inflate and to put away. Sporting goods stores that sell camping equipment stock them.

They are also handy when you have two people sharing a bed and one likes a softer mattress than the other person. They come in a few variations of thickness and width.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight