Auxiliary tail/brake lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Auxiliary tail/brake lights

As with others on this forum, I've had enough close calls with distracted drivers to become concerned about the adequacy of the factory lights on the back of our Scamp. Higher and brighter was my goal. Our Scamp is sufficiently new that I'm still reluctant to alter the exterior appearance or drill more holes in the shell so a permanent mount above the rear window was not attractive. Here's what I did and am happy with the result.

I used these LED lights:
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-function...proof+USA+Made

A happy serendipity - the screws holding the rear window are spaced exactly to match the holes in these lamps. I used small brass picture hangar hooks inserted under these screws. Short sections of plumbers hanging strap (the vinyl, not the metal version, were fastened to the LED strips with small bolts. I used a standard 4 wire trailer wiring harness tapped into the Scamps lighting wires as they passed through the electrical compartment and snaked it under the fur up to the cabinet over the bed/dining table.

I now have full function tail and brake lamps and turn signals at top of window height and they are brighter than the factory lights. We tend to leave them hanging if we are stopped only for the night but for longer periods it takes only seconds to unplug them, stash the pigtail and the lamps in a closet.

(oops - looks from the preview mode that the close up detail of the lamp on the hook got turned 90 degrees. Probably easier for you to turn your head than for me to figure out how to fix it)
Attached Thumbnails
tail1.jpg   tail2.JPG  

tail3.JPG   tail4.jpg  

WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I set up a rear view camera similarly to avoid holes. Worked pretty well!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #3

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Looks good, David. Like you I wanna been seen.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:58 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
David's post is the one I referred to. I did pretty much exactly what he did and it works great. This is why I love this forum - we get the benefit of so many brains and creative people.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights