Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #1

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
Awning

Could one of you wonderful folks direct me to posts or websites that will teach me how to build a simple awning that can be attached to the length of the trailer and be removed easily? The commercial ones are all too large, not to mention expensive. Thanks all! Filbert
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is one of my favorites! Inexpensive Awning - DIY
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

Thanks Donna, just what I was looking for! You'd make a great librarian with your informational skills. Thanks also for sending some rain down to parched San Diego. Filbert

Awning rail here:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-876.htm
Old 03-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Check your local RV supplier for the Awing rail. It is typically a stock item that can be cut to size and picked up.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

Will do Roy, than you!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #6

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Filbert you could also do a "down and dirty" tarp thing. Which I have used at times.
First make sure you have an awning rail installed. then get a tarp that is the same width as your rail. Lay the tarp down and lay a rope (One that will fit into the rail)
about 3 inches in parallel to the edge. Fold the edge over the rope and tape it down with DUCT Tape. Now feed the rope edge into the rail. Then get two expandable tent poles and 4 tent stakes from Wal Mart. Then attach the expended tarp to the poles. One pole on each corner. Then tie down the two poles with two ropes each at a 45 degree angle and stake it.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #7

Thanks Diane, and that should match my 5 liter box of fine wine at the campground! Seriously, you have a great inexpensive idea. I don't know what the opposite of "glamping" is, but that would be me.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #8

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Our first trailer (Boler) didn't have an awning rail. But, for some reason, the previous owner had installed a couple of eye bolts through the belly band on each end of the trailer.

What we did for an awning:
I bought a cheap self-supporting awning from K-Mart (I swear, I think it was something like $5 for a 10x10 awning. Has a pole in each corner and one in the middle.
On one side of the awning, I just laid it up on top of the Boler tying lines to the corners which then tied into the eye bolts.
From this point, I'd just set up the rest as originally intended. Pole on each corner with lines to the ground. Pole in the middle.

Sure it's not as fancy as PVC plumbing... but it got the job done for $5.

I may actually have to recreate that (or something similar) for the Amerigo I'm working on. I'm not sure there is room for an awning rail on it. There's VERY little room between the top edge of the drip rail over the door and where the roof starts to curve to the roof. Not enough for an awning rail I fear. So I may be stuck doing some sort of clever alternative instead.
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #9

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Found an old photo with the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
firstcamp.jpg  
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #10

That looks great Mike! Thanks for the idea and sharing the photo.

Tags
awning