Awning for Scamp 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I don't know if you have West Marine boating supply stores up north, but I buy Sika-Flex all the time at any West Marine store here in the States. It's a normally stocked item on the shelf. If you don't have a West marine, perhaps another marine outfitter may carry it.

And it is one of my favorite adhesive sealants as well.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:00 AM   #22

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Ramona View Post
I am interested in adding such an awning to my Hunter II but would have to drill holes and rivet the awning rail which could then pose added leak problems...

How did you attach the awning rail?

And how has others does this and have anyone had leaking problems?

thank you, jim
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Jim, we got a new bag awning for our Boler 1300 and got a real great deal on a mistake order from a dealer but it was a foot longer then my old awning so had to order new rail. Here is how I attached it:

Held up new rail in position I wanted it and drilled first one hole on end while wife held it level and in place at other end. Put in a small bolt with nut on inside to hold it in place.
Drilled 2nd hole about 1/2 down the rail, inside closet area and bolted that.
Drilled other end and bolted that.
Now with the rail in place drilled all remaining holes just through the shell not the inulite or finish inside. Use a block on your drill bit to only leave about 1/8 head of bit out to make sure you do not go through.
Take rail down, put bead of Dicor Lap sealent to back of rail and with wifes help put rail back on trailer with the 3 bolts again holding it on but not too tight to make it buckle.
Starting at one end, took proper lenght rivet, put on one of those cream colored screw cover buttons, comlete with covers, you buy at hardware stores, Take 1st bolt out and push rivet into hole hard and rivet into place.
Do same with 2nd bolt hole then other end.
I worked the middle of these 2 spans and did the same and every time going to the middle of the spans to eliminate any deformities the Lap Seal may cause.
After all riveted I then put a dab of Lap Seal in each button and closed cover.
No Leaks....Looks good inside and out. which is important to wife
Only slight hole that one can see is in cabinets so really out of sight.
Good Luck
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Great job I wish I knew how to make that stitched seam in picture 3. My old school singer 401A should be able to do it
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #24

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13' Bunk Bed September 2017
Washington
Stitched Seam

Steve, That seam looks like a form of a French seam. I just checked and there's a ton of YouTubes on French seams.
Spokane Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
OK thank You, I'll look up French seam.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:49 PM   #26

Name: Annalise
Trailer: Scamp
Lake Worth
Wow! Looks Great!