Awning Install - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #15

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Very nice way to put it Francesca! I like your style!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm in the same corner as Francesca. I mounted an A&E case anwing on my Scamp. Three attachment points. Two are hidden and one pretty obvious inside. But, what I've gotten outside... shade.. is worth the obvious bolts seen on the inside. Most folks are only going to see the outside anyway. Besides, it suits me.. why should I care what others think?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #17

New York
Registry
I respect and appreciate Francesca's style, as I already posted. What others think does matter to me, in the light of their actual thinking and ideas. That is why I love it here, all of you wonderful people have such vast, different ideas, there's more than one way to do anything. I think we all love that too, and we get out of it the ideas that tickle our own fancy and roll with them.

However, the other meaning of the term I agree with you Donna. We do what makes us happy, what pleases us. For me, as far as seeing bolts inside the trailer, no, it wouldn't matter to me what other people think. It would just be my personal preference to not have that. It doesn't mean that I don't dig your style or respect it, actually, I do! It's probably just more a reflection of my being a fusspot, and as Francesca put it, serviceability is up her alley. That matters to me too, but I'm trying to balance things. And in light of how I really like the bag awnings and they are quite light, I think using rivets would probably work well, and heck - they are! So, let's keep on throwing out those ideas - you are all strong passionate people, and I am too. That's why we love it here!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #18

Oregon
Wendy Lee, as I mentioned there's only one of three obvious attachments for the awning inside my trailer. If you do something similar.. figure something to hide that two square inches of fugly... maybe a picture or clock? Honestly, it's not glaringly bad. I like "nice" too. If it were truly horrible, I couldn't stand it. YMMV
Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #19

New York
Registry
Hi Donna,
One little fugly I could live with! Ha ha! I love that term. Had to look up your YMMV...

Anywho bottom line is I bought my trailer used so the cabinet layout isn't all I would have ordered. But heck, I feel I bought the scamp at a great price and I love my little baby!

I love your posts Donna. I read many of your works and really dig your vitality! I'm on a huge learning curve and I love it!

With respect,
Wendy
Old 01-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #20

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
If you must use rivets, the 3/16" diameter ones have good tensile strength. I would use back-up washers when riveting through fiberglass, as the rivet while expanding will simply expand the fiberglass and not hold tensile loads very well. Also those rivets require a really burly rivet tool such as a Marson Big Daddy, which is expensive to purchase. Stainless bolts will hold better and require standard tools to install. I used fender washers under the nylox nuts to make mine extra fugly.
Russ

Correction: Sorry I meant 1/4" pop rivets above.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:51 AM   #21

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
On one of my past restores I had about 4 screws that went through to the inside that I had to just put up with. What I did to make them 'stealth' was to go to Lowe's and get a piece of decorative wood trim 3/4" wide that I grooved and then glued in place covering the screws. I then added another piece to the other side and nobody knew the difference.

As a side note, I do care what people think about the inside of my trailers because that where most of the work is done. (Anyone can paint the outside, what does the inside look like?)
Old 01-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #22

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
We just returned from camping today. There was a new 13' Scamp in the spot next to us. Their trailer had a factory installed Fiamma f45 awning in white. It was installed with 3 aluminum mounting plates bolted or riveted and sealed with some white goop smeared over the heads of the fasteners. I would guess the awning was about 7' long. You could call Scamp if interested in that setup. I think they only stock white metal and green fabric.
Russ
Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have mounted the outer edge of the plastic socket even with the edge of the awning. There is a velcro strap halfway out the edge of the awning that wraps around the "rafter" rail. I did not put butyl tape under the rail. Reason being that I did a test riveting on a scrap piece of fiberglass that I had cut out of the trailer. Riveted a short piece of rail to the fiberglass, with and without butyl tape under it. With the butyl under the rail it was not tight to the fiberglass and could be moved so I went without it. Others will disagree on this, but it's an individual decision. I went with the sealer instead. The test riveting was also to see how the rivet affected the fiberglass, would it crack it or distort it, but it did not. Russ has a good idea with the bolts and fender washers, I would have done that if the interior of the wall was accessible, but it was not unless I cut holes in the inner liner and didn't want to do that.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #24

Oregon
Someone has mounted an awing rail using VHB tape. And did so successfully. I believe it was done on a double-hull trailer because they couldn't get to the backside for bolts and didn't trust rivets. Something else to consider. If I get the time, I'll look for the post. You could ask the OP how well it's worked over time and if they have any regrets.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #25

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I considered VHB tape, but didn't know if I could trust that. Don't want the awning flying off on the interstate, already had that experience with kayaks!! I'm more of a bolts & nuts guy but settled for the rivets after testing on the scrap piece.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #26

Oregon
I understand the concern. But owners of RVs are starting to use VHB to secure expensive solar panels to the roof. I believe Norm & Ginny are (at least) one couple that I remember...

It's like anything that's used successfully. It's all in the prep!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #27

New York
Maybe we could get Mythbusters to test it!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #28

Oregon
Found one thread worth reading. Be sure to read Byron's info: Canopy attach advice please

Tags
awning