Awning Install - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #57

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Mary and bob,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Your number drill bits comment interests me because I noticed the McMaster peel rivets I ordered called for a number 5 drill bit. I just did some practicing the other night on a piece of PVC and all I used was a 3/16 drill bit. The rivet was a bit tight to fit in the hole despite it being a 3/16 rivet. I don't understand? Should I order number 5 from McMaster?

Wendy

Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #58

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Also Bob do you mean pinched the end of the rail in, as in crimped it with pliers so the awning doesn't slide off?

Wendy.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #59

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Also Bob do you mean pinched the end of the rail in, as in crimped it with pliers so the awning doesn't slide off?

Wendy.
Yes to this question. not a necessity though. The directions do say to put a screw through the rail and the awning at each end of the rail. Pinching the rail was me being over cautious. As for the #5 drill, it will be slightly larger than a 3/16 drill. I don't have a drill chart with me so can't quote the exact measurement, which would be in thousandths of an inch. I usually use a #11 or #12 drill which are slightly larger than 3/16 just to make it easier to insert the rivet. #5 is larger yet. I don't know if there is a reason for them recommending the #5 drill, it may have something to do with that type of rivet and how it opens. Maybe best idea is to follow their recommendation. Number drills may be difficult to find locally, especially individual ones rather than a set. An industrial supply company may have them.

Tags
awning