Awning Install - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #41

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
A Coleman Max canopy clears our scamp 13 drip edge with legs fully extended. I'm pretty sure it was around $125. I like that I don't have to have it right next to our camper for sites were it makes sense to move it out. I like the large size, and that I can use it when not camping for picnics etc.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Instant-Canopy-12-x-12/16663595#ProductDetail

What I don't like so much is the weight and bulk, we end up just setting it on the front couch for transport. Some extra weight at the hitch is generally good right?

Wife and myself just set it up and walk it over the camper but I have been considering some of those foam pipe wraps on the legs to make sure in a high wind the legs can not bang the trailer and cause damage. I stake out the lines at the corners as well as staking down the legs for a lot of stability but will feel better if there was padding around the legs next to the camper.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #42

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Francesca, may I ask what brand your awning is and where to shop? I'm trying to find one that my parents can manage. The bag awnings are out of their reach, and I don't want them climbing stools.
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #43

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
Francesca, may I ask what brand your awning is and where to shop? I'm trying to find one that my parents can manage. The bag awnings are out of their reach, and I don't want them climbing stools.
It's a Carefree Fiesta link- my purchase is a long story since it happened about the time a big kerfuffle arose between/among a bunch of folks about rights to build the resurrected Trillium. I THINK it came from the folks that now run "Outback"....at the time they were putting out 4500's as well as the "1300" which appears to be the only model they're selling now.

I only bought the tube/arms/hardware...too cheap to buy the fabric, too and didn't like the color choices anyway. The striped fabric you see in the pic is from a pole awning I already had. I like the retro look of it better.

The main difficulty in ordering elsewhere is the arm shape/ configuration, which doesn't seem to exist in ordinary catalogues. I could NOT figure out a way to buy them anywhere else- mfr. won't sell direct, and they may in fact be proprietary or something.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #44

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Ah, that explains why I can't find it! Another question for Tom when we call Trillium again...
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #45

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
Ah, that explains why I can't find it! Another question for Tom when we call Trillium again...
I'm not thinkin' Trillium Tom will be able to answer the question since at least from what I can see at his website they don't use the pulldown awning.

My advice is to call Joe at Trillium Outback- despite all the intervening confusion about names/sources, I think that's who I talked to and bought the awning setup from.
Link to Outback contact page
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #46

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Everybody,
I came across some nice stakes for anybody who has an awning attached to their trailer that uses ropes for extra insurance. They are called MSR Ground Hogs, and supposedly they don't bend. I had that problem when buying cheapies with my bag awning on the pop up I had. I'll definitely get these for the future on my Scamp. Just thought I'd pass along the link...

Amazon.com: MSR GroundHog Stake Kit: Sports & Outdoors

I hope that works!

Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #47

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I like the stakes that I have bought at Campmor, #23502 which is a 12" steel stake. They are fairly durable, also available in 9", 15", and 18". As you know Wendy, we can run into some hard soil conditions in the Northeast, so I also have some real heavy duty stakes that I made from 1" angle. Our winter location doesn't get much wind so I only have staked the pole bottoms, no guy ropes on the awning.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #48

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
My favorite stake is heavy barn spike nails from big box store with a washer slid up to the head. Carry them in a canvas bag with a hammer. Never bend, but not the best in sand, for sand I carry some plastic "T" shaped cheap stakes.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #49

New York
Registry
I copied your information Mary and Bob, about the Campmore stakes. I actually like those even better than the ground hogs. Similar style, but yours are steel, and they're cheaper. I just added campmor to my favorites menu!

I have decided what I shall do for the awning install. Are you all ready? (lights and music please)

I shall purchase a Shademaker Bag Awning either 8 foot supreme or 7 foot Classic (not sure yet)

I shall install with blind rivets for soft/brittle materials which have a 600 pound tensile strength

I shall screw up somehow

But I will fix it somehow

And I will be happy.

The End.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #50

New York
the big issue is how long a piece of awning rail can you install and have it be straight. I could only get a little over 7 feet on before getting into the curve of the roof. I had the rail, and had it installed, before I ordered the bag awning. Since I had 7 feet of rail I had to go with the Classic model awning. The Supreme is better, but unfortunately We couldn't use it. I believe the awning rail is reasonably priced if you order it with the awning. Since we first tried a rope & pole awning I bought the rail from Vintage Trailer Supply in Vermont. They ship it in a piece of PVC pipe so it can't get bent, but you pay for the pipe. If you could get the rail local before ordering the awning, then you could determine just how long a piece you can use, and then know which awning to get. Another Scamp owner may have that info. Get the optional center rafter.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #51

New York
Registry
Hi Mary and Bob,
I just went to vintage trailer supply which is another nice site you've told me about and I bookmarked! Their milled aluminum rail and PVC tube comes to about 31 bucks shipped. I could cut the 8 foot to 7 with my dremel. Shademaker says on their website or may e it was his email to me to not have the awning longer than the rail, although I know others have done it. I'm leaning more toward the classic as I am familiar with it anyway and I like to play it safe. Those blind rivets for soft materials were a find weren't they! I ready ordered 2 sizes from McMaster Carr. Made a note to get the center support too. Oh spring, where for art thou?

Fondly,
Wendy
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #52

New York
There's something about the rail length compared to the awning length. It's possible that the awning is just under 7 feet. As I recall the part of the awning that slides into the rail is longer than the actual awning material. Directions say to put a screw through the rail and awning to hold it in place. A little extra length on the rail is good. I'll try to get some measurements tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #53

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Wendy
I was reading somewhere (Maybe here.) there are two sizes of awning rails. Just make sure you get the one with the correct size tube if you don't get it from the awning mfg.
Eddie
Looks like J.C. Whitney has a 8' Shademaker rail for about $25 w/ free shipping.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #54

New York
Registry
Hi Eddie that is very important info! You mean the actual tube might be skinnier or thicker? I planned on buying my own actually. When I look online for it I haven't noticed multiple size tubes just different lengths.

Sincerely,
Wendy
Old 01-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #55

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Wendy
I was looking at the R pod Cabana as others have used here. It looks like all the cheap deals are no longer available. It seems R pod now have a visor available made by a Paha Que. In their add they state the R pod has two different diameter sized awning rails.
Paha Que' Wilderness Online: R-Pod Trailer Visor by PahaQue
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #56

New York
Standard awning rail is 3/8. I think there was a larger diameter one, but not used much. If you buy the rail from Vintage trailer supply, or with the awning you're good. We have the 7' awning. The bag is 7' long but the awning length along the rail is shorter, about 6'7". Rail needs to be at least 7' long, a couple inches extra is good. After I installed the awning and secured it with a screw at each end I also pinched the end of the rail. Wendy, if you have ordered the rivets, did you also order a couple of the number drills, they are not always available at local hardware stores.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #57

New York
Registry
Hi Mary and bob,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Your number drill bits comment interests me because I noticed the McMaster peel rivets I ordered called for a number 5 drill bit. I just did some practicing the other night on a piece of PVC and all I used was a 3/16 drill bit. The rivet was a bit tight to fit in the hole despite it being a 3/16 rivet. I don't understand? Should I order number 5 from McMaster?

Wendy
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #58

New York
Registry
Also Bob do you mean pinched the end of the rail in, as in crimped it with pliers so the awning doesn't slide off?

Wendy.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #59

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Also Bob do you mean pinched the end of the rail in, as in crimped it with pliers so the awning doesn't slide off?

Wendy.
Yes to this question. not a necessity though. The directions do say to put a screw through the rail and the awning at each end of the rail. Pinching the rail was me being over cautious. As for the #5 drill, it will be slightly larger than a 3/16 drill. I don't have a drill chart with me so can't quote the exact measurement, which would be in thousandths of an inch. I usually use a #11 or #12 drill which are slightly larger than 3/16 just to make it easier to insert the rivet. #5 is larger yet. I don't know if there is a reason for them recommending the #5 drill, it may have something to do with that type of rivet and how it opens. Maybe best idea is to follow their recommendation. Number drills may be difficult to find locally, especially individual ones rather than a set. An industrial supply company may have them.

Tags
awning