Awning Options - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
So, has anyone had problems with case/roll up mechanisms wearing out or not functioning properly after some time?
!
Yes which is why I suggested if you where considering one look at the Carefree type not the case awning type such as Dometic sells which I have. The Dometic type case awnings have heavy plastic end caps that have a guide built into them and if the person putting the awning away does not get it just right in getting the legs back up into the case the end caps will bend resulting in an awning that is very hard to put away securely - I learned that when I first got my awning as I had a really hard time getting the legs back up into the case and consulted with someone who know all about them pointed out that someone had forced it closed previously bending the end caps. Replaced the end caps and things got easier but its still is a pain to get the awning set at just the right height to get it to go back into the awning case correctly. Have been known to have to start over with putting it away more times than I care to remember. Also find I often need a little step ladder to get the leverage needed to get the legs parked back into the case.

There are other types of case awning that dont have the plastic end caps but the downside to most of those is the gap between the case and the trailer allows water to run down the side of the trailer on the awning side.

The Carefree style of roll up awning is very different as it does not have a case that the awning goes into and the legs are permanently attached to the trailer. Its also not a fussy about what height etc the awning is at when it starts to roll back up. Can be done easily by one person and no need to use a step stool. There is no gap between the awning and the trailer so no water running down the trailers awning side. The other plus to the Carefree style is you can pull the awning out only part way and firmly lock it in place - that cant be done with a Dometic style case awning.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Lashup of cheap tarp and what's left of my nylon Gander Mtn. dining canopy:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01370.jpg  

Old 10-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #17

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Picture to illustrate Carol H post above.
Carefree, partially open.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #18

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
Wow, those carefree awnings look nice!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #19

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Lashup of cheap tarp and what's left of my nylon Gander Mtn. dining canopy:
Rabbit, can you give more details on how your system works?
Old 10-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #20

Utah
Deryk, sorry about the auto complete name spelling. Stupid technology.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Parkliner Awning-on a lighter note

This older thread will tell you as much or more than you want to know about recent dining canopy/tarp lashups.

jack
Old 10-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #22

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Derek, your setup looks really nice, especially given that you don't have anything up there when the awning is down. Just to confirm, do you have anything going over the top of the trailer and down to the street side or are the two bungies on the ends enough? Also, how do you store the setup when not in use?

Thanks, Im overall happy with it. Nothing is perfect(heavy rain/winds are always going to be a problem) The 2 heavy duty bungie cords(the black thick rubber ones that you see truck drivers using) angled back towards the street side of the trailer hold it in place real nice. When I pack up I have a 6' bag the poles go into that I tie onto the tongue of Serenity up against the propane tanks and the awning, stakes, ropes, etc are folded up nicely and sit in the trunk on the back of her. I also added a strip of fabric on the underside of the awning that I need to add gromets to so I can add a privacy curtain like Gages.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #23

Utah
Thanks, Jack! I'll take a look.

Deryk, am I reading right -- is yours named Serenity too?! Thanks for the awning ideas, they're very helpful.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #24

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
yup...fond of the word and the ship

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #25

Utah
That's right, we've had this discussion! Shiny!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #26

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Quote:
Gage, I love your set up and we decided to go with Martin if we end up getting that type of awning. How difficult do the side panels make it to set up? Can you set it up without them? Thanks for sharing the picture.
No trouble at all. The side panels are separate from the awning. The awning has lopes sawn in and the panels have hooks that match up. So you can either hang the panels or leave them in the bag. It only takes a couple of minutes for two people to put it up, like any other rope awning. Oh and the two side panels zip together with a heavy duty plastic zipper.