Awning or add a room - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-22-2016, 11:44 PM   #1

Name: sherry
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Question Awning or add a room

Hi,
I looked into an add a room with my first scamp in 2003 but I can't remember the details. I need an add a room and awning for my (new to me) 13' Scamp and need cheaper suggestions. Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #2

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
What's nice about an awning is that it stores inside its own housing. Is permanently attached to the Scamp. Easy to deploy and put away.
There is an endless variety of stand alone tents, such as "EZ-Ups" with mesh and solid canvas sides. But, no doubt you are familiar with those.
Ya pays your money and takes your pick. Good Luck!

Old 04-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #3

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
I had a bag awning on my pop-up camper. I remember that there was an option for a screen room that attached to the awning but we didn't have that. I did a search for "bag awning add a room" and several options came up.

Then there's a friend of mine who figured out how to attach the bug screen from a patio canopy to his awning. A bit of ingenuity and careful yard sale shopping resulted in a very inexpensive solution.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #4

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We had add-a-rooms on a couple of "pop-up tent campers" when we lived and camped mostly in Michigan, and our family was young. They were a great and welcomed addition, but now that we live out west and vacation where winds come up unexpectedly, we don't even own an awning. If we were to desire more room, or a place other than the trailer to stay away from biting bugs, I believe we would purchase a clam, as they score very high praise for holding up to winds.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-25-2016, 01:17 AM   #5

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandsgirl View Post
Hi,
I looked into an add a room with my first scamp in 2003 but I can't remember the details. I need an add a room and awning for my (new to me) 13' Scamp and need cheaper suggestions. Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.
This awning and added room system should work for you.
Awnings, Tents, and Add-A-Rooms

Can you sew? If so you can make your own version of it Here is a tutorial.
I Found The Place (Formerly The Flirty Blog): How to sew a DIY trailer awning

For supplies:
you can get awning rails from most any RV supplier

For the awning "rope" don't do it the way it was done in the tutorial. Buy an easy to sew on product that is a perfect fit in the into the awning rail from Sailrite
Keder Awning Rope White 5/16"

As to creating a room that is also something that can be sewn. As it is basically straight panels of fabric with some screened openings it is not super difficult to make them. Putting in zipper(s) for a door would be the most difficult part of the job. The add-a-rooms don't always have a floor built into them but you might want to add one to yours, again it is just a rectangle so not difficult.

The fiberglass tent poles and aluminum upright poles are not difficult to find from various internet sources the sell replacement tent parts.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #6

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Awning or add a room

Scamp wanted about $900 for an awning for our new 2014 Scamp13. That would have only provided shelter from the sun/rain and, from past experience, I would never leave an awning up when there was an approaching wind/rain storm.

Instead, for about $330 on Amazon.com, we got a CLAM 1660 Mag screen tent and 6 "privacy panels". We later got a smaller CLAM Traveler for about $200 that has stood up to unexpected 67 mph winds. (I would now choose the brown/tan color option over the original green. Cooler in full sun.)

Both units have no loose poles, set up in about 1 minute, and provide shelter from sun, rain, and no-see-ums and/or mosquitos. There a number of previous FGRV threads regarding other folks past experience with the CLAM products. There are also YouTube videos.
http://youtu.be/6qHSO18qK18

Good luck with your search!

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Re: clam disadvantage

the issue I have with the Clam is you can't walk out the door of the rig right into the add a room. Also it is nice to have a dry entry to the rig when raining which it also does not provide. So that is something to be considered in choosing a awning and add-a-room system.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Get an awning, they're fun to watch blow away in the wind. For that matter so are nylon shelters of any kind.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Awning or add a room

K C is correct. You can't easily attach a CLAM to an FGRV and, even if you could, there is only one door and zipper. However, you can easily set it up awfully close to the door. We like to camp by water and woods, so we generally have more issues with bugs than we do with rain.

With the 6 privacy/wind panels, we have the option of turning the 6-sided CLAM into a tent-like privacy area for sleeping extra grandkids, or maybe an "outside the trailer" porta-potti spot, or ????

While I enjoyed Byron's humor, the 6-sided CLAM can be staked to the ground at each of the 6
bottom corners and (with ropes attached to the black mid-side pull-out tabs) also on the 5 sides.
Any wind that would rip out 11 stakes would probably also blow the trailer over. 😉
(The 4-sided CLAM Traveler has/had 7 possible ground stakes when the unexpected 67 mph
wind came through the Oshkosh campground at 4 AM.)

It all boils down to what you want/need and what you are willing to pay.

As always, YMMV. 😉

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
the issue I have with the Clam is you can't walk out the door of the rig right into the add a room. Also it is nice to have a dry entry to the rig when raining which it also does not provide. So that is something to be considered in choosing a awning and add-a-room system.
I have the Clam, the last time I set it up I placed it close to the door and on top of our ground mat. That made a very clean going in and out of the camper. It was not raining that day, so ever since I been thinking about how i can attach a canopy just over the door real close to the clam, still thinking. Carl
Old 04-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #11

Name: Echo
Trailer: SCAMP
Wisconsin
Where are you located? I am in South Central WI. I have an awning that I took off of my 2005 13ft Scamp that I do not use and would like to get rid of it. I was trying to $100.00 for it and you would have to pay for shipping.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #12

Nevada
Wow, thank you for your ideas and responses everyone!! I'm looking into each one to see what might work. I'm excited to be back in a scamp. We are ready to camp awning or not. ��
Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #13

Nevada
Awning

What is all your opinions on a Hasika awning? A friend sent it to me. It shows larger SUVs which makes me think it might work on my small Scamp. I'm not sure how to attach it he pic. It's on Amazon and on sale.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #14

Name: Echo
Trailer: SCAMP
Wisconsin
The awning is brown and white. It is off of my 2005 13ft Scamp, so it is 11 years old.

Tags
awning