awning retrofit Bigfoot 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot B17 1991
British Columbia
awning retrofit Bigfoot 17

So the one thing missing from our Bigfoot 17 was the awing. There was a strip with 2 dozen 1/2" screws that still had the rotten edge of the original canvas inside. It looks shabby so I removed it.
My brother gave me an old 10' awning in a box that he scrounged from a camper van. It cleaned up realgood. It uses a similar type aluminium strip that the box would slide into. But nothing available around here so I have a plan I hope will work.I thought I'd run it by you folks first as I'm famous for plans that only look good on paper.

The plan-
Fill the little holes with bondo, sand and paint. The Bigfoot was originally cream and past owner ( idiot) painted it white, You can see this in the photo. Someday I will re finish.
Then use 4 hardware store L brackets which I will bolt to the trailer and use a big washer inside. The holes will be just below the interior moulding. I don't think I would trust 4 or 8 screws to hold the awning box. Is this dumb? I mocked it up with screws and it holds the box perfectly in the correct place.

[/URL][/IMG]

[[/URL][/IMG]
SOCK MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I would use something stronger than regular Bondo. One of the fiberglass fillers would be better.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Why not look into replacing it by installing an aluminum keder welt "C" channel awning rail. You can hang a slide-in bag awning or a rope and pole awning setup from it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #4

British Columbia
Jackl- yes I will be using a fiberglass filler, sorry I'm still in the habit of calling anything like that Bondo.

I know about the C rail channel strips but can't find one around here. I'm reluctant to order something I'm not dead sure will work. There is a chance that the holes would not line up. The roof takes a bit of a bend at the front too so I was worried that a slide in channel would not work very well. The shipping to Canada is crazy.

I have the awning as per second photo. It's a standard issue Trans Awn 2000 and in good shape still. I will need the little brackets that hold the legs bt those are easy to find or order on line.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16, 1983
Maryland
My Scamp had a transawn 2000 as well, but the fabric is torn at the front outside corner. Does anyone know a source for a replacement fabric?
Thanks
Doug Griggs
83 Scamp
"Trash Panda"

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
dbdbgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #6

British Columbia
AT first we thought the canvas would not clean up so I looked on line and found quite a few sources of replacement awnings. Just Google it.
I have a PDF price list from a company called Cover Tech.
Couldn't post it here it exceeded the size limit
Old 07-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #7

British Columbia
Well all is going well. I filled all the old holes sanded and gave it quick spray of white paint.

I modified some 3x3 angle brackets by cutting off 1/2" so it would not stick out past the bottom of the box. I also drilled a 1/4" hole where it would line up with the middle of the bottom of the box.
I secured the brackets with 1- 1/2" # 8 screws which penetrated into the wood framing and mouldings inside so its real solid. I put some silicon on the screws.

I have then bolted the box through the bottom using 3/4' long 1/4" bolts.
Now all I need is the little lower brackets to hold the legs.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #8

British Columbia
Old 07-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

British Columbia
Old 07-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #10

Name: Ted
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Looks great! I may need to replace the awning on my 84 Bigfoot Gaucho as the retraction function isn't working so well. This is a good option.
tedladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #11

British Columbia
Well we camped out this weekend and the awning performed it's duty without much issue. It rained hard so we had to drop the front at night to keep it from pooling. We will need a small gutter because the rain ran down the trailer via the space and made everyoneds shoes wet.

Tags
awning, bigfoot