Awning Windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
Greetings,
Several years ago I asked this good forum about awning windows and received much appreciated input. In the years since I have not been able to devote much time to all the mods I have planned for the UHaul. This summer I have become inspired to resume the work. Let me briefly recap my situation.
After 15 years of camping in a pop-up my wife and I have come to appreciate the wonderful open feel of sleeping in a pop-up with screens on 3 sides of the bed. In comparison the UHaul windows are very small and slide open to expose only half of the window area with screen.

After much internet searching & inquiries to window manufacturers I have not found a full opening awning window. Hehr has a multi-panel awning (jealousy) but with the fixed side panels you end up with about 50% open area, just like my sliders.

A few days ago I was looking at my pickup truck cap and realized that the side windows are full opening awning windows. Could I use pickup truck cap windows in my UHaul? They have radius corners & full opening. They swing open greater than 90 degrees. (Some crank out awnings I have seen will only open a little ways, limiting the airflow.)

I would need to modify the latches to move the “T” handle from the outside to the inside, probably not too difficult. The gas lift spring struts could be replaced with an adjustable brace. The most difficult part might be in making a screen. I have not worked all the details but I imagine using some fiberglass screen with Velcro around the perimeter. Some sort of flexible seal would be needed where the gas spring or brace passed thru the screen. Or just remove the gas spring and use a stick to brace the window open outside of the screen.

This all leads to several questions…
Are any of you aware of a source of fully opening awning style windows?
Have any of you used pickup truck cap awning windows in your trailer? Any thoughts about this application?
How about a much more philosophical question. Why do I not see many awning style windows on RVs? Does the annoyance and pain of walking into them outweigh the benefits?

Your collective knowledge, experience and creativity is most appreciated.
Craig T.

Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
How about a much more philosophical question. Why do I not see many awning style windows on RVs? Does the annoyance and pain of walking into them outweigh the benefits?
I'd love to have Jalousie Windows! I think there's a mind set that the radius windows look more "modern." Whatever that means!? There's actually been people that have removed full jalousie windows, done fiberglass work just to install the radius windows. Different strokes for different folks I guess. That's what makes us and our trailers unique.

Have you tried Sunview Industries? They're the Canadian equivalent of Hehr.
Windows and window parts
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #3

I looked in the Sunview site but saw no awning or jalousie style windows. The suggestion was made to contact the manufacturers for custom windows of my design. I made a few such inquiries and did not get any response at all, not even a "no".

Hehr shows "Egress" window that swing up awning style for emergency exits. Could one of these be modified for every day opening?

Craig T.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
I know a lot of us here have replaced the original crank open, louvre style windows with "modern" sliding windows. (Not me, I LOVE being able to open my windows fully) Maybe someone still has theirs... And donesn't need them... And would like to get rid of them... Ahem... Anyone?
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #5

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:
I'd love to have Jalousie Windows! I think there's a mind set that the radius windows look more "modern." Whatever that means!? There's actually been people that have removed full jalousie windows, done fiberglass work just to install the radius windows. Different strokes for different folks I guess. That's what makes us and our trailers unique.
I'm with you on that Donna! I'd love to have jalousie windows also! Reminds me of when I was a kid way down in Miami. We could keep those windows open in the worst of storms!

Camilla
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

Jalousie Windows! I can see how they would be good during rain, etc. and seemly they might let more air into the trailer per window. Would that be the true, more air into the trailer? We do not have them, therefore, are they are as air tight/dust tight as the sliding type? We are impressed with how dust proof our Scamp has proven.

DesertHawk

Edit add: I would guess the reason you do not see them is expense. The hardware needed to crank them in and out would be more costly. The cranking gears would be something that could go wrong, wear out, etc. and need to be maintained.
However, our first RV, a camper shell on the back of a '71 1/2 ton Chevy had them. They worked well. No problems while we had it (4 years).
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #7

I am not a fan of jalousie windows because they don't seem to seal very well against dust. I have seen awning style windows without a crank mechanism, just push the window out and a folding strut holds the window open. That would suite me just fine. I would even be satisfied with propping the window open with a stick if I could get full ventilation!

Craig T.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Boler
We did radiused awning windows as an upgrade from the stock vintage Boler ones and paid a hefty chunk of change. I liked the look of the radiused corners because everything else about the trailer was rounded except the stock jalousies which needed total recontruction anyway. The downside to modernizing with radiused corners was the side panels eliminating vent area, but since we live in WA we needed awning windows for the rain. It was a trade off, but so far with the Fantastic fan above and new windows, we feel plenty well ventilated on the hottest days.

(Our windows are custom done by Hehr purchased through Buckaneer RV, cost almost $900 after crate and shipping. Also, if you do update yours, remember the door is much thicker than the trailer body so the trim ring will be thinner)
brady hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:50 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My pickup truck's canopy aka topper has the right-angle cornered crank out windows and it's only a couple of years old, so someone is still making them.

Even the sliders allow dust to enter, as I found on my trip to Alaska on the back dusty roads -- The brushes separating the windows are not air-tight, nor are the drip caps under the bottom track -- My sliders are on the back, and of course that's where the eddy currents keep air and dust circulating against the rear of the egg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RossRiver_YT__Small_.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	15604

Photo taken at Ross River, YT.

If one wants to make an egg dust free for the most part, then one should have an air vent somewhere that points forward -- This will put positive air pressure in the egg and prevent dust from coming in -- Perhaps a deck ventilation fitting from the marine world.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Craig

My Pickup shell has them annd they are called "Windoors".
In fact I did not have them at first and I wanted them so I drove to Patriot Indiana and had them swapped out.

Here is where it gets good......they have available now a sort of hybrib Windoor that is a flip up with a sliding window in it too.

I am not sure it will really do what you want either but it is interesting.

I would call Swiss Cap and speak with Roger.
He was very friendly and helpful and he lives this stuff.
He said he would be happy to do my switch-out and welcomed me there.

http://www.swisscaps.cc/

Good Luck
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows