Axle Angst - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: TRILLIUM
British Columbia
Registry
Axle Angst

Hello fellow Eggheads! I'm new to this world and I'm sure glad I found ths site!! I recently picked up a '74 Trillium 1300 and she rides pretty low behind my Wrangler. I suspect the torsion axle needs replacing. since I have to go through all that, does it make sense to just put in a leaf system to make it sit a little higher?
EGGPULLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Hi,

Welcome to the BC eggs group. There are lots of them around. If you're close to the Lower Mainland come to the BC Scrambled Egg Meet this weekend. You'll see lots of other eggs and can have a basis to compare yours.

As far as replacing the axle goes, unless you're trying to make a super off road trailer, just replacing with new is probably the way to go.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There are some advantages to the torsion axle. Most people just replace it. Maybe consider one with brakes.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
There are some advantages to the torsion axle. Most people just replace it. Maybe consider one with brakes.
Brakes? Really?? My 5500lb jeep doesn't seem to notice the trailer back there
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
+1 . Torsion axles are custom made and you just need to take your measurements to a dealer and order one.

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Canada
Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGGPULLER View Post
I suspect the torsion axle needs replacing. since I have to go through all that, does it make sense to just put in a leaf system to make it sit a little higher?
No. There are pros and cons to each design, but custom-fabricating a leaf-spring beam axle setup in replacement of the rubber-spring independent design just to raise the ride height does not make sense. A replacement "rubber torsion" axle can be configured for any height you want.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote:
If you drove the Jeep without the trailer, but also without any rear brakes, would the Jeep notice? It would stop fine under normal conditions, but would be inadequate when you really needed braking. It's a very similar situation towing a trailer without brakes.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Brakes are cheap, can stop sway and help you stop fast in an emergency. No way would I order a new axle and not get brakes. You will get your money back on resale.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Hi,

Welcome to the BC eggs group. There are lots of them around. If you're close to the Lower Mainland come to the BC Scrambled Egg Meet this weekend. You'll see lots of other eggs and can have a basis to compare yours.

As far as replacing the axle goes, unless you're trying to make a super off road trailer, just replacing with new is probably the way to go.
Ron where is this Egg Event?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
That's the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, which is the allowed weight of the vehicle with maximum passenger and cargo weight. Jeep says that even an automatic Wrangler Unlimited weighs 4100 pounds (plus options) - Wranglers have grown, but not to 5500 pounds! Also, since the max payload is listed as 1000 lb, it looks like it is impossible to safely load a Wrangler to GVWR anyway... my guess is that it is rear axle capacity limited.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Ron where is this Egg Event?
I assume this is
BC | BC Glass Eggs Meet, Mission, BC June 21-23 2013
Old 06-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, which is the allowed weight of the vehicle with maximum passenger and cargo weight. Jeep says that even an automatic Wrangler Unlimited weighs 4100 pounds (plus options) - Wranglers have grown, but not to 5500 pounds! Also, since the max payload is listed as 1000 lb, it looks like it is impossible to safely load a Wrangler to GVWR anyway... my guess is that it is rear axle capacity limited.
Actually my Jeep is the four-door Rubicon model which is substantially heavier (with the heavy duty axle too). With my steel bumper, winch,rack, and my 200lb self, we weigh in at just under 5500 on the scales. Jeep says can tow 3500 but i keep it below 2000.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For the bit more it costs to get brakes on a new axle... do it. You'll never regret it, but you may if you don't.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle