axle choice 13Ft Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
axle choice 13Ft Trillium

Well i went to day down to Specialty Tire and they offer custom made axles in the dexter style rubber torsion trailing axles.
Weights are 2000 lb and 3500 lb both have 5 bolt-4.5 BC with or without electric brakes.
Now I know that I would like electric brakes and the trailer will be down a few gravel roads for remote fishing spots.

What is the most common weight 2000 or 3500 and what 22.5 or 10 deg Down for better ride height.
I will be changing the rims from 13" to 14" with a load range C tire.

Input would be very welcome.
Craig Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Craig I would suggest you weigh your trailer if you havent already, as few are under 2000lbs loaded so your best bet would probable be the 3500lb axle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My 4500 came with a 2000 lb axle. I think it was stock. The coupler was rated at 2000 lb as well.

If you are going to upgrade the axle, I suggest that you think about the coupler also. Also, make sure that your frame has the plates welded on the sides of the frame, where it comes out from under the front of the fibreglass, as required by the recall. Just like the 4500's do.

I put a 3500 lb axle on my 4500. If I had to do it again, (and I do, since I have six Trilliums) I would have put a 2500 lb, or 2700 lb, axle on. I am not sure which axle manufacture(s) offer customized load capacity, but I know it is available. With the 3500 lb axle, the trailer bounces a lot when empty.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You can find real life weights here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Keep in mind the 2000 Lb axle comes with 7" brakes, the 3500 with 10" the former being narrower than the latter as well.

Most manufacturers offer customized weight capacity. All they do is insert rubber of different lengths during manufacturing. Custom build wait times are usually in the 2 week range.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #5

My frame is shot ...everything will be new , frame, coupler, chains, rims and tires. I thought that 3500 would be too heavy and would bounce the trailer to death when empty. I will see if they could lessen the rate at somewhere around 2700lbs
Old 12-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Broughton View Post
My frame is shot ...everything will be new , frame, coupler, chains, rims and tires. I thought that 3500 would be too heavy and would bounce the trailer to death when empty. I will see if they could lessen the rate at somewhere around 2700lbs
Craig you are exactly right, a 3500 lb axle on a 13' would be WAY too stiff. Dexter actually list their axles at a variety of capacities, I use a 2200 lb on mine and although it matches the loaded weight of my 13' Boler of 1880 total and axle weight of 1600 lbs, the ride is still extremely rough.
I could not imagine a 3500 lb ride.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post

I put a 3500 lb axle on my 4500. If I had to do it again, (and I do, since I have six Trilliums) I would have put a 2500 lb, or 2700 lb, axle on. I am not sure which axle manufacture(s) offer customized load capacity, but I know it is available. With the 3500 lb axle, the trailer bounces a lot when empty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Craig you are exactly right, a 3500 lb axle on a 13' would be WAY too stiff. Dexter actually list their axles at a variety of capacities, I use a 2200 lb on mine and although it matches the loaded weight of my 13' Boler of 1880 total and axle weight of 1600 lbs, the ride is still extremely rough.
I agree with both of these posts...and do note that in David Tilston's case he's talking about a Trillium 4500, which is around 500 pounds heavier (dry) than the 1300 under consideration here.

Dexter used to make a #8 axle- its smallest and I think what was originally on 1300's, but it looks like they've rolled all weights below 2200 pounds into the # 9 (link)

In my opinion, if committed to the Dexter brand the #9 would be the most suitable size for this trailer.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Place installing (or yourself) can establish the original axle down angle and trailer height. From that figure out how much lift an increase in down angle will provide.

Based on Scamp so YMMV the square shaft welded into the torsion arm was probably originally installed with shaft corners level. Like this <> when viewed with the wheel off. If you can jack the frame up until the arm has the center shaft in that position you can see the original arm down angle and trailer height.

Don't forget to account for any difference in height from a new type or style of mounting bracket (such as bolt on bracket) which may situate the axle higher or lower than the original. Or a taller or shorter mount on the axle itself. My original axle had the bracket on the axle just barely wrapping the tube, new axle the tube runs through the center of the bracket which puts it about an inch closer to the frame. That was intentional choice to hit same trailer height as original with the other modifications.

A little extra ground clearance is good, but not if you need a boost to climb in the door.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
I installed a Dexter #9 axle rated at 2200# with 7" electric brakes and E-Z Lube for the bearings on my Trillium 1300. I also got the brackets to weld to the the frame to allow the axle to be bolted on.

Bought it from Humphrey's : Humphrey’s Hitch & Trailer Parts | Trailer Axles, Parts & Accessories

Very reasonable prices and fast shipping. I am very pleased with the set-up.

Here are the specs from "back then" for your original axle set up on a Trillium 1300:

48" OS mounting bracket
65" track
0° starting angle
Trailing arm
2000 lb. capacity
Brake flanges
Tapered spindles
5 x 4.5 Wheel pattern

I went with the original 0° starting angle. You may want more of a down angle since it sounds like you may be driving on rougher terrain than I am.

"Flexiride" makes a torsion axle with the ability to adjust the angle on the arm to fit your needs. With the Dexter it is fixed. This feature does come with a premium price over the Dexter.

Hope this helps.

Spanke
Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
..."Flexiride" makes a torsion axle with the ability to adjust the angle on the arm to fit your needs. With the Dexter it is fixed. This feature does come with a premium price over the Dexter.
Spanke
One important thing to note is that the Dexter axle uses 6" arms from the axle tube to the spindle. Flexiride uses 4.5" arms. Unless you make modifications to the mounting points the shorter arm on the Flexiride will move the wheel location 1.5" from the original position. Forward if the axle is installed as a trailing arm and back towards the rear in most FGRV applications which use a leading arm configuration.

I actually used the 2200 lb Flexiride on my Boler but designed the entire Frame build around using that axle in a trailing arm configuration. But I also love the ability to change the ride height of my Boler when needed.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:

I actually used the 2200 lb Flexiride on my Boler but designed the entire Frame build around using that axle in a trailing arm configuration. But I also love the ability to change the ride height of my Boler when needed.
I'm a Flexiride fan, too, though my Trillium doesn't have one yet. I confined my earlier remarks to the Dexter since the O.P. seemed to indicate a preference.

That said, Ian's point above makes the Flexiride well worth considering, especially since the trailer under discussion here is getting a completely rebuilt frame as well as a new axle. Perfect opportunity to upgrade to a Flexiride, in my opinion.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Thanks Ian for the insight on the Flexiride arm length. I was unaware of the difference.

Since the back part of the frame on a Trillium is higher than the front, it would not be a problem to move the axle bracket back 1.5 inches to the rear of the trailer if you were installing it on an existing frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050015.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	67058

Spanke
Old 12-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #13

Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
Axle Choice - Flexiride Advantages

One advantage of the Flexiride axle is that you can replace the spindles if need be. Should you have a wheel bearing fail and have spindle damage, you could just replace the spindle rather than the whole axle. This scenario may not be as remote as it may seem at first glance.

Another potential advantage of the Flexiride is that they custom make each axle for each order. There is a possibility they could put a spindle for a 10" hub/brake on a 2200lb axle.You would have to ask the person who actually builds these axles . This would not be possible with theDexter or Al-ko axles unless you went with a 3500 lb axle which would come with 10" brakes because of the different spindle size required.

Of course, the Flexiride axles cost more, and when I priced them a year ago, it would be about $250 more for a 2200lb axle with 7" brakes.

So there are pros and cons to the choices.
georgewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewa View Post
One advantage of the Flexiride axle is that you can replace the spindles if need be. Should you have a wheel bearing fail and have spindle damage, you could just replace the spindle rather than the whole axle. This scenario may not be as remote as it may seem at first glance.

Another potential advantage of the Flexiride is that they custom make each axle for each order. There is a possibility they could put a spindle for a 10" hub/brake on a 2200lb axle.You would have to ask the person who actually builds these axles . This would not be possible with theDexter or Al-ko axles unless you went with a 3500 lb axle which would come with 10" brakes because of the different spindle size required.

Of course, the Flexiride axles cost more, and when I priced them a year ago, it would be about $250 more for a 2200lb axle with 7" brakes.

So there are pros and cons to the choices.
I like your thinking and it is true that you can replace the spindle but ... the 10" brakes will not fit on the 2000 lb spindle (the spindle length is too short, 5.38" vs 5.72") and the 3500 lb spindle will not fit on the 2000 lb spline (the 2000 lb axle spline is smaller diameter)

You are definitely correct that the Flexiride costs more $$$$.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
I like your thinking and it is true that you can replace the spindle but ... the 10" brakes will not fit on the 2000 lb spindle .
Can someone 'splain to this admittedly tech-deficient reader just why 10" brakes would be more suitable than 7" brakes on this 13 ft. Trillium?
Old 12-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Dexter will custom make a lower capacity axle using the 3500# hardware only with shorter rubber.
You could then get the tapered spindle and 10" brakes on a custom made (say2500#) axle with any start angle desired.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Can someone 'splain to this admittedly tech-deficient reader just why 10" brakes would be more suitable than 7" brakes on this 13 ft. Trillium?
10" brakes stop the trailer. 7" brakes slow the trailer and pretend to stop it.
7" brakes on a Scamp 13 give a nice comfy assist, but will not lock up when applied separately even at 10mph.
If I ever change my axle, it will get larger brakes.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
7" brakes on a Scamp 13 give a nice comfy assist, but will not lock up when applied separately even at 10mph.
Anybody know what size came stock on the first-gen Trillium 4500? I ask because mine have no problem locking up when called for-?
Old 12-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Quote:
Larger brakes are able to stop more weight. The basic principle of brakes is they convert motion energy (trailer wheel moving) into kinetic energy (or heat) (think back to high school physics and the laws of physics). Larger brakes have 2 factors that increase braking; 1) the larger brake drum and brake shoes result in a larger friction area or contact area between the inner surface of the drum and the friction lining on the brake shoe; and 2) the larger diameter drum is able to exert move leverage on the rotating wheel.

Quote:
Anybody know what size came stock on the first-gen Trillium 4500? I ask because mine have no problem locking up when called for-?
3500 lb axles usually come with 10" brakes
Old 12-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #20

I think that this is the route that I will take, I like the idea of 10" brakes, I am building this frame to take me to the dirt nap as they say and do not want to have to redo it again.

Quote:
Dexter will custom make a lower capacity axle using the 3500# hardware only with shorter rubber.
You could then get the tapered spindle and 10" brakes on a custom made (say2500#) axle with any start angle desired.

Tags
axle, trillium