Axle measurements for old Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My tag was in the center of the axle on the rear, with the gray water tank right behind.
My camera was able t get the picture even though I could not see it well myself.
The AL=KO axle center section is kinda triangular vs square like the dexter.
The guy I talked to was very nice and helpful.
It was a small square or rectangular tag about 3" X 4" mine was held on with a single rivet in the middle of the tag.
Since it had lived a hard life under the trailer it was hard to make out.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks everyone!

Redneck trailers is less than 50-miles down I-44 from me!

I once bought a 1978 fiberglass sailboat that still had the original sails and trailer. I sailed that boat for two years without having to buy new sails or a new trailer!

Ha! I'm begining to believe owning a 1978 Scamp is going to be a total different experance...cost wise! However, I'm sure I'll be pleased with the results.

If only I wasn't so darn cheap....er...frugal!

Bill

Old 03-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatr1 View Post
I just ordered a new axle for my 1976 13' Scamp. ......Separating the frame and shell is not as bad as it sounds, it took me about 4-6 hours to remove cabinets and attempt to remove the few screws still holding the shell to the frame, ended up pulling the screws through the plywood. It was then just a matter of lifting the shell enough to pull the frame ou
Hi Bob,

Did the floor remained attached to the frame, or to the shell, when you lifted your Scamp's shell, and removed the frame?

Previously I had assumed that the shell was bolted to the frame and the floor was attached to the shell. However, i can see how it would be easier, during construction, to attach the floor to the frame, and then attach the shell to the floor.

I just want to learn all I can about how my Scamp was constructed.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
The frame on mine was attached to the frame with screws through the plywood floor. Most of the screws were rusted in place, I had to pull screw heads through the plywood floor. It was surprisingly easy and a bit scary that these few screws held the frame and shell together. I ground the old screws level with the frame and will bolt the shell to the frame by attaching angle iron to the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 AM   #19

Registry
Bill,

The floor is fiberglassed to the shell and the floor is screwed to the frame, no bolts.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:35 AM   #20

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Bill,

The floor is fiberglassed to the shell and the floor is screwed to the frame, no bolts.

Thanks Bob, now i understand the construction.

I wish that I had the skills, and was brave enough to attempt the actions you are taking! However, I have a history of loosing interest in projects, so I know it's best to only attempt very small projects!

Bill
Old 03-16-2015, 12:57 AM   #21

Registry
At 64 I almost always leave projects unfinished, maybe it is with the hope that someday I will be around to finish the project. I have my wonderful wife to support and encourage me and some great friends with amazing skills and creativity to help. I have always loved learning new skills and gaining knowledge. Maybe in my next life something I learn or experience in this life will be useful, if not for myself, for someone else. Never stop living life.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Bill, if you're getting a new axle.. get brakes! Truly, it will save wear and tear on your tug.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #23

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bill, if you're getting a new axle.. get brakes! Truly, it will save wear and tear on your tug.

Best of luck!
Hi Donna D,

There is little doubt that brakes also are very nice when going down a mountain grade, or having to make a sudden stop!

I'll get brakes if...and that's a big IF...there is enough money in my piggy-bank to do so!

I did tell you how cheap I was...didn't I?

Best wishes,

Bill
Old 03-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #24

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Never stop living life.

That is a wonder way to enjoy one's time on this earth!

A friend told me the other day that he remained an optimist in spite of the troubles he was having. That when he saw a glass half-full, he just got a smaller
glass!

Best wishes,

Bill
Old 03-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I would use a shop because it normally involves a little bit of custom finagling (technical term for I think this will work) to fit a new axle reversed into where the old axle was OR to mount it in another location to use a more common trailing arm configuration. Both depend on the skill of the measure and the install.

A 13 ft. does not require brakes but they are something that really has to be ordered as part of the axle. I think they are safer and since these small campers can be towed by smaller vehicles a good investment. I have generally found stopping a trailer with a small vehicle a little more of a challenge and taking more distance.

That said brakes and brake parts (and rims) for the stock 4 bolt on 4 inch bolt pattern are not common. Changing hubs on new axle to 5 bolt on 4.5 inch offers a lot more parts and choices. You do have to replace your existing rims as part of the axle replacement which adds to the cost but you may well need new rims anyway. Also you will need to do a small modification to mount a spare on the rear, existing bolts for stock wheel won't line up. Not a big deal, maybe $50 at a welding shop to have them build an adapter that frankly will be better than stock if they add a support going down to the rear bumper.

You asked price, hard to say. Price for welding and trailer work varies a lot by region. The axles you can get a price from Dexter directly to know about how much markup the shop is charging for measuring and ordering the axle.

Check around for places that build or repair trailers, Horse, or utility trailers, any boat or motorcycle/snowmobile shops in the area might have some suggestions. Or redneck trailers as suggested are nation wide outfit. If you can't find a local with a solid reputation as "the guy" for that type of work then a national chain is a good choice.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #26

Oklahoma
Registry
RogerDat, thank you again for the information!

I have made a copy of all the messages posted here, and will be studying them in the coming days.

My knee is much better today, so I'm hoping that I can sometime during this week, actually get off my rear, and start checking out the axle, and other items of interest!

My sincere thanks to each of you wonderful people, who took the time to respond to my questions.

Life is good...

Bill Nolen
Old 03-17-2015, 01:31 AM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Hi Donna D,

There is little doubt that brakes also are very nice when going down a mountain grade, or having to make a sudden stop!

I'll get brakes if...and that's a big IF...there is enough money in my piggy-bank to do so!

I did tell you how cheap I was...didn't I?

Best wishes,

Bill
Bill, not sure if you have much towing experience or not, I'm just short of fifty years towing. Towing a fairly light utility trailer or a boat without brakes is one thing as the distance traveled is short compared to a travel trailer on vacation, possibly 1000's. From your posts it seems you are in the market for a new axle and are, as you say...frugal. If you don't think there is enough money in your piggybank at this time for brakes I would STRONGLY suggest at very least you get an axle with the backing mounts for brakes on it. Brakes can be added pretty easy then when the bank is better .
BTW, you mention down hill grades and a sudden stop. That's not the only time you may wish you had brakes. A sudden gust of cross wind or a semi truck passing and starting a bit of sway going for you. A slight touch on the controller and it's straightened out.
Had to chuckle from your sailboat story as I did the same with two sailboats but comparing a small boat to an RV is apples and oranges as they just don't get used the same.
Anyway, just my two cents worth.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #28

Oklahoma
Registry
Dave, thank you very much for you comments. Compared to your experance towing trailers, I'm just a novice!

I have owned several travel trailers, but the two used the most, were 5th-wheel trailers, which in my option, are much easier to tow than a bumper pull trailer. Plus the fact the distance these trailer were towed was small....just to the lake and back.

That is very good advice about having the brake bracket attached to a new axle, should I need one.

I should know for sure later on in the week, whether or not I need a new axle.

Bill

Tags
axle, scamp