Axle measurements for old Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
At 64 I almost always leave projects unfinished, maybe it is with the hope that someday I will be around to finish the project. I have my wonderful wife to support and encourage me and some great friends with amazing skills and creativity to help. I have always loved learning new skills and gaining knowledge. Maybe in my next life something I learn or experience in this life will be useful, if not for myself, for someone else. Never stop living life.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:11 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bill, if you're getting a new axle.. get brakes! Truly, it will save wear and tear on your tug.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bill, if you're getting a new axle.. get brakes! Truly, it will save wear and tear on your tug.

Best of luck!
Hi Donna D,

There is little doubt that brakes also are very nice when going down a mountain grade, or having to make a sudden stop!

I'll get brakes if...and that's a big IF...there is enough money in my piggy-bank to do so!

I did tell you how cheap I was...didn't I?

Best wishes,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #24

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatr1 View Post
Never stop living life.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
That is a wonder way to enjoy one's time on this earth!

A friend told me the other day that he remained an optimist in spite of the troubles he was having. That when he saw a glass half-full, he just got a smaller
glass!

Best wishes,

Bill
Old 03-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would use a shop because it normally involves a little bit of custom finagling (technical term for I think this will work) to fit a new axle reversed into where the old axle was OR to mount it in another location to use a more common trailing arm configuration. Both depend on the skill of the measure and the install.

A 13 ft. does not require brakes but they are something that really has to be ordered as part of the axle. I think they are safer and since these small campers can be towed by smaller vehicles a good investment. I have generally found stopping a trailer with a small vehicle a little more of a challenge and taking more distance.

That said brakes and brake parts (and rims) for the stock 4 bolt on 4 inch bolt pattern are not common. Changing hubs on new axle to 5 bolt on 4.5 inch offers a lot more parts and choices. You do have to replace your existing rims as part of the axle replacement which adds to the cost but you may well need new rims anyway. Also you will need to do a small modification to mount a spare on the rear, existing bolts for stock wheel won't line up. Not a big deal, maybe $50 at a welding shop to have them build an adapter that frankly will be better than stock if they add a support going down to the rear bumper.

You asked price, hard to say. Price for welding and trailer work varies a lot by region. The axles you can get a price from Dexter directly to know about how much markup the shop is charging for measuring and ordering the axle.

Check around for places that build or repair trailers, Horse, or utility trailers, any boat or motorcycle/snowmobile shops in the area might have some suggestions. Or redneck trailers as suggested are nation wide outfit. If you can't find a local with a solid reputation as "the guy" for that type of work then a national chain is a good choice.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #26

Oklahoma
Registry
RogerDat, thank you again for the information!

I have made a copy of all the messages posted here, and will be studying them in the coming days.

My knee is much better today, so I'm hoping that I can sometime during this week, actually get off my rear, and start checking out the axle, and other items of interest!

My sincere thanks to each of you wonderful people, who took the time to respond to my questions.

Life is good...

Bill Nolen
Old 03-17-2015, 12:31 AM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Hi Donna D,

There is little doubt that brakes also are very nice when going down a mountain grade, or having to make a sudden stop!

I'll get brakes if...and that's a big IF...there is enough money in my piggy-bank to do so!

I did tell you how cheap I was...didn't I?

Best wishes,

Bill
Bill, not sure if you have much towing experience or not, I'm just short of fifty years towing. Towing a fairly light utility trailer or a boat without brakes is one thing as the distance traveled is short compared to a travel trailer on vacation, possibly 1000's. From your posts it seems you are in the market for a new axle and are, as you say...frugal. If you don't think there is enough money in your piggybank at this time for brakes I would STRONGLY suggest at very least you get an axle with the backing mounts for brakes on it. Brakes can be added pretty easy then when the bank is better .
BTW, you mention down hill grades and a sudden stop. That's not the only time you may wish you had brakes. A sudden gust of cross wind or a semi truck passing and starting a bit of sway going for you. A slight touch on the controller and it's straightened out.
Had to chuckle from your sailboat story as I did the same with two sailboats but comparing a small boat to an RV is apples and oranges as they just don't get used the same.
Anyway, just my two cents worth.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #28

Oklahoma
Registry
Dave, thank you very much for you comments. Compared to your experance towing trailers, I'm just a novice!

I have owned several travel trailers, but the two used the most, were 5th-wheel trailers, which in my option, are much easier to tow than a bumper pull trailer. Plus the fact the distance these trailer were towed was small....just to the lake and back.

That is very good advice about having the brake bracket attached to a new axle, should I need one.

I should know for sure later on in the week, whether or not I need a new axle.

Bill
Old 03-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatr1 View Post
The axle that you are looking at does not include hubs or brakes or brake flanges.
Good point!

If your going to go to the trouble of replacing an axle you should get new hubs as well - especially since we are talking about at 30+ year old trailer so the hubs are due for a replacement also.

Also most newer vehicles require brakes on the trailer over x so many pounds (some as low as 1000lbs) so for resale having the brake flange on the axle to allow brakes to be added to the trailer is a good selling point even if you currently do not need to put brakes on it for your own tow vehicle. Although having brakes on the trailer is never a bad thing regardless of what you are pulling with or the size of the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #30

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Buying the brakes with the axle is usually more cost effective, but you have to spend more all at once.
I bought my new one (not yet delivered) with self adjusting electric brakes.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #31

Michigan
The one that gets me is running on divided but not limited access highways. That is what makes the cost of brakes and a progressive controller worth it.

Sometimes the traffic lights are not timed well for my rate of travel and I find myself looking at a yellow light right on the edge of enough room to stop. Or I hit the gas and end up going through and "orange" light. because I don't accelerate fast enough towing a trailer to make it through the yellow clean.

I would rather stop quickly than try to beat the light.

After you have brakes on the trailer to use those brakes requires a brake controller in the vehicle. Installation is sometimes just plug them in. Sometimes requires running some wires and hooking a plug up for the controller to plug into.

Nothing wrong with doing that brake and axle stuff in stages to spread the expense out.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Nothing wrong with doing that brake and axle stuff in stages to spread the expense out.
Nope not at all, but if you buy an axle that does not have the flange on it to allow you to add the brakes, there will be no option to add them in the future.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #33

Oklahoma
Registry
Well, there is no doubt that I will need a new axle! Every test came up negative. BAH!

Tomorrow. I will be getting a price for a turn-key job, from a national horse trailer manufacture, where a friend works. May get a good deal...may not.

If you don't hear from me in the future...you will know that I died from price-shock!

Bill
Old 03-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #34

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Nope not at all, but if you buy an axle that does not have the flange on it to allow you to add the brakes, there will be on option to add them in the future.
Yes important to make that initial investment to preserve your options.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #35

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I look at brakes on the trailer as being a maintenance issue for the tug. Have you replaced tug brakes? Towing a trailer, without brakes, that could weigh close to a TON is going to make those tug brakes work harder. I would much prefer to replace shoe brakes (trailer) than tug brakes. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #36

Registry
Yup paying $400 a pair to replace pads on the tug every couple of years because you don't have brakes on the trailer makes a trailer axle with brakes at $600 a real good deal.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 PM   #37

Oklahoma
Registry
Not that I don't agree about the desirability of brakes on travel trailers, however I did note that on new Scamp 13's trailers, brakes are not standard, and must be purchased as an option.

I'm sure that if Scamp thought that not making brakes standard on the scamp 13 would open them up to lawsuits...for selling a dangerous product, most likely brakes would be a standard item on the Scamp 13's.

Perhaps Scamp has conducted studies about the safety factors with Scamp 13 trailers with and with-out brakes? Be interesting to know.

Bill
Old 03-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post

Perhaps Scamp has conducted studies about the safety factors with Scamp 13 trailers with and with-out brakes? Be interesting to know.

Bill
Or they have conducted consumer studies that give them a pretty good idea as to what the advertised base price of their trailers need to be in order to get people in the door to seriously consider their trailers..... there are MANY items that are optional on Scamps that are actually stock items included in the base price of some of the other fiberglass trailer manufactures.

Apparently some other manufactures feel there are items (such a brakes) we all need to have a comfortable and safe towing/camping experiences that are to important o leave as an optional item.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #39

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Or they have conducted consumer studies that give them a pretty good idea as to what the advertised base price of their trailers need to be in order to get people in the door to seriously consider their trailers..... there are MANY items that are optional on Scamps that are actually stock items included in the base price of some of the other fiberglass trailer manufactures.

Apparently some other manufactures feel there are items (such a brakes) we all need to have a comfortable and safe towing/camping experiences that are to important o leave as an optional item.
Carol, you most likely are correct about both points!

Prior to now, I had never owned a travel trailer as small as the 13-foot Scamp, the smallest being 17-feet long. The largest I've owned was a 29-foot 5th wheel. All have had electrical brakes.

However, I have never owned a boat trailer with brakes! And my last pontoon boat would have weighed much more than a Scamp 13!

A person does have to be aware of the object being towed and drive VERY CAREFULLY.

Oh! I just remembered I once owned a 4-foot long "Time-Out" motorcycle trailer ( somewhat like a small pop-up) that folded out to be a 4-foot by 7-foot sleeping platform. It had surge controled electrical brakes! That trailer would make a Scamp 13 look huge!

If I can get the brake brackets installed when I order my new axle, I plan to do so.

At this moment I'm doing good to affort the new axle, there is no way I could also buy brakes.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Bill
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I fully agree with getting brakes when replacing an axle.
IMPORTANT: The brakes on a new axle will probably be installed on the axle for it to be mounted in the normal "Trailing axle" configuration. The entire brake assembly (backing plates and all) will need to be removed and swapped side to side to work on a leading axle configuration. The brakes are designed to work with the rotation of the tires going forward.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp