Axle measurements for old Scamp? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #29

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatr1 View Post
The axle that you are looking at does not include hubs or brakes or brake flanges.
Good point!

If your going to go to the trouble of replacing an axle you should get new hubs as well - especially since we are talking about at 30+ year old trailer so the hubs are due for a replacement also.

Also most newer vehicles require brakes on the trailer over x so many pounds (some as low as 1000lbs) so for resale having the brake flange on the axle to allow brakes to be added to the trailer is a good selling point even if you currently do not need to put brakes on it for your own tow vehicle. Although having brakes on the trailer is never a bad thing regardless of what you are pulling with or the size of the trailer.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #30

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Buying the brakes with the axle is usually more cost effective, but you have to spend more all at once.
I bought my new one (not yet delivered) with self adjusting electric brakes.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #31

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
The one that gets me is running on divided but not limited access highways. That is what makes the cost of brakes and a progressive controller worth it.

Sometimes the traffic lights are not timed well for my rate of travel and I find myself looking at a yellow light right on the edge of enough room to stop. Or I hit the gas and end up going through and "orange" light. because I don't accelerate fast enough towing a trailer to make it through the yellow clean.

I would rather stop quickly than try to beat the light.

After you have brakes on the trailer to use those brakes requires a brake controller in the vehicle. Installation is sometimes just plug them in. Sometimes requires running some wires and hooking a plug up for the controller to plug into.

Nothing wrong with doing that brake and axle stuff in stages to spread the expense out.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #32

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Nothing wrong with doing that brake and axle stuff in stages to spread the expense out.
Nope not at all, but if you buy an axle that does not have the flange on it to allow you to add the brakes, there will be no option to add them in the future.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #33

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Well, there is no doubt that I will need a new axle! Every test came up negative. BAH!

Tomorrow. I will be getting a price for a turn-key job, from a national horse trailer manufacture, where a friend works. May get a good deal...may not.

If you don't hear from me in the future...you will know that I died from price-shock!

Bill
Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #34

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Nope not at all, but if you buy an axle that does not have the flange on it to allow you to add the brakes, there will be on option to add them in the future.
Yes important to make that initial investment to preserve your options.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I look at brakes on the trailer as being a maintenance issue for the tug. Have you replaced tug brakes? Towing a trailer, without brakes, that could weigh close to a TON is going to make those tug brakes work harder. I would much prefer to replace shoe brakes (trailer) than tug brakes. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #36

British Columbia
Registry
Yup paying $400 a pair to replace pads on the tug every couple of years because you don't have brakes on the trailer makes a trailer axle with brakes at $600 a real good deal.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:48 AM   #37

Oklahoma
Registry
Not that I don't agree about the desirability of brakes on travel trailers, however I did note that on new Scamp 13's trailers, brakes are not standard, and must be purchased as an option.

I'm sure that if Scamp thought that not making brakes standard on the scamp 13 would open them up to lawsuits...for selling a dangerous product, most likely brakes would be a standard item on the Scamp 13's.

Perhaps Scamp has conducted studies about the safety factors with Scamp 13 trailers with and with-out brakes? Be interesting to know.

Bill
Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #38

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post

Perhaps Scamp has conducted studies about the safety factors with Scamp 13 trailers with and with-out brakes? Be interesting to know.

Bill
Or they have conducted consumer studies that give them a pretty good idea as to what the advertised base price of their trailers need to be in order to get people in the door to seriously consider their trailers..... there are MANY items that are optional on Scamps that are actually stock items included in the base price of some of the other fiberglass trailer manufactures.

Apparently some other manufactures feel there are items (such a brakes) we all need to have a comfortable and safe towing/camping experiences that are to important o leave as an optional item.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #39

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Or they have conducted consumer studies that give them a pretty good idea as to what the advertised base price of their trailers need to be in order to get people in the door to seriously consider their trailers..... there are MANY items that are optional on Scamps that are actually stock items included in the base price of some of the other fiberglass trailer manufactures.

Apparently some other manufactures feel there are items (such a brakes) we all need to have a comfortable and safe towing/camping experiences that are to important o leave as an optional item.
Carol, you most likely are correct about both points!

Prior to now, I had never owned a travel trailer as small as the 13-foot Scamp, the smallest being 17-feet long. The largest I've owned was a 29-foot 5th wheel. All have had electrical brakes.

However, I have never owned a boat trailer with brakes! And my last pontoon boat would have weighed much more than a Scamp 13!

A person does have to be aware of the object being towed and drive VERY CAREFULLY.

Oh! I just remembered I once owned a 4-foot long "Time-Out" motorcycle trailer ( somewhat like a small pop-up) that folded out to be a 4-foot by 7-foot sleeping platform. It had surge controled electrical brakes! That trailer would make a Scamp 13 look huge!

If I can get the brake brackets installed when I order my new axle, I plan to do so.

At this moment I'm doing good to affort the new axle, there is no way I could also buy brakes.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Bill
Old 03-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bill, if you're getting a new axle.. get brakes! Truly, it will save wear and tear on your tug.
I fully agree with getting brakes when replacing an axle.
IMPORTANT: The brakes on a new axle will probably be installed on the axle for it to be mounted in the normal "Trailing axle" configuration. The entire brake assembly (backing plates and all) will need to be removed and swapped side to side to work on a leading axle configuration. The brakes are designed to work with the rotation of the tires going forward.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #41

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
If I can get the brake brackets installed when I order my new axle, I plan to do so.

Bill
Bill, keep in mind that the flange need to install the brakes will need to be on the axle as it comes from the axle manufacturer. The brake mounting flange is not something one can add onto an axle that did not come with one originaly.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:55 AM   #42

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Bill, keep in mind that the flange need to install the brakes will need to be on the axle as it comes from the axle manufacturer. The brake mounting flange is not something one can add onto an axle that did not come with one originaly.
I have been delaying ordering a new axle until I could get a reply from Scamp confirming the axle measurements for a 1978 Scamp 13. Today I was able to talk to a very helpful man in the Scamp's tool department.

The measurements he gave me were...Hub Face to Hub Face...63-inches
Frame to Frame...49 3/4-inches (outside of frame)
45 3/4-inches (inside of frame)

Tomorrow, if it's not raining, I will check the outside of frame measurement to be sure!

I may delay ordering an axle until I'm able to clean the trailer, and check out everything. I'm hopeing that will be very soon. When I place the axle order, I'll also find out how much more an axle will cost with brake flanges.

Whether or not I get brake flanges will depend on how much more they cost. My "toy" funds are very limited.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments.

Bill

Tags
axle, scamp