axle relacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Name: Wade
Trailer: Hunter compact jr
Alabama
Registry
axle replacement

The axle on my 72 compact jr is pretty much toast. Springs have sagged and are EXTREMELY soft. Drop axle has been flipped and it appears spring shackle on one end raised with a piece of steel tubing? Really strange set up.
So.....instead of guessing, does anyone have any suggestions on a nice replacement set up? Did you go back with a straight or drop? 2,000 lb axle? Larger tires and wheels?
Again, just a lot of questions to be answered. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Wade
Wade the K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
On a spring axle, the steel springs are replaceable separately from the axle itself. My question is, do you see something wrong with the axle itself? If not, just have the springs, shackles, and whatnot replaced.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You said the axle is "toast" so could you tell us why ? Photos would be very helpful. Are you happy with the current height of the trailer. Usually when an axle is flipped, or underslung, someone wanted to raise the trailer frame and body to accommodate larger wheels but did not want to buy a new straight axle so they underslung the drop axle.

It sounds from the description you do need new springs and shackles. You could start with new springs. Maybe you could try the drop axle with new springs, then decide.

Hopefully, some other Compact Jr. owners will chime in and tell you how their trailers are set up.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
You may want to have the axle assessed by a professional. If the axle was flipped to give more height, that spacer you mentioned may have been an attempt to correct the negative camper that came as a result of flipping an axle that was fine. You can't just flip an axle willy-nilly. If the axle is not bent, the positive camber built in at the factory becomes negative camber, resulting in abnormal tire wear.

If the axle is actually OK, you can have it flipped back over and replace the leaf springs. Then, if you want, you can have the axle mounted to give more lift.

The trailer shop I used to work with flipped straight axles that had been bent from time to time, but it was usually on light utility and boat trailers that weren't used for long hauls. The problem with doing this is that axles don't necessarily bent just right and you can be changing one problem for another. Also, some shops are set up the bend axles, like they used to do on the old I-beam front ends back before independent front suspensions.

If it was my trailer and the shop you go to says the axle is indeed bad, you can likely save money by just buying a new axle outright, rather than incurring all the labor involved.

Larger tires and wheels are OK if you have the room for them under the fenders.

Don't let them talk you into a heavier axle. Go with one rated for your trailer(2000 lb?). Otherwise that baby is going to be all over the road and you are going to have to put everything back on the shelves at your destination. There have been several mentions of this in a couple of threads lately.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
My compact has a straight axle on stock springs. It's a replacement but I wouldn't drop it. I'll try to post a pic of how it sits.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #6

Registry
One more
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

Alabama
Registry
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks everyone for your input. I have attached a picture showing the set up as it is now. I apologize in advance for the darkness.
Is this a standard Hunter set up? Looks extremely odd to me.
Thanks,
Wade
Attached Thumbnails
2016-07-21 17.26.21.jpg  
Old 08-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #8

Washington
That is a drop axle that has been underslung or mounted under the springs. Probably not stock. If you changed to a straight axle and mounted it above the springs, you would have about the same frame and body height and you would get an additional 3 or 4 inches of ground clearance because the axle tube would be raised further from the ground. New springs would also raise the trailer some more.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

Alabama
Registry
Jack if you look closely you will see where the spring shackle has been welded to a 2x2x6" steel tube, and then welded to the trailer frame. Do you think this was standard on the Hunter and should I go back this way or remove it when I replace the springs and axle?
Old 08-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #10

Registry
Messaged you Wade.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade the K View Post
Jack if you look closely you will see where the spring shackle has been welded to a 2x2x6" steel tube, and then welded to the trailer frame. Do you think this was standard on the Hunter and should I go back this way or remove it when I replace the springs and axle?
Wade, I really do not know if the square tube is standard or not. Hopefully someone with a similar trailer will answer this. With a trailer this ae, anything is possible.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #12

Alabama
Registry
thanks Jack. From what I have gathered, no it was not standard and was added by a previous owner at some point. I feel like this may be contributing to some of my pulling issues.
Thanks,
Wade

Tags
axle