There are several reasons that we are toying with changing the axle
and wheel size.
1. Better ground clearance which gives the ability to drop the center floor for more interior height. This would also give possible room for a black water tank and plumbing. (we plan to remove the kitchen and replace with a wet bath.)
2. Leafsprings reportedly give a smoother ride with less bounce.
3. Larger wheels and tires
provide better handling and safer in the event of a flat.
4. Larger wheel/tire would match the tow vehicle, ie the spare for one could be the spare for the other.
5. A wider axle would bring the fenders exterior and allow for more interior space. (we are terribly concerned with keeping it with the original look)
6. A longer wheel base on the trailer would provide better tracking and easier backing of the trailer.
7. We plan to add surge brakes
, which requires changing the wheel/axle hardware.
8. The existing suspension appears to be at the end of its useful life
These are our reasons for wanting to do this, however our plans are not written in stone. We are working on taking it off the frame currently. Once we have it off the frame we will see better what we are working with. We are asking the questions since many of you have already done many of the modifications we are looking for and we would like reasons for and against our ideas. Any and all help is appreciated.