Back up camera - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #21

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Using my Smartphone as a display (actually an excellent display), a free app and a wireless camera ($25-40, mine was $40) works well.
That looks like what I'd like to do. Please, what app (Android or IOS?) and what hardware??
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Smartphone/Wireless Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
That looks like what I'd like to do. Please, what app (Android or IOS?) and what hardware??
I believe the App exists for both software platforms. I use it on my Samsung 4. Of course this implies you could use a pad as a display as well as your phone. We didn't try the Pad. Wifi Avin is the software, should see a link to it in the attached manual.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

I coppied the following from the reviews.
When powered on you'll search for wifi signal from WIFI_AVIN. Password is "12345678"
Here is a manual for the unit: http://www.himodel.com/manual/WIFI%2...r%20manual.pdf

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Best check the laws where you plan to use the app regarding the use of hand-held devices while driving. In BC, and increasingly in more provinces and states, you'll get a hefty fine.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #24

Florida
Kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Best check the laws where you plan to use the app regarding the use of hand-held devices while driving. In BC, and increasingly in more provinces and states, you'll get a hefty fine.
Glenn.

Just because a phone can be held in your hand, does not mean that it's a requirement for use.

It's obvious that one can use a Smartphone for a GPS, it doesn't mean you have to hold your phone in your hand. When I use my phone as a monitor for my wireless camera, to receive calls while I drive, it sits in a dash mounted phone holder.

All of this is perfectly legal in all states and provinces as far as I know.

Smartphones are tremendously powerful devices. Owning one is a delight though I am a novice user compared to our children.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #25

I believe I said - best be knowledgeable of the laws.
My TomTom is attached to windshield with a suction cup. I don't change route, or alter volume while driving.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You ever play the radio or set a cruise control? Temp controls? Sip a coke (pop)?

Why do we have to get so nit-picky on this forum??

Quote:
My TomTom is attached to windshield with a suction cup. I don't change route, or alter volume while driving.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #27

Colorado
Thank you, Norm or Ginny or both. I have some reading to do.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Glenn.

Just because a phone can be held in your hand, does not mean that it's a requirement for use.

It's obvious that one can use a Smartphone for a GPS, it doesn't mean you have to hold your phone in your hand. When I use my phone as a monitor for my wireless camera, to receive calls while I drive, it sits in a dash mounted phone holder.

All of this is perfectly legal in all states and provinces as far as I know.

Not so obvious in BC Norm! In BC the law is such you can not even look at a mobile phone while driving!! And yes they are enforcing it!

The law in BC is:

"A driver must not hold, operate, communicate or watch the screen of a hand-held electronic communication device"

And yes they are enforcing that law like crazy right now!!! Its become a bit of a mission for the police to see just how many tickets they can write up for it in a month! LOL

A government of BC bulletin giving all you need to know to avoid a ticket can be found at Road Safe BC - Electronic Devices.

My doctor wishes she had read the whole law before she got a ticket for $167 (and 3 points against her drivers lessons which means she will pay more for her insurance next year should she get one more point) while sitting at a stop light for picking up her cellphone to look at the time and putting it down again. Kicking herself as she does have a clock on the dash of her car.

PS another part of the same Distracted Driver law forbids drinking or eating anything while driving as well as a no dog on your lap rule as well. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've only got one word for this... WOW!

[QUOTE=Carol H;554753] Not so obvious in BC Norm! In BC the law is such can not even look at a mobile phone while driving!! And yes they are enforcing it!

The law in BC is:

"A driver must not hold, operate, communicate or watch the screen of a hand-held electronic communication device"
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Darral T.;554756]I've only got one word for this... WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Not so obvious in BC Norm! In BC the law is such can not even look at a mobile phone while driving!! And yes they are enforcing it!

The law in BC is:

apparently over 55,000 folks here in BC said the same thing while being handed a ticket for it last year!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Why do we have to get so nit-picky on this forum??

You'd rather not know?
Old 10-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #32

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I originally bought my backup camera because my van (the tank) is huge and it really helps in all ways, not just Scamp hitch up related.

I do like it now for hooking up and although I'm not a toy person this is one I'm glad to have with my wheelchair van. Whatever makes you happy right? It was money I was happy to spend. In the past, I've also been pretty good at eyeballing it and haven't lost that skill either, just because I now have a camera. I haven't become lazy, just makes things a bit easier.

Oh well. "We love the things we love for what they are."

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #33

Florida
Can you look at GPS?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm glad to know, but…

The whole thing sounds to me like a typical knee-jerk legislative response to rapidly changing vehicular technology. Like a lot of legislation it ends up being a day late and a dollar short. How many different electronic displays does a new vehicle have now from the manufacturer? A configurable electronic dashboard, a touch screen interface that controls user settings for climate control, media, navigation, even engine and transmission settings, a rear view camera screen,… Then there are the various electronic devices the user adds to the mix: GPS, smart phone, brake controller, rear view trailer camera,… And we think if we just legislate the phone…

We rented a new Chrysler earlier this year. Merely changing the fan speed on the climate control required me to take my eyes off the road long enough to tap the screen several times in different spots. It's a good thing my wife was along… "Honey, could you make it a little colder on my side, please?"

Maybe we need to mandate a copilot in every vehicle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #35

Colorado
My first reaction was also to pose questions: what if this, what if that, pointing out the foolishness. It took a while as I haven't worked for a while but I remembered that things like this are written by committee, the bane of corporations and government.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
My first reaction was also to pose questions: what if this, what if that, pointing out the foolishness.
Yup. Seat belts are stupid too, and air bags, and crush zones, and
Old 10-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #37

Colorado
Quote:
Yup. Seat belts are stupid too, and air bags, and crush zones, and
Come on now. That is a little over the top. To make an example I'd rather have a GPS on my dashboard and not have to look down at a built-in GPS.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #38

Nobody said that you can't have a GPS on your dashboard ( that's where mine is ). You just aren't supposed to program a route while driving.
Numerous studies have found that texting and talking on a cell phone is as dangerous as driving drunk.
That is the basis for the law.
I'm sure you can find examples for almost any law that would seem a ridiculous application of that law.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #39

Colorado
Quote:
Nobody said that you can't have a GPS on your dashboard ( that's where mine is ). You just aren't supposed to program a route while driving.
Numerous studies have found that texting and talking on a cell phone is as dangerous as driving drunk.
That is the basis for the law.
I'm sure you can find examples for almost any law that would seem a ridiculous application of that law.
I thought it included not blocking the view. Mine blocks my view of the hood but for someone shorter it would block the view of the road. Cops come in different sizes.

I wonder what set you off. Do you favor committees and found my statement offensive? If so please consider my committee statement retracted.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #40

I prefer well-considered positions and discussions. To suggest a law is foolish without presenting any evidence sets me off.

In any event, the police always have a back-up, 'driving without due care and attention' but the penalties for that are much harsher.