Back up camera - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Name: Lapsley
Trailer: currently saving for an Oliver
Tennessee
Back up camera

I'm new here and an aspiring owner of an Oliver TT.
I'm researching back up cameras, for the trailer, as I will be traveling alone and am curious as to recommendations and has the technology improved over the last year or so?
Laps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Oliver will install a very nice wireless setup for you. They will even do a dual setup, one on the rear and one on the front if you so desire.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #3

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I know this model, for Smart-phone or tablet:
https://www.etrailer.com/Backup-Came...ge/RA7710.html

And this one for Garmin GPS compatible :
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod501486.html
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I installed the Garmin 2798 w/ BC20 camera in my Scamp16 & pickup and am very happy with it after 12K miles using it. The camera I mounted inside the rear window of the trailer and the wireless transmitter inside the front wall of the trailer, in the closet. The GPS unit in the pickup has no trouble with the wireless video signal. I use it as a rear view camera as well as backup so I put it on power with a manual switch rather than backup lights so that I can turn it off and on at will. Switching the GPS display from navigation to camera is quite simple and I usually leave it set in camera mode since there are voice prompts for navigation anyway.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #5

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Following thread. Looking for a good rear view solution for highway driving.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #6

Tennessee
Anyone familiar with this model?

Seems like a novel approach:

7-Inch Mirror with 120° RV Backup Camera
Old 06-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
Following thread. Looking for a good rear view solution for highway driving.
I have one I use. Mirrors.

Actually, I very much rely and use my mirrors. For me a backup camera is just for that, backing up. Their best use in my opinion is for hitching the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have one I use. Mirrors.

Actually, I very much rely and use my mirrors. For me a backup camera is just for that, backing up. Their best use in my opinion is for hitching the trailer.
Ditto.
I look where I'm going, not where I've been.
There are regulations that specify the distance you need to see behind you in adjacent lanes. Mirrors do that well.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I know this model, for Smart-phone or tablet:
https://www.etrailer.com/Backup-Came...ge/RA7710.html
I have been considering this camera for quick hookup for the fifth wheel, as I cannot see the hitch from the cab. It hasn't been too bad without one though, no different than hitching to a bumper pull trailer without a camera.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #10

Tennessee
Clarification

Thanks for all the posts but to clarify, I am looking for a back up camera which would be on the back/rear of the RV, as I will be traveling alone, to have it located there would make late evening, or early morning, backing up into a spot much safer and easier. My tow vehicle is a Dodge Ram 3500 and it already has a back up camera in the tail gate, which in fact I use every time I put the truck in reverse.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #11

Name: Pamela
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Tennessee
Pearl RearVision looks promising…..License plate holder with wireless installation….Only problem I see is the $499.00 price……..Maybe it will come down….
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindrome View Post
Pearl RearVision looks promising…..License plate holder with wireless installation….Only problem I see is the $499.00 price……..Maybe it will come down….
That is a slick looking unit. I went to their website but couldn't find any specs regarding the distance it was capable of transmitting from the camera/license plate to the iPhone. It uses WiFi and Bluetooth. So I just emailed their support department asking that question. I like the features of it being solar powered, and using the iPhone as the display.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #13

Tennessee
Pearl Rear Vision: i emailed them and received a prompt reply but my question wasn't answered so I emailed them again and they returned the reply that their unit seems to use a Class 2 Bluetooth transmitter (typically good up to 33'). Bottom line is that they want me to purchase one if not satisfied then I can return it for full refund. Unfortunately, as I don't even have the trailer yet, I won't be making the purchase. My suspicion is that it is a good idea for passenger cars and trucks, but not necessarily intended for an RV. I would hope that they extend their testing to include the RV market.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Whatever you decide, make sure the angle of vision is wide enough for the intended application. I have a Swift Hitch camera and it has a narrow angle of view, which is great for hitching up, but would be useless for backing the trailer.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I think the easiest display to use is a mount close to the height of your side mirror line of vision. Just as it you drew a line between them. That way you can very quickly scan from side to side as well as seeing directly behind without changing your head height. (maybe for me that is mostly age related with a perpetual achy neck that does not like twisting around like a pretzel)

The displays that show in the rear view mirror are much too small for my liking. I checked several brands of them out in a working display at Frys Electronics store and was not impressed.

But one thing that will likely happen before very long is your mind will get used to where the ball is and then it reaches that instinctual point where you don't have to see it in a backup camera to know you are on the mark. We have amazing brains and we have to remember they are trainable.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laps View Post
Seems like a novel approach:

7-Inch Mirror with 120° RV Backup Camera
I have that exact setup on my Escape 21. Definitely love it; TADI uses a different frequency that is far enough off the Bluetooth frequency that there is no interference. One cable to the monitor that I ran up the drivers side windshield pillar, so it sits above my visor. Monitor clips on/off easy. Night vision illumination is very good, makes it easy to back into my 30 ft deep storage bay.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #17

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I have that exact setup on my Escape 21. Definitely love it; TADI uses a different frequency that is far enough off the Bluetooth frequency that there is no interference. One cable to the monitor that I ran up the drivers side windshield pillar, so it sits above my visor. Monitor clips on/off easy. Night vision illumination is very good, makes it easy to back into my 30 ft deep storage bay.
Thanks for that. I haven't read too many reviews on the TADI unit but those I have seen have been very positive and much less expensive than the unit the Oliver factory offers. When I did the factory tour at Oliver I was told that they would install most any back up camera system I was interested in.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laps View Post
Thanks for that. I haven't read too many reviews on the TADI unit but those I have seen have been very positive and much less expensive than the unit the Oliver factory offers. When I did the factory tour at Oliver I was told that they would install most any back up camera system I was interested in.
Long time TADI user, they've even replaced an out-of-warranty monitor free. Escape trailers recently standardized on TADI for their trailers.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #19

Tennessee
Thanks, another positive response on the TADI unit.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #20

Name: Linh
Trailer: UHAUL
California
Led remote controlled spotlight helps me navigate my rig into camp spots by myself. By the time, I am done with work, get the kids ready it's usually 9pm. Granted, you will look like a ufo but I get tons of compliments on how useful it is.

Through the valley of death.