Backsplash - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Backsplash

Just order these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-821682697.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	60875

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2025414...1#.UcbBrqa9LCQ
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Interesting and looks nice, but a closed trailer gets hot during storage and ensolite is not a "sleek surface". I quote from the product description:
Peel and stick to any clean and sleek surface
Removable with a hairdryer
Simply heat surface of the tile, once it softens, peel off

It would be interesting to hear your review a year from now.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
oooh, I like it! Peel and stick seems to work well for floors which have a problem with moisture. Since these are designed for the kitchen and kitchens are known for heat, I think you'll be fine. Just make sure the ensolite is absolutely stellar clean and chemical free.

You will post pictures when you are finished with the backsplash, won't you?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I put these in the Burro for a backsplash, a couple of weeks ago (I'm so behind in taking and sharing pictures). Of course I've got a smooth surface to work with. They are pretty easy to work with, and so far have not been exposed to extreme parking lot temperatures, so I'll give a report after more summer has passed.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #5

Georgia
I plan on using an additional permanent adhesive.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Someone else did the peel & stick which started falling off and ultimately had to put them back up with adhesive. You're on the right track going with the permanent adhesive when installing them initially. They're fab looking and can't wait to see the finished result.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I see peel & stick floor tiles shrinking, peeling & unsticking all the time when used in RV's. It can get real hot in there. BTW: At $12 a sq.ft. it aint't cheeeep either.
I would look at the faux (or even real) stamped Tin Ceiling sheets for a backsplash.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

Georgia
Hmmm...y'all have got me reconsidering. The possibility of it shrinking has me somewhat spooked. I love the look of the red glass subway tile, however, I'm going to explore some other options. And you're right, that stuff ain't cheap
Old 06-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #9

Georgia
Okay....I picked up the faux tin tiles y'all are talking about. I've yet to see them in the Scamp, but I fear they won't work with my vision so, I emailed the Smart Tile manufacturer what you see below. I'll keep you posted on their response.

"Hi there!

I have some of the red subway tiles on order from Home Depot, and have some questions about whether or not the will work for my application. I will be installing them in my camper as a backsplash.

The wall I will be applying the tiles to is not flat, but instead is slightly concave. Also, the surface is textured vinyl. For these reasons, I planned on using a permanent adhesive to adhere the two surfaces. Do you see any problems with this?

Additionally, I am in the hot and humid south. Will being subjected to this environment cause any warping or shrinking of your smart tiles?

Thanks
Courtney"
Old 06-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I like my glass tiles... will see how they hold over time.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #11

Georgia
You have real glass tile?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ash-56941.html

yup...was pretty easy to do, cost me $55 or so was an easy job and looks awesome!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I posted some photos today to our BC Glass eggs Facebook page of interiors of at least 2 trailers at our meet on the week-end that had the plastic peel & stick tile back splashes & I know they have been in both trailers for at least 2 years without issues of shrinkage or falling off. They look great.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
k8t

Name: Katie
Trailer: ParkLiner 2013
California
Hey this is great! I've been wondering about a sheet of stainless for a backsplash from our local sheet metal fabricator. We just did it at home and it was a snap, also very reasonable. But I don't know about installing sheetmetal into a ParkLiner, and I don't want to have to do the window cut-out.

But along the line of faux tiles, could we use real tin tiles, like seen on this website? It looks like they go up with an adhesive like liquid nails.

http://www.americantinceilings.com/backsplash.html

What would be the drawbacks besides cost?
Sheesh! We don't even have our trailer yet and I'm already planning modifications...

Katie
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote