Backsplash storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Backsplash storage

I've been going back and forth with how to update my backsplash. We're completely removing both the kitchen and the sink and are going to soon install a wooden countertop. So, the back splash will be more decorative than functional.

Lately, though, I've been thinking it'd be better to have some kind of storage back there. I found this at the Container Store:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-413171287.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	61210

It looks super-functional but ugly Have any of you implemented any useful storage solutions for this space?
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I've seen magnetic surfaces used for back splashes and then you can attach almost any kind of container to the surface. Our Scamp has a couple of white basket-like things that stick out of it and I don't think they're that good looking but I don't know what else to do! Whatever you do, I'd love to see pictures when you're finished. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
See my post "Galley Grid Mod".
Ugly?
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...2&d=1366162344
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I, too, am going through the pros and cons of backsplash storage. I decided that, since we mostly cook outdoors, I'd keep the interior simple. As a result I have a set of 4 stainless steel canisters on the counter Oggi Airtight Stainless Steel Canisters with Acrylic Tops (Set of 4) - Bed Bath & Beyond in which I store granola, coffee, cookies and oatmeal. In the little counter space that's left I have Campsoap and a cup with tooth-care supplies. The original backsplash wall behind the sink is covered in "ratfur". I think it is preferable to have a washable surface there such as brushed steel, quilted steel or linoleum. When we cook indoors there is much splashing of oil, fat and grease. I'd like to wall to be easily cleaned. If there was a bunch of stuff hanging on the wall there'd be much to clean as well as much to store when the trailer is in motion. Those are just a few of my thoughts.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #6

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Letitia, that's great! It's the same stuff that I saw today, right? It looks good against your all white, but wouldn't fit in with my faux tin backsplash I decided to go with. Not sure ultimately what I'll ultimate decide on.
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #7

Florida
Registry
Hi Courtney,
You are right in that the grid system I have looks nice on my white fiberglass wall. The Eggcamper does not have a stove, so there is no need for a "backsplash", but there was a need for storage. While my husband gets the tow vehicle hooked or unhooked I get the inside of the trailer organized. During travel, it is a simple matter to remove the grid from the Command hooks.....the "stuff" is placed in a container stored under the bed and the grid piece just sits on the bed.
The items in the grid even color-coordinate with the colors in the camper...blues and greens.
Just got a kick out of your initial post with Container Store goodies.......you thought "ugly" and I thought "perfect"!
Happy Camping!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 07-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Registry
It's not really a backsplash storage option, per se, but has anyone tried something like Home Depot's "smart tiles"?

Smart Tiles 9.85 in. x 9.85 in. Multi Colored Peel and Stick Maya Mosaic Decorative Wall Tile (1-Pack)-SM1004-1 at The Home Depot

We have rat fur behind our stove and I'd love to put something up that I could clean easily. My only fear is that sticking them to the rat fur might look kind of hokey. There are other "sticker" tiles out there as well but I suppose it might be necessary to first put up a more solid surface first. Anyone try it before?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You could stick them on a sheet of FRP then velcro that to the rat fur.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
In a Snoozy there is no back splash unless you made the window into one.
Of course, with fore thought, you could order a Snoozy without a kitchen window.

But I did find a neat deal for the corner of the kitchen above the sink area:
Silverware Holder

I found it at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I like Roy's idea to stick on FRP. But you should also use a suitable adhesive. When it gets hot in the FG trailers, vertical attached stick on tiles don't do too well.

I like your silverware holder too Carl. Good use of space and nice looking holder.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #12

California
Registry
Sorry, what's an FRP? I have rat fur on my Scamp wall and I'm thinking of putting a shiny, flat surface there. Perhaps it could be brushed stainless steel, quilted steel or linoleum. I think I can tuck the piece under the lip of the top and bottom cabinets. Of course, it would work better with something flexible. I haven't done it yet, just thinkin'.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #13

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Sorry, what's an FRP?
Its a fiberglassed reinforced panel. Plastic like panel sold at Home Depot and other hardware stores. I think your backspash idea is a good and easy mod. I installed magnetic panels from Ikea to use as a magnet board too for fun mangets and those that I pick up while traveling. I decided I wanted a pop of color though and took it out and painted it red. Can't wait to get it reinstalled.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post

Its a fiberglassed reinforced panel. Plastic like panel sold at Home Depot and other hardware stores. I think your backspash idea is a good and easy mod. I installed magnetic panels from Ikea to use as a magnet board too for fun mangets and those that I pick up while traveling. I decided I wanted a pop of color though and took it out and painted it red. Can't wait to get it reinstalled.
Thanks for clarifying that -- I wasn't sure what rep meant either! How did you put up your magnetic panels. I think that idea sounds really fun. Is it something we could tuck in under the cabinets and trim like described above? A pic or two of yours would be a great help too. Wink, wink. Thanks or the tips, everyone!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #15

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Thanks for clarifying that -- I wasn't sure what rep meant either! How did you put up your magnetic panels. I think that idea sounds really fun. Is it something we could tuck in under the cabinets and trim like described above? A pic or two of yours would be a great help too. Wink, wink. Thanks or the tips, everyone!
I used these magnetic board from Ikea and trimed off the 1/2" lip with a grinder/cutter tool. It didn't take too long and wasn't really necessary, but I wanted it flush to the wall. They come in silver (looks like ss) and white.
SPONTAN Magnetic board - silver color - IKEA
But I wanted red because I needed some color on the walls so that's why I sprayed it red. Everything went very quickly and cost in the store was $10.99 each for a total of $26 with the spray paint. I used double sided tape, but when I reattached it I will also run a bead of 3M caulk/adhesive around the bottom and top to make sure the tape holds it well when stored during summer heat. It rests on the top of the little 2 1/2" or so backspash that's built into the base cabinet so it doesn't need a lot to keep it up. I also, but a couple of metal mirror clips under the bottom of my stove vent that helps hold the top in place. It is exactly the height to cover from the top of the lower cabinet to the bottom of the vent. I'll post picture after I pick up the Scamp from the repair shop (repacking wheel bearings), and reinstall the backsplash.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #16

Registry
Thanks again! Pictures will be very helpful, particularly of the mirror clips, but I think for now, I can picture it. I'm surprised double sided tape worked to hold it up but if it will, that's great.

Out of curiosity, what is your Scamp's layout? I'm just wondering if I'll need one or two of theses to go behind the stove/counter area of ours. Thanks again -- I think I'm getting much closer to our solution!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Sorry, what's an FRP?
FRP Panels
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #18

California
Registry
'So glad to know about FRPs and the IKEA solution. I was thinking of using these kitchen mats from Walter Drake, assuming they are the right size Non Slip Counter Mats - Non Slip Kitchen Mat - Walter Drake. I think a backsplash, cut to the right size, could be simply slipped in under the top and bottom fiberglass lips, after loosening the bolts a bit. One could also "adhere" the backsplash with the hook sides of Velcro. I have found that Velcro holds things quite firmly to the "rat fur". By doing so, one could easily remove the backsplash for cleaning or for changing the decor.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #19

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I continued the curtain rod across and painted a piece of hardboard with stained wood trim to match to make the backsplash. Ikea has many kitchen options to hang from a rod for storage, and if I take them down the back splash becomes a screen for a small projector (visible from our bed and the kids bunks) on those rainy days, the rest of the camping with no tv in sight.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #20

California
Registry
That insulated mat is interesting stuff. You're right about slipping it behind the cabinets a bit. The magnetic panels I used only went as high as the stove vent. I was going to get another piece for the upper part, but think I'll live with it for now. I reinstalled my today after painting it RED! I like the added color. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I like the way it turned out. I decided to paint the fridge panel red as well. Fun stuff.