BAL tire leveler - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #41

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
I think it's nice the refer is level........
I agree, my target is bubble in the middle as well. If I could use BAL lifter a bubble device would be the only measuring tool I would use. Unfortunately 21RB Bigfoot is at BAL’s weight limit and has two axles. Perhaps I could use 2 BALs but this could become cumbersome and I am not sure there is enough room for side by side BALs. Using blocks under tires was always hit and miss for me and I rarely hit a target in one attempt. With prior angle measurement I bull’s eye in one shot. I probably could use bubble as a gauge to estimate how much lift is going to be needed but I never master my eye calibration. I have seen folks with expertise of looking at a parking spot and predicting how many inches lift per side is needed but it I am not as good.

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I just picked up a large shopping bag with handles at Gorden foods for $1.99.

When I got home I put the Bal, box and all in the bag and it worked out great.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The screw can be greasy so I cover it with a piece of foam pipe insulation when storing the leveler. I've only used it once and it was fine. I'd like to figure out a way to mount on the tongue for storage.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #44

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
I agree with many – the BAL wheel leveler is a great thing to use. In order for it too work properly it is necessary to keep the screw mechanism well lubricated so yes, it can be messy to store and transport.
Since the screw mechanism is the messy part, I created a canister out of inexpensive PVC parts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	060_Old_greasy.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	19280

Name:	080_Shop_towel.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	19282

Name:	110_Ready_to_go.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	19284

Oh yes, another thing – in addition to a leveler it is a great wheel chock.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
070_Some_PVC.jpg   090_Put_it_all_together.jpg  

ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 AM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Thanks for the great idea Don, I will make one this week.

Bill K

Quote:
I agree with many – the BAL wheel leveler is a great thing to use. In order for it too work properly it is necessary to keep the screw mechanism well lubricated so yes, it can be messy to store and transport.
Since the screw mechanism is the messy part, I created a canister out of inexpensive PVC parts.

Don
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #46

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
My side-to-side leveling process is:
Before entering the site, we "walk" it to locate the hookups, spot any bad low/high spots and 'attack' trees. Having decided upon a probable location I point out to the PIC where I would like to have the rear bumper stop. This spot is normally about one foot beyond where I would like to setup. Then, while backing in (or pulling in) I watch the large bubble level mounted on the belly band of the egg.

Name:	040_Stop_tow_vehicle_when_trailer_is_level.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	19415

When the PIC signals that the back bumper is in position, depending upon the information from the large bubble level, I may pull or push the egg a bit to get a 'best starting level' position. Then a signal to the PIC and she puts 'her' block (a short board) in front/back of the low side wheel and I pull/push the egg onto the board. The PIC chocks the high side wheel while I put the truck in park, set the parking brake and turn off the ignition.

Name:	PICs_chocks_and_block.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	19418

I get the BAL leveler, place it around the low side wheel. Using a cordless drill and guided by the small bubble levels mounted in each wheel well, level, and/or chock, the low side. Often the PICs block is all that is necessary to level the trailer and the BAL level ends up being used as a chock. But when needed, the BAL level is a great solution.

Name:	050_Handy_bubble_level.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	19416
[attachment=23366:130_Maxi...2_inches.
jpg]
On an average day it takes about 4 min for the walk, site enter and side-to-side leveling thing.

Don

Attached Thumbnails
130_Maximum_lift_4_1_2_inches.jpg  
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #47

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
I think what happened with the welder is that in jacking up the frame he flexed it enough to make it straight, but did not go beyond the yield point, the result being frame would return to its bent shape when the jacks were taken away. The sister bar wasn't strong enough to resist the frame's memory of the bend, so it bent to conform to the frame.

It's real hard to take out a bend like that because it's nearly impossible to subject the frame to a sufficient force against gravity and the stiffening effect of the trailer's body to go past the yield point in a calibrated manner. You want to only go far enough to take out the kink, not so much as to put in a reverse kink, and not so little as to have no significant effect.

If it makes you feel any better, Steve Lang's Fiber Stream also had a bend in the same place. Perhaps it wasn't quite as bad but it certainly was noticeable.
Dana, Frederick - your discussion is surely good food for thought for anyone that considers mounting weight that extends beyond the frame fore or aft on any trailer. I've learned two things today:

1. The BAL leveler - didn't even know they existed until today. I might just pick one up!
2. Frederick, your story illustrates the complexity of repairing a problem and the law of unexpected consequences when loading or modifying a trailer beyond it's original design. Dana<<I believe it is much more likely that the yield point was exceeded by a combination of weight and vertical acceleration -- in other words, a weighty tail and a very sharp jolt that probably bottomed out the springs.>>

Thanks to both of you for your sharing your experience and your knowledge.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #48

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
2. Frederick, your story illustrates the complexity of repairing a problem and the law of unexpected consequences when loading or modifying a trailer [b]beyond it's original design.
Unfortunately, the combination of the lightweight frame and the placement of the Black and Gray holding tanks cantilevered behind the rear axle ARE the original design of the Fiber Stream. I have come to the conclusion that I must empty the tanks before towing for any significant distance for there is no telling how bad even freeway pavement is.

I'm sorry for hijacking this leveler thread with my woes; but I was responding to the use of stabilizers to level; which I believe to be an uninformed practice. You can't always expect your trailer frame to be over-engineered to be completely rigid.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #49

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Not a hijack at all Frederick. Your comments confirm that my frame also torques using the stabilizer jacks. All the more reason to get a BAL leveller.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #50

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I have only one question. What the heck is "imitation nylon?"
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote