Bathroom door replacement - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
Texas
Bathroom door replacement

I have a 93 Scamp 5th wheel. The bathroom door is sagging and damaged at the bottom. Anybody have suggestions on material and advice in replacement

patsublett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
You don't say whether it is a Deluxe or a Standard,but either way the door should be hung with a piano hinge and a stiffener.

Remove the stiffener, straighten it for reinstallation.

If there is any real damage to the door at the bottom, you might just cut the damage off then install a piece of material of the appropriate thickness to replace the piece removed. To attach the new piece, you could use a piece of aluminum or stainless sheet on the inside large enough to cover all of the previously damaged area plus up another third as much.
On the outside you might use sheet material such as matching colored Luan or aluminum, plastic etc. That is to say something you find aesthetically pleasing.

Next replace the stiffener and be sure that your shower curtain is always used to keep the door dry.

The hardware store sells Brass and steel kick plates for door bottoms which might do very well and look nice.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:18 AM   #3

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
I plan to, over the winter, replace all the pressed hardboard doors with cedar. Even though my shower door is in fine shape I will build a frame with a 3/4 inch thick frame that is 5 inches wide. With a grove on the inside of this frame, I will then put 1/4 X 3/4 inch wide slats. Then I will put the standard 3 coats of urethane over it, using steel wool to buff it up between each coat.
I bet I will save myself 15 LBS just by replacing this one door.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We replaced the door on our porta-potty niche with a curtain made from a beach towel. Lighter, easy, and we already had the towel. Also, when open, it didn't block the entryway as the original door had done, albeit briefly. YMMV People do such beautiful work sometimes, ours is a different take on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 115.JPG  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #5

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Kathleen.....

Bravo! Less staid and more cheerful is way better!

Frank
J.F.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
We replaced our old door with one I built with an oak frame, with 1/4" plywood inserts. The old door had split apart at the seam where all the screws lined up. Reused the old hinge and door handle. The new door is half the weight of the old door.

Hung the mirror back on this door with snap caps on the inside. Added an LED battery operated light above the mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp bath door.jpg  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote