Bathroom Fan Installation - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Question Bathroom Fan Installation

Has anyone installed a roof fan in a marine bathroom?

I want to replace the roof vent in my marine bathroom with a 3 way fan. I have a '92 Bigfoot travel trailer.

Problem: My RV service guy cannot figure out how to connect a fan to a power source. The marine bathroom walls are covered by fiberglass and he doesn't think that we could wire the fan to the light without cutting into the fiberglass.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Has anyone installed a roof fan in a marine bathroom?

I want to replace the roof vent in my marine bathroom with a 3 way fan. I have a '92 Bigfoot travel trailer.

Problem: My RV service guy cannot figure out how to connect a fan to a power source. The marine bathroom walls are covered by fiberglass and he doesn't think that we could wire the fan to the light without cutting into the fiberglass.

Any suggestions?
Your bathroom walls are probably a shell within your exterior walls and snaking 12v wires should not be hard to do, particularly if you are placing the vent on a vertical wall, if on the ceiling maybe more challenging unless right next to the light then it should be easy.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Your bathroom walls are probably a shell within your exterior walls and snaking 12v wires should not be hard to do, particularly if you are placing the vent on a vertical wall, if on the ceiling maybe more challenging unless right next to the light then it should be easy.
I'll try to take some pictures and figure out how to post them.

The vent is on the ceiling. There is a light in the bathroom, but the wiring is within the shell.

My RV guy (who is quite experienced) feels that I cannot run 12 volt wires from the vent to the light without cutting into the marine shell. And he thinks that if I do that, it would expose the wiring to moisture. He also wants to avoid cutting holes in the ceiling to snake the wires into the main cabin. He knows I want to maintain the integrity of the roof.

I'm wondering if any '80s or '90s Bigfoot 17 owners have installed a Fantastic or Maxx Fan in their bathrooms.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #4

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
My thread is here: Replacing a Circular Vent with Power Fan

I don't know what a three way fan is, though - a fan, a vent and a.....skylight???

There are some solar options. Is your vent round or square? What size?

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
There may be an RV equivalent of wire-mold. Wire-mold is an exterior conduit designed to prevent knocking holes in plaster walls. That way the could use the wires for the light where it comes out of the wall and run a surface conduit to the vent/fan. If no RV equivalent why not use the real thing?

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
How about a solar fan? I suppose you'd have to camp in the sun, but this may solve your problem: Amazon.com: Solar Ventilation Fan: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How about a solar fan? I suppose you'd have to camp in the sun, but this may solve your problem: Amazon.com: Solar Ventilation Fan: Patio, Lawn & Garden
That is a really good idea!

The fans on Amazon didn't get great customer reviews. But I think that I'll do some research to select a good one.

The roof vent is the normal size square one. I'll have to find something that will work with that hole size.

Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #8

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Our Bigfoot was wired for a 12 v fan at the bathroom vent, I think it was the type that had a smaller fan attached to the vent. Some previous owner removed the vent with fan and installed a regular vent. Has your RV guy checked to see if there is wiring to the vent?

We will eventually put a Fantastic Fan or the equivalent in.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Our Bigfoot was wired for a 12 v fan at the bathroom vent, I think it was the type that had a smaller fan attached to the vent. Some previous owner removed the vent with fan and installed a regular vent. Has your RV guy checked to see if there is wiring to the vent?

We will eventually put a Fantastic Fan or the equivalent in.
Thank you Liz! I was hoping to hear from Bigfoot owners!

I do recall other Bigfoot 17 owners telling me that there is wiring to the Bathroom vent.

The research work done by my RV guy was a curtesy to me.

I will ask if he has checked the vent. However, am thinking that he would need to remove the existing vent to check for existing wiring. I would not want that unless I know what I will be using as a replacment.

I'm thinking of adding a Maxx Fan (because of the low profile roof vent) or Fantastic Fan. In addition to using it to clear out "odors", I would like to move air from the front windows (fitted with Maxx Air Vents) by the dinnette to the back of the trailer while boondocking.

Thanks ...

JMP
Old 11-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Thank you Liz! I was hoping to hear from Bigfoot owners!

I do recall other Bigfoot 17 owners telling me that there is wiring to the Bathroom vent.

The research work done by my RV guy was a curtesy to me.

I will ask if he has checked the vent. However, am thinking that he would need to remove the existing vent to check for existing wiring. I would not want that unless I know what I will be using as a replacment.

I'm thinking of adding a Maxx Fan (because of the low profile roof vent) or Fantastic Fan. In addition to using it to clear out "odors", I would like to move air from the front windows (fitted with Maxx Air Vents) by the dinnette to the back of the trailer while boondocking.

Thanks ...

JMP
You do not need to remove the exterior part of the vent to check for wires, just the interior finish trim and you can then see inside the 2 shells and look for wires. You can reinstall the interior trim without affecting the waterproof integrity of the vent.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #11

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
What Jim ^ said. I can see the wires with the inside trim garnish removed. You should be able to do that. You might need a Robertson screwdriver to remove the screws if they have square "holes" in them, having a Bigfoot you should own a set of those drivers anyway if you don't already have them.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #12

Name: Rusty
Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Washington
As Donna proposed a solar vent fan, I am also curious to know if anyone has used one and whether it worked as intended. One of the criticisms of the smaller solar units is that they remove about 860 cubic feet of air per hour rather than per minute. In our small trailers this may be an adequate amount if the intent is to remove condensation rather than to cool the interior.

Tags
fans