Battery Box Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
If you have a crank on the tongue that is in a horizontal position when cranked (welded on the side of the tongue) there may not be room between the front of camper shell and the tank for a battery box. Moving the tank forward and clearance of tank to crank handle becomes an issue.

In my case considering shorten the crank handle by an inch or so, move the tank forward just a bit and I think I can squeeze a battery box resting on angle iron on top of the tongue.
Not sure what Scamp may or may not have changed between the OP's 16' trailer build and my 92 but I do have the crank tongue jack mounted on the side of the tongue along with the battery up against the house and the propane tank in front of the battery. No issues with the tongue jack handle interfering with the tank. But the jacks mounting bracket is welded to the trailer as far forward as it can be on the tongue. On the older scamps with the original 1 7/8" coupler the jack would be weld on right at the point the coupler starts to slope downwards. The jack on mine is a Fulton that looks a lot like this one on e-trailer. It may or may not be original to the trailer but I suspect it is.

When in up/travel position the top section on the jack does ride parallel to the coupler but is about 3-4" or so shorter than the coupler. So one would have to do a real *serious* jack knife before there would be any danger of it connection with the tugs bumper.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #16

Name: rick
Trailer: scamp 16 [front bath]
Colorado
David,
I can't help you right away. My trailer is stored in an RV lot several miles away and I'm busy this weekend. I could make the measurements next Monday or Tuesday [depending on which day turns out to be a ski day] if that will be helpful. I can't imagine why the factory doesn't weld those rails on as a matter of course on all their 16' trailers. I'm really amazed at some of the things they do [or don't do] in Backus.
Rick/Arvada,CO

Old 01-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick in arvada View Post
David,
I can't imagine why the factory doesn't weld those rails on as a matter of course on all their 16' trailers. I'm really amazed at some of the things they do [or don't do] in Backus.
Rick/Arvada,CO
Rick I am pretty sure they have been for about the last 25 years or so - or a least my stock 16' which is 23 years old came with them and have seen a trailers a few years older than mine with them as well. The lack of them on the OP's 70's built trailer is as Roger has mentioned, onboard battery in that time frame was not a stock item. Scamp was not the only small trailer manufacture in that time frame that did not include one as a stock item.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #18

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Bob, that is the first time I've ever seen a tank that small... I was planning on a pair of 20's just so I wouldn't worry about running out. What does that service, how big is it, and how long does it last?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
That's an 11 lb tank, but 20 lb tanks have the same base size and could have been fitted to the same mount.

It's installed on a small Palomino tent trailer and all it feeds is a stove and future 3 way refrigerator. With that use it should last two peeps well over a week to ten days.

I also provided an adapter and two 1lb disposable cans for emergencies if they ran out on the road. For most (but not all) two 20 lb tanks & a battery is just that much more weight on the tongue part of the frame.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #20

Michigan
Maybe I'm worried over nothing. I'm a tent camper 'til now. I've gone for a week on a 1 lb bottle cooking for three... Hmmm, doing the math here that would leave 39 lbs for the furnace... Anyone ever use that in a week?
Old 01-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by boats19 View Post
Maybe I'm worried over nothing. I'm a tent camper 'til now. I've gone for a week on a 1 lb bottle cooking for three... Hmmm, doing the math here that would leave 39 lbs for the furnace... Anyone ever use that in a week?
LOL Nope!! Havent even used up a 20lb tank while dry camping for two weeks - that includes using the stove in the trailer every morning, running the fridge 24/7 on propane and running the furnace occasionally as needed as well as the hot water tank for showers.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #22

Michigan
Sweet! One less thing to worry about. I think this tent-to-camper transition will go a lot smoother than I thought!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #23

Michigan
...and BC is even farther North than I am!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
...and BC is even farther North than I am!
And a whole lot warmer.
It's 5pm here. Currently 10 degrees C or 50 degrees F.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #25

Michigan
Glenn, True. It's only 37 F here, we don't have the Japan current to keep us warm...just the lake effect.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I forget the details, but there was a mom, years ago, knitting mittens and sweaters for her son who was working in Canada. She was afraid he was going to freeze to death. He had to show her on a map that actually, where he was in Canada was further south than she was in the US.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Glenn, True. It's only 37 F here, we don't have the Japan current to keep us warm...just the lake effect.
You can keep the cold! We actually had a sunny and 53 degree day on Monday. Even though I live on the side of a ski hill we haven't seen a drop of snow this year. Starting to wondering why I bothered to put snow tires on the cars.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #28

Michigan
If you are in Maine, Canada is to the West... If you are in Detroit, Canada is to the South... If you are in Sault Ste Marie, Canada is to the East... And we all know Canada is to the North... It's like we're completely surrounded! LOL

Tags
battery