Battery location - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
Is it safe to place the battery where my refrigerator used to be (assuming I can get it out tonight) ?

It would now be in a very well ventilated area but not technically sealed off since since the cabinet doors are not air tight.

Thoughts?

Dan

Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I know there are some strong opinions on this issue due to the fact that when the battery is being charged there is a small amount of hydrogen gas and oxygen gas produced, and these mixed together can be quite explosive.

But consider your car, battery in the engine compartment with sparks flying all around during dry weather. And many of the older cars and pickups had the batteries under the seat. The only problem I've ever heard was when a fellow pulled the caps off his battery while it was on a high rate charger and peered down the holes to check the water level with a cigarette in his mouth. I don't even know if the story was true -- probably someone just thought it up to scare little children.

So I am a little cavalier about such things. Of course, I managed to survive my infanthood and childhood just fine without a seat belt and haven't yet figured out how work my daughter's cell phone or digital camera.

But if you are concerned, you can get a regulation battery box at a marine supply.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
We`ve had 8D diesel batteries blow up from a spark while under charge where I used to work.....also batteries can blow when boosting cars from the arcing of the booster cables when the batteries are connected with the wrong polarity or in the wrong sequence or at the wrong point.....stuff like this happens.......Benny
Old 04-27-2006, 06:36 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Dan,

You asked for thoughts...

Do I have a philosophical objection to sealing it off? Is it physically impossible to find a location due to space considerations? Do I travel alone with no one else I care about in the trailer? Battery explosions are relatively rare. Will I be comforted that it was a one-in-a-million chance that my beloved pet weasel went up in the explosion? I can't eliminate all risk so where do I draw the line? What is reasonable due diligence?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:21 AM   #5

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Dan, as long as the battery is in a plastic battery box with lid so it can't leak acid into the trailer, and the fridge compartment is still vented to the atmosphere, I think it's almost an ideal location. I don't see a problem at all.

Roger
Old 04-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 75 Boler
What's the main concern here? Is it the fumes (regardless if it blows or not?) or the spill factor?

I assume by placing it in a plasstic battery box and strapping it down I'm OK.

Dan
Old 04-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #7

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
What's the main concern here? Is it the fumes (regardless if it blows or not?) or the spill factor?

I assume by placing it in a plasstic battery box and strapping it down I'm OK.

Dan
Dan, I think it's both spill containment and venting hydrogen. I also think that by putting it in a box and strapping it down in a well ventilated compartment, you're fine.

Roger
Old 04-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #8

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
I must be dense. If the danger is the creation of explosive gases during charging, wouldn't placing battery inside a covered little plastic box make accumulating said gasses more probable?

Now that aside, I take it the ideal location would be on the tongue? Or would the rear bumper be better? Or, does it matter, so long as the battery is kept outside?

When I got my Burro, judging from the wires and a metal tray on the curbside rear bumper, that's where the battery was kept. But I don't want to put my new battery there. I like keeping the bumper clear. I also don't want the battery where it can be seen and becomes a temptation.

There's no room for it on the tongue, so I was planning to place it under the sink, where my original fridge was, but I have sealed up those fridge vents. By placing it in a plastic box have I reduced to negligible the probabilities of placing my weasels at risk, or not? Or, if I buy a sealed battery which has no openings, does the entire safety question become moot?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #9

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I'm not certain, but I think you can buy replacement battery caps that have a fitting to attach a vent hose. This would be an ideal way to vent a battery.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 04-27-2006, 06:59 PM   #10

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
So you would drill a hole in the wall or floor for the hose to expell what its venting? Gosh I don't think I would do that.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
So you would drill a hole in the wall or floor for the hose to expell what its venting? Gosh I don't think I would do that.
I don't see why not... Your trailer already has a few holes in the floor. Get a drill, cut the hole(s), and if you are fussy paint the unfinished surface inside the hole.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 04-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #12

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...Or, if I buy a sealed battery which has no openings, does the entire safety question become moot?
No, because there are no completely sealed batteries. Gel and AGM batteries normally do not vent, but still have a safety overpressure vent, which is why they can be mounted any way except upside-down. I think an AGM battery would significantly reduce the risk (which may be low anyway), but indications from AGM manufacturers on their web sites are that venting the compartment is still required for safety.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Are you aware that every Cadilac de Ville has a battery under the rear seat. It is a sealed lead acid battery. I don't think they would put one there if it was unsafe.

The only danger is if under heavy charging the hydrogen generated would leak out and be ignited somehow. There is a very minute probability that this would happen.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
If you had a small case of some type, preferably plastic, with the side against the fridge vent open and possibly a gasketed access door from the cupboards I don`t think you`d have a problem....your fridge was sealed off from the trailer interior if it had gas capability.....I was under the impression that the battery would just be placed in the fridge space and open to the cupboards which would cause a possible high accumulation of gas...also like Brian said...the cars that had batteries in the passenger compartments, i.e. Corvettes, had a fairly tight access hatch from the passenger cabin to the battery compartment with venting thru the case bottom.......Benny

Tags
battery