Battery-powered AC units for truckers...? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Question Battery-powered AC units for truckers...?

I was just digging through the Dometic website looking for other stuff and came across these. Battery powered? Work for 8-11 hours? They look (relatively) small?

Is there any chance these might be a good solution for cooling FGRV?

(this is just one model, there are others)

Inquiring minds like to know!
LP
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As most of us know, it's common practice for truckers to leave engines running when parked, meaning that the huge alternator they have, or an APU (Aux power unit), is available for powering a/c's etc. Looking at the specs it looks like it would take a substantial battery bank to get overnight cooling from battery power alone.

Which would then need to be recharged for the next nights use. Add to that, sleeper cabs are a lot smaller than FGRV's.

When it comes to generating BTU for cooling there's no free ride known, so far anyway!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Battery powered AC. Would that not be the same as any other 120V Air Conditioner running off an inverter? With the inherent inefficiencies in such conversion it would take a lot of battery to pull off. Maybe one of those new high dollar Tesla batteries. I am waiting on a nice 12V compressor AC unit not unlike the 12V compressor refrigerators that are proven technology.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

CA
This reminds me a lot of the days when we had laser copiers and laser printers, which were essentially the same machinery, but you had to purchase two items to do almost the same job. I kept wondering why they didn't combine printers and copiers. Viola. Someone finally did.

But that does beg the question, if we can get things cool using propane, would it be THAT hard to power AC somehow the same way?

(Thanks for the PM info on all of this!)

I'm curious to know what we have discovered so far... what is the most efficient, least power drawing AC we've got available right now (appropriate for a little egg)?

LP
Old 07-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

You could build an LP powered a/c system but, to produce the volume of cooling BTU's you need it would be about the same size and cost as a new 13' Scamp.

For a closed circuit refrigerator/freezer it's fairly easy, but also expensive, for a full scale a/c unit it would be cheaper to keep about 1000 squirrels in a wheel running a generator.... LOL

Old 07-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
You could build an LP powered a/c system but, to produce the volume of cooling BTU's you need it would be about the same size and cost as a new 13' Scamp.

For a closed circuit refrigerator/freezer it's fairly easy, but also expensive, for a full scale a/c unit it would be cheaper to keep about 1000 squirrels in a wheel running a generator.... LOL
AHA! At last we have a workable plan! Any thoughts on what's required to keep 1000 squirrels moving at a dead run for 8 hours????

LP
Old 07-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #7

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Unfortunately, federal laws prohibit squirrels from working more than 8 hours without a 30 minute break. In addition there are likely confined animal feeding operations which would limit the number of squirrels being housed in one place. They would likely be banned in California due to the excess carbon dioxide emitted while on the treadmill. While the concept seems plausible , I doubt that the bureaucracy involved in the proof of concept trials could be overcome at a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #8

Actually I looked up the Squirrel Labor Laws for California and their use in a/c power units has been banned due to excessive amounts of flatulent odors emitted during operation. Sorry, we will have to find a different method.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
They do make a diesel a/c unit for reefers but it is to big and heavy for us maybe we could find a small one a Quart of fuel will run for a full day.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Sent a message to domestic support, see what they come back with
Old 07-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #11

CA
Borden, WOW -- that's very intriguing! Will be watching to see what you find out!

Bob and Michael J., you two are obviously squirrel huggers whose opinions are tainted by raw emotion. Everyone knows those little critters were born to run. No matter... I'm already working out a plan for using hamsters on exercise wheels instead. We always posited in the early days this would be a faster method for powering some computers; now there is an opportunity to put the hamster-powered concept to a real test.

As you can see from my initial research (see video), hamsters are ready and willing to dedicate themselves to the job of producing power, and neither bangs nor falls nor concussions will stay them from the swift completion of their appointed task.

(However, I do think it advisable to check into all details of worker's compensation insurance.)

Best,
LP
Old 07-13-2015, 11:57 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I was just digging through the Dometic website looking for other stuff and came across these. Battery powered? Work for 8-11 hours? They look (relatively) small?

Is there any chance these might be a good solution for cooling FGRV?

(this is just one model, there are others)

Inquiring minds like to know!
LP
The 7000 cooling unit draws 9 amps. The group 27 batteries would be good for 3-4 hours. Plus you'd have to create a hole for the condensate drain.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:40 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The 7000 cooling unit draws 9 amps. The group 27 batteries would be good for 3-4 hours. Plus you'd have to create a hole for the condensate drain.
That's 9 amps at 120 volts I believe. That would be 90 amps at 12 Volts.
The web site says for use with shore power. It does mention batteries and inverters, but at 90 amp it work for very long at 12 volts that doesn't include starting current.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:36 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Battery powered AC. Would that not be the same as any other 120V Air Conditioner running off an inverter? With the inherent inefficiencies in such conversion it would take a lot of battery to pull off. Maybe one of those new high dollar Tesla batteries. I am waiting on a nice 12V compressor AC unit not unlike the 12V compressor refrigerators that are proven technology.
I'd like to hear more about those 12V compressor fridges mentioned several posts up.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #15

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Battery-powered AC units for truckers...?

I'm not focused on trying to have a battery powered a/c. But the 7000 btu split unit seems like the ideal a/c for my desires. It just fits the ideal plan in my mind. Very small outside unit with multiple mounting options, small hole needed to run the connection through (I have no a/c so no big hole in the fiberglass yet) and fairly small inside unit with ducting options.

http://www.dometic.com/USA/MS-9629-T...ondensing-Unit

Sadly I couldn't find it for sale anywhere online to check the price. I think it's going to be crazy expensive. It's the top of my list so far in my search for an air conditioning plan from scratch, if it doesn't cost too much. When I get home from 2 trips I'm on, I planned to call around to find out where to purchase these.
AUskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #16

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
I'd like to hear more about those 12V compressor fridges mentioned several posts up.

p@
12V compressor fridges cool down a very small enclosed volume, about 1/100 of the trailer volume the AC is supposed to cool down.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
AHA! At last we have a workable plan! Any thoughts on what's required to keep 1000 squirrels moving at a dead run for 8 hours????

LP
Put a Standard Schnauzer behind them and it becomes a run or die situation!

Heck I'm guessing a Mini Schnauzer probably maintains a strong rodent prey drive too. I'm just not sure they would chase for the full 8 hours, do personally know a Standard that would.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:28 AM   #18

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Put a Standard Schnauzer behind them and it becomes a run or die situation!

Heck I'm guessing a Mini Schnauzer probably maintains a strong rodent prey drive too. I'm just not sure they would chase for the full 8 hours, do personally know a Standard that would.

RogerDat, good to know! If my current experiment with hamsters doesn't work out, I'll definitely look into the squirrel/Standard Schnauzer angle!

LP
Old 07-18-2015, 06:38 AM   #19

You guys and ladies may be laughing, but in Bath, U.K. in an 18th century restored home, there is a dog powered wheel that is used to turn a meat spit in a kitchen. Best part. it is located above the fire, if the dog stops running, it becomes dinner for the help....LOL

Old 07-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #20

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Texas
For those who might come across this post and wonder about these type of Dometic units, I did call and get a price quote from a supplier. I was interested in the Blizzard Split System Air Conditioning

The price I was given for everything needed was $4,515. Um Wow. I guess I'll be working on finding my favorite way to install a window unit. Too bad, this thing looked like a great way to put A/C in these small trailers.

AUskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery