Battery recharging? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #29

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Raz, your post #21 above very interesting in that the desulfation mode of a smart charger is described as having the characteristic of "boiling" the electrolyte. My PD9245 autocycles to desulfation voltage for 15 minutes duration at interval of 21 hours. What number of cycles would put the battery on the boil for a period of time sufficient to produce a significant loss of electrotyte?

Is increase or reduction of charging voltage based on electrolyte temp. difficult, expensive, physically cumbersome, commercially undeveloped, all of above? I suppose you are aware of self-styled battery experts on the internet who claim that a wet cell 12v batt can't be "pressurized" to full charge at less than 15+V? Would these experts be risking boiling out their batteries or do they have "software switching" of charge voltage based on sophisticated predictions of batt chemistry which the rv converter maker either does not have or is not willing to implement?

jack

Old 06-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I can only guess that this is a shot at me, as it is in the context of a post which quotes almost all of my post. I did not at any point in this thread urge anyone to replace anything
Nope, not a shot at you but rather a general observation.

P.S. I posted in Donna's thread this morning.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #31
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Raz, your post #21 above very interesting in that the desulfation mode of a smart charger is described as having the characteristic of "boiling" the electrolyte. My PD9245 autocycles to desulfation voltage for 15 minutes duration at interval of 21 hours. What number of cycles would put the battery on the boil for a period of time sufficient to produce a significant loss of electrotyte?

Is increase or reduction of charging voltage based on electrolyte temp. difficult, expensive, physically cumbersome, commercially undeveloped, all of above? I suppose you are aware of self-styled battery experts on the internet who claim that a wet cell 12v batt can't be "pressurized" to full charge at less than 15+V? Would these experts be risking boiling out their batteries or do they have "software switching" of charge voltage based on sophisticated predictions of batt chemistry which the rv converter maker either does not have or is not willing to implement?

jack
Jack, I'm an EE not a chemist. I can tell you how to design a circuit to do it but even the chemists can't agree whether it's a good idea. In the "smart" chargers decisions are made based on battery voltage. They read the voltage, convert it to a number and compare it to a preset value. When the battery voltage reaches that value the converter changes mode. But since each batteries chemistry is slightly different, the switch points are not optimum. A better indicator of where the charger should switch is electrolyte temperature. To do this would require a temperature sensor (thermistor) inside the battery and a charger that was programmed to interpret it. It would not surprise me if this is done in commercial systems with $1000 batteries. With RV batteries all this finesse is wasted the first time the owner leaves his battery sitting all winter uncharged. Raz