Beachcomber TM15 - The build, starting with gutting the inside - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Rick n's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Posts: 174
Registry
What happens is the wood get very wet and rots away or gets very spongy causing the thin fibreglass shell/floor to carry the heavy load of folks entering and exiting the trailer, which causes the mounting bolts to rust away and the fibreglass to crack and ultimately break under the load, then the front door side corner drops and the door no longer lines up with the trailer.


I had to put cinder blocks in the trailer then jack up the spots where the body/floor of the trailer had dropped, we then roughed up the existing fibreglass floor area where the broken parts are and installed the first of two layers of fibreglass mat.

Here's some more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_038.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_039.jpg  

Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_040.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_043.jpg  

Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_044.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_045.jpg  

__________________

__________________
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Rick n's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Posts: 174
Registry
And the last of the pictures, until I finish it up tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_047.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_048.jpg  

Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_049.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_050.jpg  

__________________

__________________
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Posts: 13
Here are some pictures of my little egg carton.. .

You can see some of the door sag and I also took a pic of the underside of the door and the bolt you were referring to.

I'm not sure if I see any of the rot on this side.. but I have no doubt it's an issue with these things.

Question really is do I dare to mess with it until I'm ready to gut the thing and do it properly... it's a pain to shut the door though.
Attached Thumbnails
inner_door_racer_stripe.jpg   door_weatherstripping_mess.jpg  

door_undercarriage.jpg   door_threshold.jpg  

door_sag_side.jpg   door_sag.jpg  

door_sag2.jpg   door_jam_more_caulk.jpg  

door_jam_caulk.jpg  
__________________
Michelle GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Rick n's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Posts: 174
Registry
Quote:
Here are some pictures of my little egg carton.. .

You can see some of the door sag and I also took a pic of the underside of the door and the bolt you were referring to.

I'm not sure if I see any of the rot on this side.. but I have no doubt it's an issue with these things.

Question really is do I dare to mess with it until I'm ready to gut the thing and do it properly... it's a pain to shut the door though.
Hey Michelle, I just answered your husbands p.m.

From your pictures it looks like someone might have separated the two halves of the trailer partially at one time or other, the two halves on our trailer actually touch there's no gap or maybe an 1/8 of an inch.

Post up some pictures of the complete trailer if you can I'd like to see how close yours is to ours.

BTW, you floor under the door looks pretty good, and no I wouldn't tear into the trailer too far until you are ready to do a complete rebuild because from my experience you are bound to find some hidden surprises
__________________
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Posts: 13
Here is a shot of our trailer from a distance. It's smushed into our garage right now while I do some cleaning (the tail lights are full of black grossness) so this is best I can do for right now.

I'm noticing there used to be a light on the outside beside the door. If anyone knows where I could score one of these (would like something retro-appropriate) I would appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
April_18_108.jpg   April_18_109.jpg  

__________________
Michelle GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Posts: 13
On your comments I went and had a look and it turns out there is little or no gap anywhere else except around the door. I have a feeling the whacked weather stripping and the gap at the side of the door at the belly may be connected to the door sag issue. Maybe they tried to fix the problem by creating the gap or maybe they ignored the cause (gap) and just slapped a bunch of caulk on it.

I have a feeling after checking out the forums that we may be dealing with a few chunks of missing gelcoat all over the place under the house paint. Seems to be common? This may be an issue we tackle when we dismantle the thing and repaint... we'll be doing a bit of structural at that point.

No thoughts on the toilet... we don't have one. We have no water bladder either...


Quote:
Hey Michelle, I just answered your husbands p.m.

From your pictures it looks like someone might have separated the two halves of the trailer partially at one time or other, the two halves on our trailer actually touch there's no gap or maybe an 1/8 of an inch.

Post up some pictures of the complete trailer if you can I'd like to see how close yours is to ours.

BTW, you floor under the door looks pretty good, and no I wouldn't tear into the trailer too far until you are ready to do a complete rebuild because from my experience you are bound to find some hidden surprises
__________________
Michelle GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Rick n's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Posts: 174
Registry
Quote:
On your comments I went and had a look and it turns out there is little or no gap anywhere else except around the door. I have a feeling the whacked weather stripping and the gap at the side of the door at the belly may be connected to the door sag issue. Maybe they tried to fix the problem by creating the gap or maybe they ignored the cause (gap) and just slapped a bunch of caulk on it.

I have a feeling after checking out the forums that we may be dealing with a few chunks of missing gelcoat all over the place under the house paint. Seems to be common? This may be an issue we tackle when we dismantle the thing and repaint... we'll be doing a bit of structural at that point.

No thoughts on the toilet... we don't have one. We have no water bladder either...
Does your beachcomber have the steel bracing sort of wrought iron looking support rails screwed to the inside frame of the door way?

If not I'll post a picture of what they look like.
__________________
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Posts: 13
Quote:
Does your beachcomber have the steel bracing sort of wrought iron looking support rails screwed to the inside frame of the door way?

If not I'll post a picture of what they look like.
Nothing against the guy before me but I'd say a picture would be handy no matter what I've got going on (I'll take a picture of that too, as well as an inside shot of the door showing the top hinge bolted _through_ the wood paneling... here I thought it was just a crazy brace up for the weather stripping.)

It looks like a piece of MDF has also been jammed up in the gap to offer support for something... who knows. But it would be great to know what it's supposed to look like.
__________________
Michelle GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Rick n's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Posts: 174
Registry
Quote:
Nothing against the guy before me but I'd say a picture would be handy no matter what I've got going on (I'll take a picture of that too, as well as an inside shot of the door showing the top hinge bolted _through_ the wood paneling... here I thought it was just a crazy brace up for the weather stripping.)

It looks like a piece of MDF has also been jammed up in the gap to offer support for something... who knows. But it would be great to know what it's supposed to look like.
When I get a free minute I'll post a picture of the doorway metal frame pieces so you can see what they look like.

Also we have the Aluminum Foam cut for the flooring and trial fitted, It looks great if I do say so myself, I'll post some pictures of that too.

Well we're off to the fullsize travel trailer at the trailer park for some sausage and beer and a few laughs with the trailer neighbours talk to you soon.
__________________
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Rick n's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Posts: 174
Registry
Quote:
Nothing against the guy before me but I'd say a picture would be handy no matter what I've got going on (I'll take a picture of that too, as well as an inside shot of the door showing the top hinge bolted _through_ the wood paneling... here I thought it was just a crazy brace up for the weather stripping.)

It looks like a piece of MDF has also been jammed up in the gap to offer support for something... who knows. But it would be great to know what it's supposed to look like.
Michelle,

Here's those pictures I promised of the door bracing.

I'll post pictures of them mounted in the trailer when we get it put back together.
And just a guess but I bet they're a lot stronger than MDF board which in my opinion is the worst building material out there.

You can probably see from the shape of them they match the contour of the trailer doorway and one fits on either side of the doorway, they have about 20 screws when they're installed holding them to the trailer. the effect is they pull the doorway into it's shape and they are very rigid and strong.

I'm quite sure you can make something similar or have something made for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber_002.jpg   Beachcomber_003.jpg  

Beachcomber_004.jpg   Beachcomber_001.jpg  

Beachcomber_005.jpg  
__________________
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Posts: 13
Thanks for the note, my father-in-law makes these sorts of things (kitchen pot hangers mostly) in similar designs. I think he may be up for it. So they create a tiny little porch area inside the door? I'll wait for pics no worries... we are currently just trying to band-aid our way through the very limited time/resources so this will be a while off... still though... I'm saving all these pics for reference. Our closet butts right up against the door so I'm thinking one of these pieces would fit snug against it.

Looks like it would also be handy to hang things from.


While cleaning my tail lights the metal pieces that hold the light bulbs disintegrated.... so I'm off to princess auto to see about some replacements. <Grin> Maybe they will also have an exterior light. Our paint job so far is craptastic but it's better than the house paint and will hopefully cover up some flaws until we are ready to get serious with the epoxy. I'll post pics of our temporary finishes in the next week or so.

I am with you on the .mdf. That bluwood stuff looks awesome though.

M



Quote:
Michelle,

Here's those pictures I promised of the door bracing.

I'll post pictures of them mounted in the trailer when we get it put back together.
And just a guess but I bet they're a lot stronger than MDF board which in my opinion is the worst building material out there.

You can probably see from the shape of them they match the contour of the trailer doorway and one fits on either side of the doorway, they have about 20 screws when they're installed holding them to the trailer. the effect is they pull the doorway into it's shape and they are very rigid and strong.

I'm quite sure you can make something similar or have something made for you.
__________________
Michelle GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Rick n's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Posts: 174
Registry
Quote:
I am with you on the .mdf. That bluwood stuff looks awesome though.

M
As for the Bluwood if Mikey likes it how bad could it be? LOL
I believe it's also available in plywood format too.

Can't wait to see the pictures.
__________________
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Rick n's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Posts: 174
Registry
Well happy to report the Fridge works, and all the bracing boards are cut and test fitted for the floor.

Window slider felts are on order I need to make and install all new propane lines and re-do the wiring but making good progress, going to be picking up the 12 sheets of Sintra or similar product for the walls and ceiling on Monday.

More pictures to come.
__________________
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Rick n's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Posts: 174
Registry
Some pictures of our progress.


The pl premium 300 great stuff.

Then glued down.
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber_011.jpg   Beachcomber_012.jpg  

Beachcomber_014.jpg   Beachcomber_016.jpg  

Beachcomber_018.jpg   Beachcomber_022.jpg  

__________________

__________________
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beachcomber


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help - Vancouver BC - Gutting - Face Call Dawn S Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 08-07-2009 09:23 AM
If you could build a Scamp Kevin K General Chat 17 04-03-2009 01:51 AM
Build your own camper. Roger C H Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 5 10-20-2008 10:29 PM
Build your own Compact III... Cliff General Chat 8 09-17-2008 06:15 PM
What would you build? Legacy Posts General Chat 11 06-01-2003 03:01 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.