Beachcomber TM15 - The build, starting with gutting the inside - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #57

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I took about 25 pictures of some that interrested me most. That cap is enormous. The linc with the pick-up kit was awesome and I finally was able to take you away from holding court long enought to deliver the top. Thanks for the trailer tour I had a great time at the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Truck Show 008.jpg   Ford Truck Show 023.jpg  

Ford Truck Show 026.jpg   Ford Truck Show 025.jpg  

Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #58

Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
I took about 25 pictures of some that interrested me most. That cap is enormous. The linc with the pick-up kit was awesome and I finally was able to take you away from holding court long enought to deliver the top. Thanks for the trailer tour I had a great time at the show.
Happy to hear you had some fun Jim.

Surprising how many fibreglass trailers there was there eh?

Unfortunately because of the rain only about half the normal amount of Trucks showed up but we all had fun anyway.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #59

Registry
Ok it's been busy.

A few more pictures of the progress being made (which has slowed down to a crawl)

These are the pictures of how far we got, it was more than good enough to go to the Ford and Mercury truck show in Arthur Ontario.

The little Blue guy is the trailer Mascot, I also if I didn't mention it earlier left a 1974 Quarter I found in the trailer in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber 003.jpg   Beachcomber 001.jpg  

Beachcomber 002.jpg   Beachcomber 005.jpg  

Beachcomber 007.jpg   Beachcomber 008.jpg  

Beachcomber 013.jpg  
Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #60

Registry
A few more pictures.

I don't expect I'll be making much progress as winter approaches but if time permits I would like to do the brakes or at least get a good look at them.

We got the cabinets up temporarily so we could use it and of course the cushions are just spares we had custom ones will have to be made for next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber 019.jpg   Beachcomber 021.jpg  

Beachcomber 022.jpg   Beachcomber 018.jpg  

Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #61

Registry
Talking Well I finally got some time for the Beachcomber.

I wanted to see why the brakes didn't work, I knew there was no continuity from the wires going into the brake assembly so I thought most likely broken brake magnet wires.

Well my pal and I jacked up the trailer and removed the wheels and brake drums to see what the problem was, guess what everything was there except one of the P.O.s cut the wires to the magnets and removed them completely.

My guess is one of the magnets was bad and instead of replacing them he just cut them out, so next spring I think I'll install new brakes complete and start fresh.

I also got the Beachcomber tarped for the winter, now we patiently wait for next spring.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #62

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
awesome job Rick
Old 10-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #63

Registry
Thanks Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
awesome job Rick
Still quite a ways to go yet but little by little it should turn out to be a great little trailer.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #64

Registry
Talking Well it's getting close.

The little Beachcomber has been all covered up for the winter at the Trailer park we keep our larger campground trailer, luck for me though the new site I have at the trailer park is a big enough site for me to drag the little Beachcomber down to to continue the rebuild, I have so many things still to do but I think over the winter I found a place to buy the original style rear lights at and I can't tell you how that put a smile on my face.

Rick.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #65

Name: Sidney
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber B15
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Rick: I have really enjoyed following your posts re your Beachcomber TM15. Whats the diff. between that and the B15 that I just purchased??
I have been anxiously awaiting some new spring posts. I have probably read your previous ones about 4 or 5 times. They will be very helpfull to me as I attempt to redo my new/old B15.

Squidley
Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #66

Registry
Talking Hey Squidley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidley View Post
Hi Rick: I have really enjoyed following your posts re your Beachcomber TM15. Whats the diff. between that and the B15 that I just purchased??
I have been anxiously awaiting some new spring posts. I have probably read your previous ones about 4 or 5 times. They will be very helpfull to me as I attempt to redo my new/old B15.

Squidley
Thanks for your kind words, as for the differences I think yours may be a newer model and be a little more refined.

As for getting back to the post of the progress on the Beachcomber the campground I have it stored at opens May the 9th and shortly after that i will be hard at it.

I did get a little side tracked because I bought another 1979 Bronco and I've been playing with that.

BTW where are you from Squidley?
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures from camera april,16th 2011 007.jpg   Pictures from camera april,16th 2011 001.jpg  

Pictures from camera april,16th 2011 015.jpg   Pictures from camera april,16th 2011 016.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #67

British Columbia
Registry
Hey Rick: I think I am going to enjoy this. Thanks for your quick response. If you saw my B15 you wouldn't think it's more refined. I hope to take some pics soon. Then I have to learn how to post them.
I need info re: the torsion axle needed as I need to re convert back to torsion. Do you have any floor plans etc. Mine looks diff. than yours.
I am in Grand Forks BC and no one here has ever heard of Bluwood or Aluminum Foam.
When I get a few pics you will see the difference.
I guess my first task will be to strip out the inside, and then to work on the frame and suspension.
I did post more info on the new members forum. Thanks again
Squidley
Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #68

Registry
Talking 77 mine is a 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidley View Post
Hey Rick: I think I am going to enjoy this. Thanks for your quick response. If you saw my B15 you wouldn't think it's more refined. I hope to take some pics soon. Then I have to learn how to post them.
I need info re: the torsion axle needed as I need to re convert back to torsion. Do you have any floor plans etc. Mine looks diff. than yours.
I am in Grand Forks BC and no one here has ever heard of Bluwood or Aluminum Foam.
When I get a few pics you will see the difference.
I guess my first task will be to strip out the inside, and then to work on the frame and suspension.
I did post more info on the new members forum. Thanks again
Squidley
So it looks like yours is really one year older than mine LOL well no matter if you post some pictures I'll help out as best as I can.

The picture posting is a bit daunting at first but once you get the hang of it it becomes quite easy and believe me after you get started on your rebuild you'll learn what hard is, just kidding you'll have a lot of fun I'm sure of it.

Cheers, Rick.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #69

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Rick: Finally got around to getting some pics of my B15. Hope I get them posted OK. As far as I can tell, the unit is much like yours. It had no fridge so I'll need to find one. The pics will tell a lot. I have had to totally gut it.
I also have a whole list of questions. I don't want to take up all your time, but your answers could be very helpful to me.

I'll list my questions before I try the Pic posting.
1. Where did you get the Bluwood?? no one here has heard of it.
2. What dimensions did you use for the floor?? 1 x 3" (3/4 x 2 1/2) ?
3.When you cut a board, how did you reseal the cut ends?
4. When rebuilding, did you leave the furnace out. On you pics, it looks like you did.
5. Did you change the table/bed arrangement from lengthwise to crosswise?
6. The aluminum foam sounds like a great idea. Where did you purchase it and what is the cost?
7. Note on the pics, my B15 sits very high. The torsion axle has been changed to a sprung axle. I need to lower it at least 6 inches. Does your unit still have the torsion axle? If yes, does it have a number. What is the weight capacity and what is the starting angle?? I have been told by an RV shop to just get a 6" drop axle and install it upside down. Unless it was specially built, wouldn't that make the camber angle wrong? Also, a sprung axle needs to be mounted 5 - 6 inches further back than a torsion axle which has a 6" arm. Does this not move the fulcrum point back and therefore put more weight on the TV hitch?? A drop axle would be considerably less costly.
Thanks again for your help, and if anyone else out there can shed light on these matters I would be pleased to hear from you.

Sorry, I'm struggling with the picture posting, so will send this and try again with the pics.

Squidley
Old 05-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #70

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Rick: I will try those pics again.

Squidley
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01629.jpg   DSC01630.jpg  

DSC01631.jpg   DSC01635.jpg  

DSC01636.jpg   DSC01640.jpg