Bed extensions? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #15

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
I'm not sure, but I'll see if i can get in there and shoot so you can see. I think what would work better, if I measure the brackets and how far in from the edge they are. I will try and draw a schematic and see if I can post it on here.
Be back to you in a couple of days.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Thanks! I've read your directions, but can't picture it. (And I'm such a visual learner!)

Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #17

Ontario
Registry
Without tearing it all apart, I can't get at it to take anything other than the pics I have. What I can try is to draw the diagram and if you still can't see it, perhaps you have someone in your circle who is a "handyman/woman" who might help.
I'll post it as soon as I get it done.
V
Old 07-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #18

Georgia
Registry
Vivian - this is the part I can't picture: "then screwed one angle piece (the stuff with the holes in it) with the upright edge facing the seats, about 1 1/2 " in from the side so the table could still sit down into the lip. Once it was on and checked, then I bolt the second piece to the first piece to form a "c" or "u". That's your channel."

The angle iron I envision is a flat bracket that holds two pieces of wood together (maybe 1/8" thick) so I don't see how screwing two of them flat onto a piece of wood forms a channel to slide the extension into. Also, the piece I imagine doesn't have an upright edge. Anyone else see what she's doing?
Old 07-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I did some thinking and took some measurements and really think this bed extension thing is being over-thought, over-engineered, and over-built. I think something as simple as a piece of ¾” plywood an inch or so deeper than table and as wide as can fit down the “hallway” of the trailer with some 1”X4” feet that reach the floor is about that is needed. In the stowed position the extension hangs out over the existing (lowered) table the feet reach all the way to the lower floor of the trailer. My observations of my Scamp indicate this will not interfere (much) with the opening of any cabinets or the refrigerator. To use, pick up slightly on the extension and pull it out until it reaches the desired length. I have not done it yet but it looks like there is enough clearance where the factory table is rounded and the rear dinette seats are angled to allow some additional angle brackets supporting the 1X4” legs as their attachment to the extension is the weak point in my design. At this point I am just hoping that I have need of the additional space some day for an as yet undetermined bed companion.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #20

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
I built a bed extension that was removable; (pictures were on another post), it was perfect. we had very expensive 3' x 3' foam cut into 1' x 3' pieces for storage. It was still, a pain for my wife to make the transition to go up front to use the potty. The removable platform had legs that folded up very flat it was still almost 3' x 3' with adjustment to fit cabinets, it was put on top of, bed when traveling. It was leaned against trailer when stopping at camping area, or into tug. It was very comfortable but, my wife still hated it. I was awakened regardless, I have put it in storage and gone back to the original Bigfoot setup. It was very nice, but there were tears, leaking out of eyes rather, than tears of laughter.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #21

Ontario
Registry
It's not angle brackets, it's angle iron strips. I am heading to the hardware store today so I'll get the correct "technical" term for the stuff because who knows what it's really called. I imagine I can actually take my camera and take a picture of it.
I originally thought I could use "c" channelling but couldn['t figure out how to get my screwdriver in there to attach it. That's why I actually built my own in the two pieces. Just give me a day to get it together.
v
Old 07-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #22

Ontario
Registry
It's called angle iron strapping, and you can get it in different lengths. I bought 4 of them 4' long.
Here is a picture from the Home Hwdr catalogue of what the stuff looks like.
You can see that if you bolt two pieces together it forms a square cornered "c" channel.
Hope this helps.
v
Attached Thumbnails
img001.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #23

Ontario
Registry
The second image may help more. I used the bottom stuff. You don't need the heavy duty wider strapping shown on the top of image #2. let me know if this makes more sense.
v
Old 07-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #24

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Vivian,

Does one piece "spoon" into the other? You match up the holes on the bottom of the strips which gives you space for something to slip down the middle?

Hang in there....we'll get it. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #25

Georgia
Registry
Vivian - I got your idea. All you did is screw the angle iron straps onto the bottom of the table, so you could slide your extend-a-bed wood under the table (somewhere I was thinking it was attached to the seat sides). Timber Wolf's idea is similar, but instead of storing under the table - his would slide between the table and the foam.
I may look into this idea. We purchased a Southern Mattress from a fellow camper (they didn't want a full time bed). So I'll need to find / make a thick cushion that matches the height of the SM. It may be hard to get out of bed when you sleep front to back, but I don't think the inside sleeper gets a break getting out of bed either. Besides - getting out of bed is a one time thing each day. Sleeping lasts a whole lot longer! :-)
Old 07-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #26

Ontario
Registry
I have done a drawing of sorts, and hopefully all this helps. yes you have to slide down to the bottom of the bed to get out, but we found it a whole lot easier than waking each other up and we both seem to "p" a lot at night but never at the same time. It also is a lot cooler in the summer when you can leave some room between each other. Once I made the mattress extension, I found I couldn't open the closet door till "lazy bones" got up so I cut the door just above that height and made it into two doors. Works wonderfully. Good luck.
Vivian
Attached Thumbnails
img002.jpg  
Old 07-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian Layne-Parkin View Post
I have done a drawing of sorts, and hopefully all this helps. yes you have to slide down to the bottom of the bed to get out, but we found it a whole lot easier than waking each other up and we both seem to "p" a lot at night but never at the same time. It also is a lot cooler in the summer when you can leave some room between each other. Once I made the mattress extension, I found I couldn't open the closet door till "lazy bones" got up so I cut the door just above that height and made it into two doors. Works wonderfully. Good luck.
Vivian
" but never at the same time"

That's a good thing actually....................LOL
Old 07-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #28

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Vivian, that "angle iron strapping" is commonly called "Dexion" after the company that makes it. It is used primarily to make warehouse type shelving. Very versatile stuff. Thx for trying so hard to explain how you used it.

Tom