Bed extensions? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #57

Name: Mark
Trailer: Curently Shopping
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Back to the drawing board...what about 1/2" plywood with PVC legs that could be screwed onto a fitting for setup using a male adapter and flange? I wonder if the plywood would be strong enough to carry 300#s without the addition of side rails for structural support? Also, could you divide the 24" X 24" plywood into two sections and join them in the center with a piano hinge to make it easier to store away during the day? Humm....
Bill,
For your 91 Scamp, how wide did the foot area (dinette to kitchen?) turn out to be? I was told the Casitas are 24" wide, but the space in some Scamp photos looked to be wider than that. Was it really just 24"? Anyway, it's good that you guys found it to be wide enough for comfort.
About your proposed revisions: I'm pretty sure 1/2" plywood would not be sufficiently stiff if the legs were just screwed onto the corners and 300 lbs plopped in the middle (and that's what you have to plan for). But two or three pieces of 6" w by 1" thick board (5 1/2" x 3/4" actual) screwed and glued to the bottom of the plywood would stiffen it up a lot and give you something meaty to affix the PVC leg fittings to. If you want to get fancy you could put one of those pieces in the middle and rip it in half after it is glued and screwed to the plywood, then attach your piano hinge to the underside of that. If you use a piano hinge then you can fold it in half, but the weight will still be in one lump. If the weight is proving to be a hindrance, you could instead design something that could be "broken down" (i.e. using a few carriage bolts and wing nuts) then it could still be stored in a small place but it might be easier to lift.

Notice: I am not a structural engineer, am just offering uninformed opinion, and did not even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. Test anything with something other than the weight of real people!

Mark

Old 05-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #58

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
next crazy idea

Ok, stay with me for a minute; we have enjoyed using the dinette area without the table as a area to lounge and read or just hang out, without the table in place. I've taken the table outside and leaned it against the side of the scamp when we do this and the feeling of much larger space is nice.

I propose to retain the ability to remove the table from the dinette but retain the functionality of the original table and mount points with the following idea. We need to replace our dinette table because it's absorbed some moisture and the laminate is coming apart as the particle board swells.

I would replace the original dinette table with 5/8" plywood (maybe 3/4" or whatever dimension fits the slot to match the original thickness table) and use the original mounting column for use during the day.

At night, remove the column and end turn the table top to expose the end normally against the rear wall under the window to show this bracket. Attach half that bracket to the dinette table and the other half to another piece of plywood 24" X 34" for the bed extension. (You may have to provide some additional support under the bracket for the bed extension to attach.)

Support this new bed extension with a four legged table base in the isle built from 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe, built to size that is approximately 12" W X 12" L X 19" H, placed near the end of the bed extension away from the dinette table. This four legged table support can be stored in the shower closet during the day and used as a trash receptacle employing a "tall kitchen trash bag" and deployed at night under the bed extension. (The legs of the support table could remain removable, if desired, to allow you to store flat if you didn't want to use it as a trash receptacle.) I suppose that you could actually build the support table much larger to provide support to the extension and just knock it down during the table for a more secure base: 18" W X 24" L X 19" H

This new idea is much less expensive. Also, a lot lighter weight and easier to manufacture as well as easier for anyone to deploy/store away.

To answer your previous question: the isle way is about 30" wide. I used 24" wide in my original design simply because I already had a piece of plywood that size.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #59

Name: Mark
Trailer: Curently Shopping
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
I would replace the original dinette table with 5/8" plywood (maybe 3/4" or whatever dimension fits the slot to match the original thickness table) and use the original mounting column for use during the day.

At night, remove the column and end turn the table top to expose the end normally against the rear wall under the window to show this bracket.
Since the tabletop can't simply be pivoted around on the top of the column (the corners would hit the wall), you'd need to detach the tabletop from the wall and lift it up/out to rotate it. It will be heavy and awkward, I think you may find it a bit of a pain in the, um, back.
A very simple approach to this whole issue would be to find a >sturdy< plastic bin (the kind used for curbside recycling, or a couple of commercial milk crate-style containers) that are the right height to support your table extension (or, if they are a bit short, use extruded polystyrene foam (aka pink insulation board) as needed between these bins and your extension board so it exactly matches the height of the edge of your big table. These bins can be used to hold supplies/clothes--slide 'em under the table when traveling, when at rest and during the day put 'em in your tow vehicle if no good place exists in the trailer, then at night just position them in the right place and use them to support your bed extension board (or boards) on top. That bracket you found, mounted on the edge of the the full-size table and on the extension parts, could be used to securely mount the extension table(s) to the big table to prevent them from coming apart. Or, you could permanently mount the extension table to the dining table with a piano hinge, fold it under the table in the daytime.

Mark
Old 05-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #60

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Sam: I believe you have a firm grasp of what I intend to try to fabricate. The table top must be lifted from the column and place into position to create the bed anyway, so rotating it 180 to put the bracket facing the cabin of the camper seems like a natural to me. I'll try to get some pictures after I've worked this out but it'll take a few days to assemble the components. Stay tuned...
Old 05-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #61

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Bill (Laura?), I'm very interested as my table is one of the last things I need to make in my Boler. The extension seems to be a must in order to sleep with my beloved instead of being at a different end of the trailer... I'll let you do the research and development and, then, I'll use your idea!

So thank you beforehand!