Bed extensions? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Triple E Surfside
Question Bed extensions?

I'm sure of seen some modifications of the rear dinette in 13' trailers on here but I'm struggling with the search tonight.

I'm looking to increase the space on my Surfside rear dinette bed - ideas??

Old 04-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
I'm sure of seen some modifications of the rear dinette in 13' trailers on here but I'm struggling with the search tonight.

I'm looking to increase the space on my Surfside rear dinette bed - ideas??
Here's a mod which we made for our 13 Scamp just for fun, it works well but we already have the wide bed so we don't really use it.
We used our old table to extend the bed into the "hallway" between the cabinettes. It slept like a kingsized bed and set up easy....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0090.JPG  

Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp 16 Custom Deluxe
Washington
Registry
Floyd, did you use the existing side dinette table? What did you use to support it? Did you attach the extension to the main dinette table?

Our bed is only 44" wide and your type of extension is the only solution I can see as feasible.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #4

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
Floyd, did you use the existing side dinette table? What did you use to support it? Did you attach the extension to the main dinette table?

Our bed is only 44" wide and your type of extension is the only solution I can see as feasible.
My Scamp is a 13 deluxe witha 54" wide bed/dinette which I converted to a wraparound couch (see photo).
I made the "king" bed by simply taking the original table and shortening the leg to match the height of the bed, then installing it instead of the pedestal table top shown below to make the bed...
Attached Thumbnails
Pic010.JPG   Pic011.JPG  

Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #5

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
We did an extension on our bed in a 13' boler by installing a slide-out 3/4' plywood "shelf" under the original table. We just lowered the table onto the lips it was designed to rest on. Took off the folding leg (we made a little table out of the couch at the front end), installed two "c" rails and voila! We added a folding leg to the extension on the kitchen side and when we pull it out it rests on our food box which sits under the cupboard door and which I made to be the right height. A small foam mattress for the extension and we have a queen size bed really. We can pull the extension out as far as we want but just made the little mattress only as big as we needed.
In the day time, we flip the bedding up onto the main bed, toss the little mattress up there (cat loves to sit up on it and look out), slide the extension back under the bed and we are back to normal.
With one dog and one cat sleeping with us, the regular bed just didn't cut it and this also works better because one person can get up in the night without disturbing the other one.
I can take a couple of pics if you'd like.
Bizzian
Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Here's a pic or two of the bed extension in the 13' boler.
Attached Thumbnails
#4 bed extension out.jpg   #5 little mattress on extension ready to flip down bedding.jpg  

Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #7

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
We don't need our bed extended, but rotated so we don't have to step on each other in the night.

I'm thinking about installing dual slide outs on the back, big enough for our feet so we can sleep lengthwise. I think I can reprogram the TV remote to operate these things, but there is probably nothing to be done about the weirdness factor. We could call it the "Dagmar" version of the Burro.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
My eyes are leaking Per
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
We don't need our bed extended, but rotated so we don't have to step on each other in the night.

I'm thinking about installing dual slide outs on the back, big enough for our feet so we can sleep lengthwise. I think I can reprogram the TV remote to operate these things, but there is probably nothing to be done about the weirdness factor. We could call it the "Dagmar" version of the Burro.
I guess bed extention is probably the wrong wording because we actually turned our sleeping positions around, from "side to side" and now sleep "end to end". Well not actually end to end because we aren't that tall but you get the idea. It's only our feet that go out into the hall and it works well. I never worry about the weirdness factor if things work.
I saw one boler where somebody had cut out the rear and did the flip-out tent thing out there, I assume for a big bed, but what a lot of work and now you're back to sleeping under canvas so what's the point.
A friend of ours has an old bus he converted and he actually has a remote installation to raise his bed up to the ceiling!!! When he lowers it at night, it rests on the arms of the couch and two chairs!! so your TV remote idea isn't quite so far fetched after all. Unfortunately his bus is higher than my boler but he still has to duck to go sit on the couch to watch TV.
Bizzian
Old 05-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #10

Name: Stinson
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Hi Bizzian,
We are new to our Scamp and looking to do something similar for more room. Unfortunately we are not too handy. Do you happen to have any other pictures without the bedding so we can get a better idea how you did this?

Thanks!
Mat
Old 05-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
13 feet is just barely long enough to sleep end to end?
Right?

j/k
Old 05-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #12

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinsonMathews View Post
Hi Bizzian,
We are new to our Scamp and looking to do something similar for more room. Unfortunately we are not too handy. Do you happen to have any other pictures without the bedding so we can get a better idea how you did this?

Thanks!
Mat
Hi Mat: I have a couple more pictures which may help but if you check back a few posts, you'll also find the description of what I did. I called them "c" channels which they were not. What I used was angle iron bolted together after I put one on the underside of the table and bolted the second one to it to form a "c" channel. Made screwing that first one on some easier. The support legs at the front fold up underneath. I got locking gate-leg hinges and attached them to the table and to 2x2 legs so the extension is very stable. I'll go back and check my directions and see if there's anything I can add.
Attached Thumbnails
folding leg brace.jpg   bed extension board retracted.jpg  

bed extension mattress and made up..jpg   bed with extension shoved in underneath.jpg  

Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #13

Ontario
Registry
I took the dining table off, removed the hardware underneath, then screwed one angle piece (the stuff with the holes in it) with the upright edge facing the seats, about 1 1/2 " in from the side so the table could still sit down into the lip. Once it was on and checked, then I bolt the second piece to the first piece to form a "c" or "u". That's your channel. then I just cut 3/4 plywood the proper width, siliconed the edges to make it slide easier. Turned the table back right side up, set it into the lips and basically you are done.
Put some kind of legs underneath, I liked the gate-leg style so they could fold up underneath but be locked when down. Your local hardware guy may have a better suggestion. Then I put the little handle on the end to make it easier to pull out. The mattress was h/d foam I cut to size and made a cover and a little sheet just for it.
Have fun.
V
Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Another picture of those angle brackets would be terrific. I like this idea (and have started hating our small bed in the 13' scamp). Anything to make it sleep like a larger bed would be good.