Bed height - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Registry
Bed height

I removed the bathroom in my Trillium and installed a front dinette that can convert into a bed. I did this because (1) I don't care about the resale as I will never sell it and I know that is a lot of responses people have when I mention it. (2) I am pretty lazy and do not want to have to set the bed in the rear into a table every morning. Or at all for that fact. I was curious if anyone has raised the rear bed height for any reason. Such as more storage? Or just to have a higher bed. Any thoughts? Randy
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Raising the bed to gain storage underneath isn't a bad idea, especially if you're rebuilding the bed anyway. You might even be able to hinge it to lift up like the bigger rv beds do.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am looking to raise the bed in my Casita to gain storage.
I am thinking of the type I see on Navy ships where the mattress lifts up and there is a 6 inch or so open area under there for clothes,etc.
On a lot of ships this is the only storage available I hear and otherwise wasted space for me?

I wanted to do it over the winter but was working out of town and camping too much.....need to get my priorities straight,not likely!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I am thinking of the type I see on Navy ships where the mattress lifts up and there is a 6 inch or so open area under there for clothes,etc.
On a lot of ships this is the only storage available I hear and otherwise wasted space for me?
I am unaware of updates to this configuration since I retired from the military in 1994, but in addition to the "Bunk Locker" we had a narrow 9" x 36" x 24" vertical locker to store hanging items, such as Pea Coats and Jackets. The Bunk Locker was 76" x 30" and divided into 5 compartments and had a small Drawer in the center one that was accessible without lifting the lid with the mattress on it.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I am unaware of updates to this configuration since I retired from the military in 1994, but in addition to the "Bunk Locker" we had a narrow 9" x 36" x 24" vertical locker to store hanging items, such as Pea Coats and Jackets. The Bunk Locker was 76" x 30" and divided into 5 compartments and had a small Drawer in the center one that was accessible without lifting the lid with the mattress on it.
Cool.
How deep would you say it was Fred?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
I removed the bathroom in my Trillium and installed a front dinette that can convert into a bed. I did this because (1) I don't care about the resale as I will never sell it and I know that is a lot of responses people have when I mention it. (2) I am pretty lazy and do not want to have to set the bed in the rear into a table every morning. Or at all for that fact. I was curious if anyone has raised the rear bed height for any reason. Such as more storage? Or just to have a higher bed. Any thoughts? Randy
One has to be careful when adding more storage space behind the axle. Adding weight back there will increase sway tendencies.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
One has to be careful when adding more storage space behind the axle. Adding weight back there will increase sway tendencies.
I dont think I will be storing anything that will add enough weight to make a difference. I have also seen where people mounted boxes even further back on the bumpers for storage and havent heard of any problems with swaying. Anyone have this problem with swaying and extra weight? Francesca? Maybe? Randy
Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
I dont think I will be storing anything that will add enough weight to make a difference. I have also seen where people mounted boxes even further back on the bumpers for storage and havent heard of any problems with swaying. Anyone have this problem with swaying and extra weight? Francesca? Maybe? Randy

Believe it or not those rear boxes greatly increase the tendency for sway. It can be masked with an anti-sway bar, but it's still there. I'm glad you won't be adding much weight to the rear of your trailer.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #9

Registry
Cool Anchors Aweigh, My Boys!

Quote:
Cool.
How deep would you say it was Fred?
My memory is that the Bunk Locker was about the same depth as the coat locker was wide. I found this in a Google search:
Navy Bunks on the USS Midway | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
While that picture was taken aboard an aircraft carrier, the Berthing Compartment shown is the same as what I experienced on the Destroyers and Frigates I served on.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #10

Registry
Cool Another Google search result

View of an open Bunk Locker
Old 05-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
That would be VERY handy for clothing! I'm trying to figure out how to store clothes without having to keep them in a duffle or suitcase. I guess the tow vehicle would work and just hope it's not raining when you need clean skivvies, LOL! Also, bulky bath towels.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #12

My impression is that on some ships they even have to share these bunks?
Just something about calling them "Coffin" bunks may make it tough to get sleeping but easy to STAY asleep?

Melissa,you will be surprised by the T@B storage I have a feeling. I can't really figure it out but there seems to be more storage than I have seen before in such a small space.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
My impression is that on some ships they even have to share these bunks?
Only on Submarines where space is extremely limited. The practice is called "Hot Bunking".
Since generally at least 1/3 of the crew is awake operating the boat at any hour, they have downsized the berthing space accordingly.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #14

Massachusetts
Registry
Looks like the "Bunk Locker" is a great solution. I will try to work on making one when I get a chance. Thanks Randy
Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Storage

The foot well under the rear bed in our Trillium measures 28"x13.5"x36". We found that two 60 quart storage containers fit well. One for me one for my wife for clothes. I pop riveted two straps to mine so it can be pulled out. We keep the rear bed set up all the time and use the front dinette for eating, playing cards, etc.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Believe it or not those rear boxes greatly increase the tendency for sway. It can be masked with an anti-sway bar, but it's still there. I'm glad you won't be adding much weight to the rear of your trailer.
I had a rear storage box on my Boler and had no problems at all with sway, which I attributed to towing very slightly down and making sure we had enough tongue weight.

I think that a tendency to sway depends mostly on your tongue weight. Adding weight behind the axle can increase sway if it reduces your tongue weight below the recommended 10 - 15 percent of overall weight. However, if you take care to make sure the tongue weight is not too light, then you should not see any increase in sway, all else being equal.

Sway also is more likely if you tow high, that is with the hitch high enough that the trailer is tilted toward the rear. You should ideally tow level, or else with the trailer nose slightly down rather than up.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
I had a rear storage box on my Boler and had no problems at all with sway, which I attributed to towing very slightly down and making sure we had enough tongue weight.

I think that a tendency to sway depends mostly on your tongue weight. Adding weight behind the axle can increase sway if it reduces your tongue weight below the recommended 10 - 15 percent of overall weight. However, if you take care to make sure the tongue weight is not too light, then you should not see any increase in sway, all else being equal.

Sway also is more likely if you tow high, that is with the hitch high enough that the trailer is tilted toward the rear. You should ideally tow level, or else with the trailer nose slightly down rather than up.

Rick G
I saw a demonstration a few years ago where they had the weight over the axles then moved the weights to front and back. The tongue weight didn't change, but the speed at which uncontrolled sway happened was much much lower. You're right that with too little weight on the tongue the speed at which sway happens is very low.
Note what I was saying speed/sway. There's a direct link. All trailers will go into sway at some speed. The trick is to keep that point high and your towing speed low. When ever you add weight to the rear even though you add weight to front to compensate you've still lowered the speed at which sway happens.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #18

Massachusetts
Registry
I have been busy but have been camping a little... I haven't had a chance to build a locker yet. But I did put a full sized mattress right on top of the cushions on the rear dinette. I have to say it was the best sleep I have had yet. With the cushions I could feel where the cushions came together... The feel of a real mattress. And the added height made getting in and out so much easier. No box spring. Just the mattress. I think I can take out the cushions since I won't be making the bed into a dinette since I added the front dinette... It is still amazing to me how much room there are in these little eggs. Mine is a 4500 and bigger than the 1300 but plenty of room to sleep.. stand..move around...eat.. ect Randy
Old 09-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #19

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Byron, you mentioned sway. We had the gaucho and backrest/topbunk removed along with the fiberglass sofa frame. In it's stead we had a wood floor installed (to attach the new 2-person dinette seats and table). It's the same size as the plywood that was in the backrest. Naturally there is also the 2x2" wood framing for the two seats, the table top (will drop down to make single bed) and pedestal base. I doubt there is more than 40-50 lbs of added weight. We will have the Thetford 135 toilet under one of the new seats but will not have any water in it when in transit.

Do we need to worry about adding weight / stuff elsewhere in the trailer to offset this added weight. (We have no battery on the hitch nor do we plan to add one to the battery box.)

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote