bed mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
bed mod

I have a 13' Bigfoot. I wished the bed was wider. reading threads about what others have done I thought I would give it a try. The base or floor of the bed extension is 3/4" plywood sanded down to 1/2". std. 1/2" is what I wanted. ( it came from a cabinet shop, and that is what they had available, the dark area is the glue between layers, not sanded away) the feet came from a damaged sewing table with fold up legs, I cut them to length; measuring the height of the existing ledge to support the table top. here are some pictures. I ordered some foam from a foam supply company out of San Francisco. Haven't received it yet.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #2

Utah
these are some pictures, Kenny
Attached Thumbnails
0510121920.jpg   0510121919.jpg  

0510121913.jpg   0510121910.jpg  

Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I like that, simple yet it looks effective.
Where do you plan to stow it when you want the floor space? Will it slip under the table?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #4

Utah
I thought I would just set the extension outside next to a chair, it then becomes a table to support a beer glass and chips, it is too wide to fit under the existing table.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We used a small folding camp stool and a board to do the same thing in a school bus conversion. Extended a bench seat by 18 inches if we needed that bed but ALWAYS saw use as a drinks and snack table

Looks like you can sleep lengthwise now. Nice.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Thanks Kenny, I'm going to look for a damaged sewing table/lightweight folding legs in my night before garbage pickup tours. We have the same issue in our BF. Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
As long as either one has very cold feet this would work.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A 13' trailer with a 17' bed. Good solution. I missed it when it was first posted. Glad it resurfaced. Thanks for sharing. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Nice job, it looks like it will work great.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong
I have a 13' Bigfoot. I wished the bed was wider. reading threads about what others have done I thought I would give it a try. The base or floor of the bed extension is 3/4" plywood sanded down to 1/2". std. 1/2" is what I wanted. ( it came from a cabinet shop, and that is what they had available, the dark area is the glue between layers, not sanded away) the feet came from a damaged sewing table with fold up legs, I cut them to length; measuring the height of the existing ledge to support the table top. here are some pictures. I ordered some foam from a foam supply company out of San Francisco. Haven't received it yet.
I may be wrong, but the dark area sure looks like s cat to me:-)
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #11

Utah
thanks Dave,,,I wondered what that black thing in the picture was!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #12

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I'm wondering if you use your bed extension when the furnace is on? I would be concerned about igniting the bedcovers.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #13

Utah
Hi Hazel
the furnace is quite hot,,,to the touch,,,but my wife and I sleep in a connected sleeping bag that is too wide for the space between the furnace and the pantry, so we fold both sides of the ends of the sleeping bag inward it is away from the furnace outlet to let the air pass beside it. the cold air return is below the support platform. the sleeping bag has come in contact with the furnace outlet at times and it has not become very hot. I can put my hand on the furnace outlet and in is uncomfortable, but I feel it would not ignite fabric if I held it against it. I will give it a try.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #14

Ontario
A small screen guard about 4 inches out from furnace might be the (safe) answer.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #15

Utah
Thumbs up

thanks Ron I think that is a perfect solution.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #16

Ontario
ATTACHING PHOTOS TO FIBERGLASS RV SITE
Scroll down and click to “GO ADVANCE”
Click on the PAPER CLIP.
Click on BROUSE (go to your pictures and select a picture, double click on it) if you want another picture click again on BROUSE and repeat process.
When all picture are selected (4) click on “UPLOAD”
WAIT till uploading is finished.
Close this window and you will return to Thread.
Click on the PAPER CLIP , click on insert, you will see only the text for pict, you can add text notes at this time.
When ready to send you can preview (click on PREVIEW POST.) if all OK click on SUBMIT REPLY and that should be it.
HOPE THIS HELPS ….
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #17

Utah
Smile Bed extension

My wife, and I, just took a 6 week trip, from Ut. to the east coast down into Virgina,then up thru D.C. into N.Y. and Connecticut, Left N.Y. and N.J. as the waves were starting to crash along the shores. went over to Buffalo and Niagara Falls. into Ontario, back into the USA then home by the northern route. We have a Electra glide Harley. so we had to go to the Harley museum in Milwaukee Wisconsin. then home. We decided that the bed extension, made it very problematic (to use the Dometic toilet). there is only about a foot of space at the end of the extension; if there was a rush in the morning (with my companion), and the campground bathroom was to far away,I would get up, while she sat up in the std. bed area. I would take the bed extension down, set it outside, throw the sleeping bag bottom up onto the std. bed area. I would pull the toilet out from under the front seating/bed. I have thought about this and decided we can go back to the original sleeping method with about a foot extension; where knees or a rear end could be extended! All will be good!

lATER kENNY
Old 03-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Kenny, I love your idea! I have placed a large plastic storage tote with thick patio cushions on top to attempt the same thing! It works pretty good and the box doubles as storage. It then has a third use as a coffee table when the bed is made up! Since you felt your platform table left too little room for the porta potty, did you ever shorten it? If so can you post an updated photo? I'd love to see it!
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote