Bed modifications - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #1

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Bed modifications

How do I modify my 13' scamp bed to a pedestal table style? I am at a loss! If you change to a smaller table, what holds the mattress in place and how do you attach the pedestal table? I have the standard floor plan with couch in the front.

Emily
pageleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If it were me doing this modification. I would get a piece of plywood the size of the origional scamp table and split it in half. then mount the 2 pieces with a piano hinge. that way your table top will be half the size but twice as thick. When you take down the table then you just unfold the top. The brackets for the pedistal top and floor mounts are available at any RV supply. The post comes in various lengths so you will have to decide how high you want your table. You cannot cut down the posts so make sure you get the lenght you want before purchase. Do not tow with the table up as a bad bump is likely to rip the table out of the floor.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Emily, we are on our second 13' Scamp in a 20 year period. Our present Scamp had a small table/bed surface, and a second piece to be used for the bed. This worked fine for short trips. The small table really makes the Scamp feel larger, and allows us to sit on the benches and bend over to put our shoes on without the table being in the way. When we set out for a 2 month trip, I did not want to have to pack & unpack the bed piece every night & morning, so I had made up a table/bed surface like Steve suggested, with a hinged top, but continue to use the Scamp table hardware to swing the surface up/down from bed to table (much easier than needing to apply/remove and stow table legs). I used a drawer slide for table top support when we use the table in the larger form. Just food for thought.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01170.jpg   DSC01171.jpg  

DSC01172.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
In addition, I suggest you look up "trailer table modifications" on the Web where you will find a bunch of ideas.

I once saw an idea that involved removing the table. A boxlike seat was built in between the dinette seats at the back, forming a U-shape seating area. The rest of the well space had boards that formed a variety of configurations that included a snack table or a space to prop up your feet. When the well was filled with the boards you could make up the bed as usual. I think they had a folding table when they wanted a higher table in the middle. Sorry, I could not find the link on the Web.
Happy Camping!
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageleigh View Post
How do I modify my 13' scamp bed to a pedestal table style? I am at a loss! If you change to a smaller table, what holds the mattress in place and how do you attach the pedestal table? I have the standard floor plan with couch in the front.

Emily
like this...
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 009.jpg   scamp pictures 010.jpg  

scamp pictures 015.jpg   scamp pictures 018.jpg  

scamp pictures 020.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote