Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Thanks, Ken. This is very useful. These diagrams do, however, imply that the arms remain affixed to the shell when in transit. Would you agree?
On standard roll-up awnings (like the Carefree Fiesta) the arms stay affixed to the shell.

On Bag (or Case) awnings the arms fold up and store in the Bag (or Case)

Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #30

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by khite View Post
Hi folks,

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about awnings, and I was wondering if folks have been the happiest with Carefree of Colorado, Trim-Line (Dometic), or Shademaster bag awning products. I love the colors offered by Carefree, but want something well made and approved of by fellow eggs owners.

It will be placed on a 1971 13' Boler.

Pics would be amazing if you are willing to share.

Thanks!

Kathy
Here are a couple of pictures of our Trimline awning on (formerly) our 1973 LoveBug. It was low priced, solid and reliable. It's a 7fter.
These come in 7ft through 12ft lengths.....

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-awning/20025d
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_0.JPEG   06_30_1.jpg  

Old 02-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #31

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
so... it sounds like the best option is a Carefree Fiesta. I like the idea of having a screened in area with a tent type set up (plus it's cheaper) but.... the Carefree awning sounds like it would last longer & be less of a hassle.
Carefree Fiesta does not come in lengths shorter than 12' now. Unless you plan to modify it yourself, it is no longer an option for most eggs. These things contain a powerful spring, much like a garage door opener, and if you don't know what you are doing, messing with one could result in serious injury.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #32

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pindraak View Post
Carefree Fiesta does not come in lengths shorter than 12' now. Unless you plan to modify it yourself, it is no longer an option for most eggs. These things contain a powerful spring, much like a garage door opener, and if you don't know what you are doing, messing with one could result in serious injury.
Thanks, Ken; I should have mentioned that my tube came untensioned, as I think most new ones do. Winding is achieved after installation by opening/closing the awning. Certainly one should check for stored tension (release lever) before taking the tube apart, or handling it at all if it's off the RV. Complete installation instructions come with the setup, and I'd be happy to share mine with anyone who finds a secondhand unit and wants to install it at home.
As for Carefree not selling shorter tubes anymore: this is the same story Carefree gave me when I first decided to go with the pulldown awning (three plus years ago). That's why I had to buy my hardware from Trillium Canada. There has to have been a major reorganization over the last year or so, since I can't find the site anymore, but as recently as last summer their site offered a number of Trillium parts, including the awning I describe. It doesn't really matter in this case, since the smaller "Outback" (really a 12ft. Trillium in drag) at Travel Trailer Parts, Outback Parts, RV Trailer Parts, Replacement Parts | Trillium Trailers is shown with an awning identical to the one I installed except for the fabric. You can even see the "standoff blocks" at the base of the arms. (Side note: not to brag, but I think my install looks better than theirs. Mine completely clears, and perfectly aligns with the edge of, the back window!) If you click on "major suppliers" on that page, the list that pops up contains a link to Carefree's website. Maybe they're not calling it a "Fiesta" anymore, but they're certainly still making a pulldown awning my size, and smaller. Maybe one can buy this setup from Outback.
Although I may be wrong, I seem to recall a reluctance on Carefree's part to sell directly to the consumer, but if anyone is interested in trying that route I'll see if I can find a Model number on the awning arms. They're really the only part of the setup specific to this application. The tube really is generic and, at least compared to all the cutting, hacking, welding, and general remodeling mayhem I'm delightedly reading about in these pages, no challenge at all to safely cut down if you have to!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #33

Wisconsin
I'm still hoping the A&E Trim Line works out. After tearing my Sunburst off yesterday and seeing what a monster it really is, I like the light, minimal look of the Trim Line almost as much as the price. I might buy a pop-up as well, later on, with a screen, for different sorts of use.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #34

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Hi there.. I'm back with my decision...

The chosen awning is a Shademaker Ultra Supreme Bag awning. Because Shademaker is only able to do smaller lengths in the Classic model, I asked if they could do a custom size for me so I could gain all the benefits of the Supreme. Not only was the company I was working with willing to do that, but they offered to make me a custom ULTRA supreme bag awning which is their new baby/wave of awning. I went for it. It will be 7' wide and extend out 6' (which is smaller than others). This awning will attach back to my Boler much like a roll up awning would.

This company is excited about their new creation and I promised to share with the Fiberglass community. Of course, I will check in again after it has been installed and have had a chance to see how it truly functions. My egg reno is due for completion the early part of June. Here is a picture of the prototype attached to a van so you get the gist. Basic Shademaker color choices were available - they were able to do it solid white for me.... I am a minimalist... what can I say.

Kathy
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0917.jpg  
Old 04-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #35

Wisconsin
My A&E Trimline did not work out. On my Bigfoot, it hangs down too low and interferes with the door. The only workaround I could come up with would be to put cleats above it on the roof to tie it up out of the way, which means even more holes and using a ladder to deploy or stow it.

I think I am giving up on an awning and going with a free-standing canopy. The bonus is that I can remove the rail, epoxy up all those screw holes and increase aerodynamics and water resistance. I guess I'll try to sell the Trimline somehow, someday, but don't expect to get much money back.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #36

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Our Dometic on our 13 footer worked better then the one on the 5th wheel which incidently was inverted ontop of the camper. I tried to put it out one day and got beaned. It's now laying in the garage waiting for parts..
Old 04-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #37

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi there.. I'm back with my decision...

This company is excited about their new creation and I promised to share with the Fiberglass community.

Kathy
Allow me to be the first to ask...
How much did it cost?

Francesca
Old 04-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #38

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Boler
Washington
It was $380 for everything (tax and shipping included). It was a custom build and I used a non-standard fabric, so I am thinking that it will be less than this for other folks.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #39

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Hi folks,

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about awnings, and I was wondering if folks have been the happiest with Carefree of Colorado, Trim-Line (Dometic), or Shademaster bag awning products. I love the colors offered by Carefree, but want something well made and approved of by fellow eggs owners.

It will be placed on a 1971 13' Boler.

Pics would be amazing if you are willing to share.

Thanks!

Kathy

Here is my 2 cents in picts
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03199.jpg   DSC03207.jpg  

DSC03201.jpg   DSC03209.jpg  

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richter View Post
Here is my 2 cents in picts
Hi, Paul

Nice closeups of the hardware etc.
Very artistic!
How about a long shot and description of what we're looking at in the above pictures?
What's it on? Is that a Trillium?
Is the awning a Carefree? a Trimline? a Dometic? A brand we haven't heard of?
Or a homemade adaptation?

Always learning,

Francesca
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #41

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
My vote hands down is the Carefree, I've got all 3 the Trimline, Shademaker, and Carefree and I must say the carefree is the best in my opion..Very well made and strong.....RANDY
Old 04-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #42

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Found several of these on E-bay at a GREAT price and they fasten back to the camper and this is "NOT" a bag awning.... was going to buy 2, a 8'er and a 9'er but I called them and they want more for shipping than they do for the AWNING they quoted $134.00 each for shipping!!!!! BOUT HAD'A STROKE!!!!!!!

Super Sport Awning 8.5FT Hardware Sierra Brown 5185520 | eBay

Tags
awning